Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
For those with Foxtel, who dont already know. They have some 90's games on fox footy. I love the old games.....some memories and observations.

- I was always a massive fan of Matera - but watching Dean Kemp...he is unbelievable. When I was younger I dont think I appreciated how silky the bloke was.

- Watching the 94 QF vs Pies....Matera & Kemp are goo worthy. Raising a question, which is the better combo out of Judd/Cuz & Roo/Kemp?

- Also, some of the treatment of Lewis from opposition fans was disgraceful, Adam Goodes gets nowhere near the same level of abuse. Its like Lewis was one of the most hated people in Australia in the 90's.

- Umpires seem to not pay free kicks when the players act it up. Love this....even if its a free and you try to milk it you get nothing - deters any acting from players.:thumbsu:

- Does anyone know who was the crows biggest rival in the mid 90's?

- Shep is Guy McKenna mk II.

- We need a Woosha type player. I wish Beau was able to line up in the GF.

- If eagles were on roids....wtf happened to Brett Heady?

- Wish MM won another premiership with the team. Even when some premiership players got old they had heaps of young talent coming in with Gherig, White, Wirra, Morrison, Gardiner then Phil Matera & Cousins....

Cheers

Last edited:

Kemp is my favourite Eagle of all time :thumbsu:

Watching some of those games i noticed how much Woosha was slowing down after 95.
Yep...same. I hated MM for dropping Woosha (mind u, a few years after he started slowing down) but he did what needed to be done. Could always excuse Woosh tho coz the intimidation factor made up for the lose of pace etc.

I remember the old man telling me how much the Dockers were scared of Woosha. His mate was the Eagles Ansett rep and knew a few players etc. I never truly understood just how important his intimidation factor was. We never lost a derby with Woosh playibg (im pretty sure)...

Last edited:
Anyone watch the Pies v WCE game in 2002? Judds debut...damn that was a heck of a debut. Really funny at the end when Woosha came from the box a Pies fan put his scarf in his face and Woosha turned around and yelled at them.

Yep - how good is he in the 4th as a first game player. Every time he touches it he damages the pies. But the level-headedness for a young fella reminds me a bit of Hacksaw. *crosses fingers*

They had a young Simmo playing last night, followed up by a game in the ochre. Easily one of the greatest nights in Australian Television history.

I expect a peak audience of at least 2 million

That 06 comeback game was great viewing. I forgot how many important goals Stenglein popped up for, he kicked 3 in the last quarter and a bit against the cats, the one from outside 50 in the 05 QF and the winner in the last minute against the Swans in 06. For all the talk of Hunter to FF, it was a real variety in our forward line, Stenglein, Chick, Embers, Wirra and RoJo all would spend patches deep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Related to a discussion in the Favourite Eagle Ever thread

I didn't realise how dirty Geelong was in the '92 Grand Final!

Serious elbows to the face of Pyke and Evans within the first 6 or so minutes
246278l.jpg

Followed by a Taylor Adams style knee drop to the back of Brennan's head:
2m7i7f4.jpg

246278l.jpg

2m7i7f4.jpg
I think most of the Vic teams would do this when WC starting really winning games. We had a lot of skilled players that they would target. Then we bulked upped and dished out a fair bit as well.:thumbsu:

246278l.jpg

2m7i7f4.jpg
Surprised they managed to get those elbows and that dropped knee executed so well carrying their handbags and all.

Judd then
Matera Kemp Cousins could all be argued as the same tier

The early 00s guernseys were so loose and shiny

Fletcher is better than Masten just for his 06 GF

Back