Retired #8: Jason Winderlich

Remove this Banner Ad

So let me get this straight:
Hird 'sacked' and we hear that Howlett and Winderlich are 'looking elsewhere'
Hird confirmed 'safe' and Howlett re-signs and Winderlich is 'staying'

Well played boys. Well played. That is EXACTLY how you get rid of a coach you hate and refuse to play under..

I think it is a case of Quayle being 'right'... I have no doubt that the events did occur.. but perhaps (and I did post this earlier this week) it was more a 'public message to the EFC board'...

Spot on.

Was a bold risky move by Licha and Howlett but it has paid off.

Shows publicly that they disapprove of the Crichton medal night saga and sent a message to the board to hurry up and confirm Hird as coach.

Players now happy. Hird staying

Things suddenly looking rosier

Just once, can we not turn some good news into a Hird vs Bomber speech.
As I said I wasn't trying to..

Having said that.. it is very closely related. Winders is staying because Hird is.

So the reason for the 'good news' is directly related to the Hird vs Bomber thing...

Good news for both clubs IMO

As I posted earlier in the week, I always thought he was worth more to you guys than he would to us. With his injuries and longetity questions, we fairly would see him as a rookie to upgrade before r01 (to make sure the bod is right and in good nick after the pre-season). For you guys, he proves more in terms of leadership and team morale, a no brainer to remain on the main list for you.

If he and Howlett have been talked round though, from your discussions I'm guessing this means they must have been given some assurances on Hird (if you're right his departure was a key reason for their consideration)

I'd still be concerned about others potentially wanting a fresh start, but thats a discussion for another day on another thread. Been a good two days for you guys, enjoy

he was never joining your club.

Now just waiting on Fletch to do the same.

wont be long.

I was being sarcastic..

Like Caro suggested that all the players 'hate' Hird.. so was being ironic.. like how maybe if Howlett and Winders hated Hird so much they wouldn't be staying..

I wasn't referring to Thompson in ANY way shape or form.. at all. Sorry you read in that way.
It's a testament to this board that I really don't know if people are being sarcastic or not. My mistake!

Play on.

It's a testament to this board that I really don't know if people are being sarcastic or not. My mistake!

Play on.

Changing your name has had an effect, your namesake did like to run at people. ;)

And minus the exceptional list management acumen
excuseyou_zpsc97ba84d.gif

Good news day. A win for both clubs I would suggest. I never like to see a club legend leave at the end of their career. Congrats and great to see Harvey joining the coaching panel to add some long term stability regardless of what transpires from here. I wouldn't be surprized if that was a large contributing factor to Winderlich staying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm happy enough that Licha and Howlett are staying....but the WTF is going on internally at our club????

If players were leaving because Hird was gone, and are now staying because he's not, presumably it's because they now feel there is a real commitment from the club to him continuing as coach. I just can't get my head around how this scenario has moved so quickly from one extreme to the other.Regardless of whether you think Hird should stay or go (and I'm in the "Hird camp" FWIW), the inability of this Board to decide a course of action and stick to it is extraordinary....it's freaking amateur hour.

I hate to say it but we remain a club without a real foundation right now....every action we take seems to be isolated, reactive and guided by expediency as opposed to what we actually require...a well thought through plan based on values and principles, with a defined goal at the end of it and the club as whole acting in unison to achieve it.

Leaving aside the playing group who are clearly a highly resiliant, close-knit bunch.....What exactly does the Executive and Board of the Essendon Football Club stand for? Anything? Anything at all?

As I said I wasn't trying to..

Having said that.. it is very closely related. Winders is staying because Hird is.

So the reason for the 'good news' is directly related to the Hird vs Bomber thing...

Depends which way you look at it. Calling it a "Hird vs Bomber thing" presumes that Winderlich wasn't just dissatisfied solely with the treatment of Hird by way of attempting to sack him, but on top of that is averse to Bomber coaching. I think it's a fair assessment to say that Winderlich was opposed to Hird being sacked for exercising a fundamental right, but I think that's a Hird thing, not a Hird against Bomber thing.

Depends which way you look at it. Calling it a "Hird vs Bomber thing" presumes that Winderlich wasn't just dissatisfied solely with the treatment of Hird by way of attempting to sack him, but on top of that is averse to Bomber coaching. I think it's a fair assessment to say that Winderlich was opposed to Hird being sacked for exercising a fundamental right, but I think that's a Hird thing, not a Hird against Bomber thing.
Agree.. hence my original post was a joke on Caro.. nothing at all anti-Bomber.

I'm happy enough that Licha and Howlett are staying....but the WTF is going on internally at our club????

If players were leaving because Hird was gone, and are now staying because he's not, presumably it's because they now feel there is a real commitment from the club to him continuing as coach. I just can't get my head around how this scenario has moved so quickly from one extreme to the other.Regardless of whether you think Hird should stay or go (and I'm in the "Hird camp" FWIW), the inability of this Board to decide a course of action and stick to it is extraordinary....it's freaking amateur hour.

I hate to say it but we remain a club without a real foundation right now....every action we take seems to be isolated, reactive and guided by expediency as opposed to what we actually require...a well thought through plan based on values and principles, with a defined goal at the end of it and the club as whole acting in unison to achieve it.

Leaving aside the playing group who are clearly a highly resiliant, close-knit bunch.....What exactly does the Executive and Board of the Essendon Football Club stand for? Anything? Anything at all?
I'd read it this way as it puts a softer light on the events of the last few weeks;
Board doesn't want to appeal and doesn't want Hird to appeal (fair call)
Hird appeals and the club gets shirty (well within their rights)
Hird exercises his right to justice (well within his rights)
Board says reluctantly, "yeah i guess". (good decision)

Meanwhile, Bomber gets told Hirds leaving and so puts his cards on the table (fair enough)
Hirds not leaving so Bomber looks the villain (bad luck)

End result is that Bomber decided that he wants to coach at the AFL level and we can't offer that. He will go his way and i don't really see why there should be hard feelings on any side.

Fact is, no board of any organization is going to cruise through waters as muddy as this...

I, like yourself, am very much in the "Cya Hird" group. But seriously, your s**t is getting very tiresome.

Do you have to always be a contrarian? How about just being happy that we have retained a great servant of the club?
Don't you know?

This is "his club". Club legends like Fletcher can * off, according to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back