A Carlton vs Collingwood grand final

Remove this Banner Ad

Well if anything it would prove how ridiculous having the final in Melbourne every year is.

Just can't be taken seriously as a National sport with this arrangement.
How so. F.A. cup is played at Wembley each year. Superbowl is played at a random city that pays the most for it. World cricket test championship is played at Lords each year. Plenty of sports played at the same venue each year.

You should honestly pay a visit to specsavers if you cant tell the difference between a collingwood and carlton jumper or straight out ask for an eye transplant

This never used to be a problem until Collingwood changed their 'home' strip to have a black background and white numbers.

Carlton typically wear a dark uniform with white numbers. Historically, Collingwood wore black and white even stripes with black numbers. Adding a black panel to the uniform and thicker black strips white numbers creates a clash particularly from the back. This is made worse IMO because it is for Collingwood home games, and therefore the opponent (Carlton) wear white shorts, so now both teams have a mix of dark and white, with the same colour back and same colour numbers.

By ‘Essendon supporter’ he means he just nominated the most successful team when he entered parliament to make it look like he had a clue.

Probably wouldn’t even know who was playing this week…
Dan Andrews strikes me as the type of limp dick that would be chuffed winning the Douglas Wilkie Medal.

Neutrals would have to go for Carlton.

The comeback has been, I won't say unprecedented, but it would be an inspirational story that would be talked about 100 years from now.

3 months ago they were talking bottom 4. Voss gone. Now they 2 games away from winning the flag.

It would be a historical moment in Australian sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most Richmond supporters would probably prefer a Collingwood win over Carlton, due to the love for Craig McCrae and respect for Markov. And we probably dislike Carlton a tad more from a rivalry perspective.

Interestingly Carlton have beat Collingwood in 4 out of 5 grand finals.

Well if anything it would prove how ridiculous having the final in Melbourne every year is.

Just can't be taken seriously as a National sport with this arrangement.
Correct.

You’d also have a commentary team hardly interested without a big 4 story or Cyril Rioli ducking to circle jerk over. It wouldn’t happen, obviously, but replacing the commentary team would be a start.

The comeback has been, I won't say unprecedented, but it would be an inspirational story that would be talked about 100 years from now.

3 months ago they were talking bottom 4. Voss gone. Now they 2 games away from winning the flag.

Neutrals wouldn’t have to go for Carlton lol I won’t be.

We will probably get a GWS v Brisbane grand final.

In all seriousness, would love to see it, obviously because I am a Carlton supporter but growing up these two teams have always had this huge rivalry. Regardless of how they are going they always come together and draw a huge crowd. Seeing it in a final, let alone a grand final. Knowing if the MCG was twice the size they'd still fill it because it's them. It would be a bit of a special thing.

It's been a long time since the traditional top 4 teams have been involved in a grand final.

Grand finals are always huge and there's not always something that adds extra to that. Richmond, Geelong, Sydney and The Bulldogs breaking huge droughts. Adelaide and Port Adelaide's first. Things like that sweeten them.

This has Collingwood looking to equal the premiership ladder with Essendon and Carlton and Carlton looking to break the shackles and be the outright leader. Plus all the history and all the rivalry they share. Both being the team their fans most like to beat.

It would be a lot of fun. Always more fun too when there is more than the premiership at stake.

For Carlton it would be two comebacks. The comeback this season has been immense but the 23 year comeback means a hell of a lot more.

Go back 23 years. Carlton had never won a wooden spoon, had a better win loss record over all other other clubs bar Port Adelaide, had the most premierships out of all the other clubs. Were the most successful club of all time. That's how we entered the new century. Then it all fell apart.

23 years on Carlton have been probably the worst team in the competition this century.

Since 2000 have played 6 finals series. Been Bottom four 9 times and won five wooden spoons.

Prior to last Friday night Carlton have not won two finals in a season since 1999 and that nearly didn't happen as they only beat Essendon by a point that year. Prior to that it was 1995 that they had won more than two finals.

This will be the first time Carlton have progressed to a preliminary final in 23 years.

The Blues have been a broken club since 2000, they have been bloody terrible.

Definitely a story of two comebacks brewing here.

I think Brisbane will get there, because they're the best team in it but a Blues/Pies final that, in my opinion, would be close to an even money game would be the biggest thing Vic has seen in my lifetime.

For what it's worth, I think every outcome in these prelims leads to a great GF match-up.

Plz. They were 6 points out of the 8. You would think by the narrative they were level with West Coast.

Wanting Carlton or Collingwood to win is like taking the side of Al-Qaeda or Islamic State.

Plz. They were 6 points out of the 8. You would think by the narrative they were level with West Coast.

Wanting Carlton or Collingwood to win is like taking the side of Al-Qaeda or Islamic State.
It's probably a bit like when Richmond won in 2017.

The older generation remembered Richmond as a powerhouse which had won plenty of flags, a formidable opponent and a fierce rival and didn't want them to win.

The younger generation had never known this, they just knew them as a club which had always been poor to mediocre so they wanted them to win.

Anyone under 35 would be the same. Carlton have always been s**t to them so might jump on the bandwagon which to me is strange as we have never really been a club where people jump on our bandwagon. Apart from the last 23 years we have been the tall poppy. But so were Richmond at one stage, then they lost that and the year they won the flag they had a lot on the bandwagon.

Collingwood have always been up there the last 23 years. Won a flag in 2010 which is in most people's memory.

Anyone over 35, different story, they remember Carlton for who they were, unlikely to want Carlton to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back