Player Watch #8: Jack Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if we had our time again we’d have rested him regardless of the Lynch situation.

Its quality over quantity , a fit Reiwoldt could have been the difference in the Essendon game. Instead we play him and he’s a liability, because physically can’t get to contests.

We are talking a 36 year old, who Dimma himself said was banged up.

We’ve played 11 games he should have played 8-9
Agree CP plus we need to make the case why are we playing an aged and banged up Champion if he's not going to be here next year? I would be looking at Biggie or Bauer as they're on our list and it gives us the opportunity to see if they are worthy of being on it. I'm tired of having blokes on our list for 3-4 years and then they just get delisted with hardly a fair go. If either of theses guys show nothing then the benefits will be two more vacancies open on the list. The opposite means we've found either temporary or permanent replacements.

Saying he takes the best back because others will get hammered is non sensical when talking about development. Take on the hard tasks and learn the hard lessons. Get seasoned. This won’t happen hiding in the shadows of Jack.
I would like to see Jack as our pure full forward. Go out in style leading and leaping, a la Roger Merret at the Brizzy Bears. If this is not tenable then neither is his spot in the team, which is sad to think but realistic.

I've been supporting Richmond since the early mid nineties. I wasn't shackled with our 80's failure or save our skins campaign. I supported the club because my Dad supported the club. And my Grandparents supported the club.

It was tough in the nineties. My Dad was apologetic, hoping that I could experience the success and happiness he has seen through the 67-80 period. He had seen the dark day of the late 80s. I was blissfully unaware. Just loved the club. We were brilliant before, and of course we could do it again. It seemed reasonable logic to me.

1995 was the first year I loved AFL. Richo was the attraction. He was young and a star! I didn't know much about the game back then, but he looked liked someone I would like (maybe because he was young and looked like a rock star with his long hair).

Richo as we all know was a brilliant, yet flawed genius. He kept us going. Through that time he was my favourite player.

Then Jack came along...

Another forward from Tassie. We gotta bit of luck with these guys looking at the history.

We were absolutely shot when Jack came in. He was a young player, and in the shadow of his cousin Nick. Richmond as a club were in shambles. We had spent decades in the wilderness. And yet we were only getting worse. the 2008-2009 years were bad. And Richo was coming to an end. It was sad. Richo could always keep our spirits up through the hard times. He cared. He felt the pain of our loses we told ourselves.

By then there was Jack. What to do with Jack? Too skinny to be a forward, not quick enough to be a flanker. What to do with Jack... Even his name was fun. Jack.

2010 ushered in a new era for the Richmond Football club. A new coach with a new unheralded team of nameless players, and a new board. A few promising players like Cotchin and Riewoldt would team up with new drafts like Dustin Martin. A few mid range recruits like Miller, and Maric to help along the way. (I think Maric may have come in a few seasons later but anyway).

2010 stared as badly as it could. So bad that the bookies paid out on any bets for the Tigers winning the winning spoon early in the season. It's pretty crazy to think about it looking back, especially as we didn't win the spoon.

We got our first win in a rainy day in Adelaide against Port Adelaide. I think it might have been round 10 or 11. It had been a rough time till them. But we won. Dimma had his first win as coach. The young players could celebrate! It wasn't much, but it was something.

Then something strange stared happening. A team that was widely believed as the worst in the league stared winning games.

They had a belief that they were better than the footy media said they were.

And it was Jumping Jack Flash as the front man.

He would soon after kick 10 goals in a game against West Coast, and would win that seasons Coleman medal despite Richmond finishing a poorly 15th.

I didn't think I could love a player like I loved Richo, but I did with Jack. Not just because he kicked a lot of goals and took hangers, and won Coleman medals, though they are great achievements. But because he made footy fun again. He was exciting, and he was ours.

Cotchin is rightfully credited with transforming Richmond into a Premiership team. But Riewoldt is similary deserving in my opinion. Cotchin is calm. Jack is passionate. He wears his heart on his sleeve. He feels our pain. The same as Richo. Sometimes he can't control his emotions! He feels our pain. He feels our joy. He matured from a brash talented goal kicker into a great clubman.

Jack is my all time favourite Richmond player. And I didn't think that was possible when he began and Richo retired.

Apologies if I have rambled on a bit, just wanted to show Jack some love because he is, and has been a champion of the club.
Great post.
But it's still Richo for me and forever will be.
Respect what Jack has done for us & his passion for the club.
But Jack had friends in Cotch/Dusty/Shedda & Rance too help carry the load.
Poor ol Richo had none a part from a few on fleeting moments.

I think without Lynch there it's hard to drop him when the other key forwards would have about 12 games between them and they they would pretty much be entirely from Ryan.

That's a bit too raw, we need Jack as the senior head for now. Obviously this is his last year, we all know that.
Keep playing him and the decision will be out of his and the club’s hands.
He’ll simply breakdown.
Trust me, you play sore when you are 22 or 27, not in your 30s.
Rest him up for a few weeks in preparation for a farewell game.
It’s bloody sad watching our premiership heroes being reduced to uncompetitive!

Keep playing him and the decision will be out of his and the club’s hands.
He’ll simply breakdown.
Trust me, you play sore when you are 22 or 27, not in your 30s.
Rest him up for a few weeks in preparation for a farewell game.
It’s bloody sad watching our premiership heroes being reduced to uncompetitive!
IT'S NOT SAD , BUT BLOODY DISGRACEFUL.

He was really struggling on the weekend.
Obviously not moving well and is in desperate need of a week off. If we send him on the road for two weeks I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t break down before the bye and more surprised if he can have any significant impact.

I hope we give Bradtke a game even if he isn’t ready. He’ll learn from it and it might help Jack get through till Lynch can get back

He is not going to get to 800 goals, he is completely cooked...

He will be lucky if he has another 10 goals in him & I'm not joking.
We absolutely will. He's cooked because hes playing injured, isn't getting any games to rest and is the no.1 target and has at least 2 guys on him at all times. Has the start of the season been forgotten? He kicked 4 goals against both the Swans and Demons in back to back games. No surprise this was directly after he was rested for a game.

Problem is we have no one else so we haven't rested him since. I think we will just have to give him a game maybe before the bye and play whoever is slightly tall in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We absolutely will. He's cooked because hes playing injured, isn't getting any games to rest and is the no.1 target and has at least 2 guys on him at all times. Has the start of the season been forgotten? He kicked 4 goals against both the Swans and Demons in back to back games. No surprise this was directly after he was rested for a game.

Problem is we have no one else so we haven't rested him since. I think we will just have to give him a game maybe before the bye and play whoever is slightly tall in the forward line.
Then rest him cause right now he is a liability to the team.

This poor bloke is so old and battered that no named kids are absolutely dominating him. I'm tempted to call the minister for Aged care and report Punt Rd for elderly abuse.

AntiqueSevereBlackrussianterrier-max-1mb.gif

I'm only assuming but with no Bradtke, Biggie, Bauer in the squad and blind Freddie seeing Riewoldt's beyond cooked I'm guessing he's gonna pull the pin with Cotchin in Cotchins 300th game. They can waltz off hand in hand into the sunset as two brave warriors should. With their shields... or on them ;)

gay-sparta.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back