Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

I suspect we are happy to pay 700 - 750k. I highly doubt our cap would be on the brink of unravelling all other plans for the sake of 100k. Wait till the last minute and if he rather the 800k offer then just match the bid to keep the squad together.

Yes you need to manage the list for sustained future success, but this squad is primed to push for the next 3 premierships. We can't afford to just shed competent role players or x factor types during this period.

I 100% believe his is not going anywhere... his manager is simply doing his job, identifying his true worth in the market, and advising Will to wait... stay by all means, but know what you are giving up to do so! He's bought a unit in area, his best mates are here, and the entire team knows they are on the cusp of something special... he's not leaving. (Sorry GUH)

Everything else is just media hype, a storm in a tea-cup!

I 100% believe his is not going anywhere... his manager is simply doing his job, identifying his true worth in the market, and advising Will to wait... stay by all means, but know what you are giving up to do so! He's bought a unit in area, his best mates are here, and the entire team knows they are on the cusp of something special... he's not leaving. (Sorry GUH)

Everything else is just media hype, a storm in a tea-cup!
It's not

What? I should believe that because you said so? Sorry I don't work that way...

Unless you're either Will or his agent in disguise, you'll need more than that to make me re-think my opinion.

What? I should believe that because you said so? Sorry I don't work that way...

Unless you're either Will or his agent in disguise, you'll need more than that to make me re-think my opinion.
It's not a storm in a tea cup , we are signing , or have signed more important players and we won'[t offer 800 for a part time player

It's not a storm in a tea cup , we are signing , or have signed more important players and we won'[t offer 800 for a part time player
Where did I say anything about how much he is being offered or how much he is asking for? Where did I mention whether he was our most or least or anything in between signing?

Part-time player? Really? Rubbish!

Emotion aside, if he is offered 800 x 6 years as has been bandied about he’d be mad not to take it, and we’d be mad to match it.
Considering cap increases, 800 in a couple of years will be considered average wage. It may seem a little excessive for now but over 6 years it's not really any skin off the nose, essentially would be paying an extra couple 100k than desired over a couple of years. I feel like there's more to lose being too conservative

Every player has their price, both in terms of what they're willing to accept to stay at the club. And also what the club would consider paying.

I hope we can get a deal done. But if he's getting big money offers elsewhere and it's well above what we're willing to pay. Then it's a fairly simple proposition.

Sure Hayward isn't 'critical' to the team, but we want to keep as many if our experienced players together.

It would be great if the players all came together and accepted slightly less to keep the promising group together... but it needs buy in from the entire playing group. And there will be players who look elsewhere for opportunity, but hopefully they're in the bottom 6 rather than the top 10 of the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am confident he will stay.

As a RFA we have ultimate control and get to view market price before deciding.

Essentially it will be whether he is willing to give up $$. If it’s $50k-$100k over 6 years that is ALOT to give up though ($300k-$600k).

Doesn’t destroy our time if he leaves so I think this will be a watching note. Will probably depend on how good the lists are of the other parties. If they aren’t contending I can’t see it….

Carlton interest looks like tyre kicking, the have less cap room than us!!!!

Emotion aside, if he is offered 800 x 6 years as has been bandied about he’d be mad not to take it, and we’d be mad to match it.
See, I reckon you're wrong there... Horse knocked back Norths, Heeney knocked back Norths; both were offered significant money to go, but chose to stay. They're not alone, it happens all the time... and plenty of players across all clubs choose to stay.

As I understand it, his current deal was back ended, so while he is in the top 25% of earners this year, it's because he was under-paid the last few years. So both the Swans & he have known this was coming, because they set it up that way...

See, I reckon you're wrong there... Horse knocked back Norths, Heeney knocked back Norths; both were offered significant money to go, but chose to stay. They're not alone, it happens all the time... and plenty of players across all clubs choose to stay.

As I understand it, his current deal was back ended, so while he is in the top 25% of earners this year, it's because he was under-paid the last few years. So both the Swans & he have known this was coming, because they set it up that way...
I get your point, but North is probably the worst example you could think of. If I were Hayward no amount of money could be significant enough for me to go to North.
Carlton is in or moving into a premiership window, and that is a different proposition altogether.
Hayward may take "unders", however that's defined, to stay. If so, great.
If there is some sort of understanding between Hayward and the club, why put off talks?

I get your point, but North is probably the worst example you could think of. If I were Hayward no amount of money could be significant enough for me to go to North.
Carlton is in or moving into a premiership window, and that is a different proposition altogether.
Hayward may take "unders", however that's defined, to stay. If so, great.
If there is some sort of understanding between Hayward and the club, why put off talks?
Yes, North was probably a bad example, but the premise is sound, I think

I didn't say there was an understanding, I wouldn't know one way or the other...

I Agree.. plenty of players knock back bigger offers. Hopefully he is one of them.

Every player has their price, both in terms of what they're willing to accept to stay at the club. And also what the club would consider paying.

I hope we can get a deal done. But if he's getting big money offers elsewhere and it's well above what we're willing to pay. Then it's a fairly simple proposition.

Sure Hayward isn't 'critical' to the team, but we want to keep as many if our experienced players together.

It would be great if the players all came together and accepted slightly less to keep the promising group together... but it needs buy in from the entire playing group. And there will be players who look elsewhere for opportunity, but hopefully they're in the bottom 6 rather than the top 10 of the list.
Another key factor in determining price is if the offering club is a direct opposition in terms of the premiership race. It's one thing dropping Wilbur off the list, and it's another thing him joining a premiership contender. It's the old '8 point game' but in terms of premiership ingredients.

Carlton are a way better side when Martin plays, which is rarely. Not only is Hayward a dramatic upgrade on Martin quality wise, but he's also very durable.

If he's going to Adelaide, then he's worth 700k to us. If he's going to Carlton then he's worth 800k to us. Match the offer if it's coming from the blues, simple as that.

Another key factor in determining price is if the offering club is a direct opposition in terms of the premiership race. It's one thing dropping Wilbur off the list, and it's another thing him joining a premiership contender. It's the old '8 point game' but in terms of premiership ingredients.

Carlton are a way better side when Martin plays, which is rarely. Not only is Hayward a dramatic upgrade on Martin quality wise, but he's also very durable.

If he's going to Adelaide, then he's worth 700k to us. If he's going to Carlton then he's worth 800k to us. Match the offer if it's coming from the blues, simple as that.
Nah it’s not a zero sum game. Baggers can only pay that bill via losing a few quality players this year too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back