domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
I was seriously crook back in 1992 and Tony Shaw heard about it via one of my best mates, another Pie player, Leigh Carlson. Tony rang me and invited me and my son to meet him outside the gates of Vic Park next to the caretaker's home and watch our clash with the Crows. I was very excited and left hospital on the Saturday morning before my wife drove me and my son to our rendezvous.

Tony was there in his Collingwood blazer and slacks and he shook us by the hand and led us through the backslappers and into the clubrooms. I was allowed to watch the warm up and it was really like being at a local suburban club. (we were playing Adelaide and won by five points.) The facilities as you can see were very basic. It's hard to believe such a powerful club and sporting institution could be training at such a rundown ground with such inadequate changerooms.

My son and I were seated with the player's wives and families and sadly had to leave at half time due to illness.

A few months later Tony rang me in hospital just before our final against the Saints out at Waverley. I remember walking up and down the corridors of the hospital with my drip stand wheeling along beside me and feeling sick as we made a late charge against the Saints only to fall short.

The Collingwood Football Club has been such an integral part of my life. There have been other occasions when they have been kind and accommodating during a time of loss.

I'll never forget the day Greg Swann rang me at home after I wrote a letter voicing my frustration over allowing Paul Williams to leave our club. I was stunned to think he would bother but he spoke to me at length about these new recruits in James Clement and Brodie Holland and the feeling around the club being very optimistic. He even had to stop the call to attend to something and promised he would ring back to continue our discussion. I thought he was politely ending our chat. But no. He did ring me back and we spoke for another twenty minutes. Unbelievable.

My brother had written a really moving poem about the connection our dad and family had with Collingwood after our dad died and Stu asked the club if it was possible the framed poem could find a place somewhere on the walls at the now AIA Centre. Greg Swann said he would see it was done and indeed it was. I have deep respect for that man.

I've told the story before of Bobby Rose agreeing to meet with my dad and brother when my dad was in the early stages of dementia but could still rattle off any fact or player's name at Collingwood. Bobby was dad's all time favourite player. Bobby not only had a cup of tea with my dad and brother in the old social club but after led dad down onto the hallowed turf and regaled him and my brother with the story of the day he kicked three goals in time on to steal a miraculous win against Essendon. Dad had told us that story many times and now Bobby re-enacted it cheekily saying he kicked the last goal from 60 metres out.

I know others have similar stories. This is why non-football people can never understand the passion true fans have for their club and its history.

How many of our players do you recognise in these warm up pics?

Floreat Pica.

Attachments

• 20230404_202301.jpg
    20230404_202301.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 20230404_202310.jpg
    20230404_202310.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 216
I recognise no-one in that photo. And the jauntiness of those hung portraits speaks to the level of care around the place.

But what is undeniable is the passion in which you speak of the players and their connection with you. Damn right if a good proportion of players get tarred unfairly with the brush of arrogance and/or detachment from real life. It aint the case. So many of those young fellas are just like we are/were, just getting through life and dealing with everything one day at a time (albeit with a lot more public recognition than we get).

Great story Domus, fantastic insight and yet another page in the book of Collingwood's side-by-side history.

pic 1: L to R

Crosisca, Rowe, Francis, Sav, Pert, Scotty Russell, big Wes

pic 2; L to R:

Gayfer v P.Williams?
Wes v McGuane
? v ?
Crosisca v Banks?

well i dont have any stories like that, domie. I never made it to the inner sanctum..... i feel a bit foolish now after so many years riding the emotions....

I was seriously crook back in 1992 and Tony Shaw heard about it via one of my best mates, another Pie player, Leigh Carlson. Tony rang me and invited me and my son to meet him outside the gates of Vic Park next to the caretaker's home and watch our clash with the Crows. I was very excited and left hospital on the Saturday morning before my wife drove me and my son to our rendezvous.

Tony was there in his Collingwood blazer and slacks and he shook us by the hand and led us through the backslappers and into the clubrooms. I was allowed to watch the warm up and it was really like being at a local suburban club. (we were playing Adelaide and won by five points.) The facilities as you can see were very basic. It's hard to believe such a powerful club and sporting institution could be training at such a rundown ground with such inadequate changerooms.

My son and I were seated with the player's wives and families and sadly had to leave at half time due to illness.

A few months later Tony rang me in hospital just before our final against the Saints out at Waverley. I remember walking up and down the corridors of the hospital with my drip stand wheeling along beside me and feeling sick as we made a late charge against the Saints only to fall short.

The Collingwood Football Club has been such an integral part of my life. There have been other occasions when they have been kind and accommodating during a time of loss.

I'll never forget the day Greg Swann rang me at home after I wrote a letter voicing my frustration over allowing Paul Williams to leave our club. I was stunned to think he would bother but he spoke to me at length about these new recruits in James Clement and Brodie Holland and the feeling around the club being very optimistic. He even had to stop the call to attend to something and promised he would ring back to continue our discussion. I thought he was politely ending our chat. But no. He did ring me back and we spoke for another twenty minutes. Unbelievable.

My brother had written a really moving poem about the connection our dad and family had with Collingwood after our dad died and Stu asked the club if it was possible the framed poem could find a place somewhere on the walls at the now AIA Centre. Greg Swann said he would see it was done and indeed it was. I have deep respect for that man.

I've told the story before of Bobby Rose agreeing to meet with my dad and brother when my dad was in the early stages of dementia but could still rattle off any fact or player's name at Collingwood. Bobby was dad's all time favourite player. Bobby not only had a cup of tea with my dad and brother in the old social club but after led dad down onto the hallowed turf and regaled him and my brother with the story of the day he kicked three goals in time on to steal a miraculous win against Essendon. Dad had told us that story many times and now Bobby re-enacted it cheekily saying he kicked the last goal from 60 metres out.

I know others have similar stories. This is why non-football people can never understand the passion true fans have for their club and its history.

Floreat Pica.

Lovely stuff, thank you.

I was given access to the inner sanctum just over 10 years later. The company I worked for was commissioned to write a heritage report on Vic Park not long before the club left.

So I was paid to be there. Someone had to do it.😍

The (100s) photos I took are in the company archives, so I don’t have any. But - for some reason - I just had to inspect the rooms when the boys were training. There were three of us on the job, and we got some strange looks. Greg Swann was very nice as I recall. As was Rocca.

But the conditions were appalling. The place was falling apart. It was only a few weeks later that the club held the famous auction where they sold anything they could remove from the place. Including clumps of soil from the oval.

Spent a wonderful two days there, dragging it out as long as I could. Was in September and yep, we were playing finals.

Floreat Pica.

Good on you Domie

Thanks for sharing !

well i dont have any stories like that, domie. I never made it to the inner sanctum..... i feel a bit foolish now after so many years riding the emotions....
You love the Pies. That is more than enough reason to be passionate and emotional about them. Inner Sanctums are very interesting all the same.
Good on you Domie

Thanks for sharing !
Thanks for reading it! :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back