A-League A-League Men Round 8 - The Walkout Melbourne Derby

A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the ultras/active supporters just supported the only club in Melbourne to begin with, so latched themselves to them.

And yes higher proportion of fans means greater likelihood, still obviously doesn’t excuse them considering their attendances would be lower on average than all but 2 AFL sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, put it this way.

If I was a player and a flare was tossed around my feet, I’d be off to my Players Association on Monday asking the following :-

1. My club has me working in an unsafe work environment.

2. What is my club doing about my ( team ) security ?. Eg. Flares, pitch invasion etc.

3. Sic my lawyer to draw up a claim for damages ( shock tactic !!! ).

I’d do all this, if the League deemed that me lobbing a flare out of my “work area”, is a suspendable offence.

WorkSafe are standing by on the phone, “dangerous working environment” is a term that lawyers love. $$$$$$$$$$$.

Think you are getting a match suspension confused with Glover being suspended from his job.

He wont be. Will continue to get paid and be able to train.

No lawyer would go anywhere a disciplanry sanction.

Ok, put it this way.

If I was a player and a flare was tossed around my feet, I’d be off to my Players Association on Monday asking the following :-

2. What is my club doing about my ( team ) security ?. Eg. Flares, pitch invasion etc.

I’d do all this, if the League deemed that me lobbing a flare out of my “work area”, is a suspendable offence.

WorkSafe are standing by on the phone, “dangerous working environment” is a term that lawyers love. $$$$$$$$$$$.

Glover would be lucky to get a gig in Europe ever if he pulled that sort of action

Ok, put it this way.

Wonder if Izzo is going to do that.

Any Adult who wears a bum bag should be locked up and banned for life from sporting events

Had an end of season bash with the local soccer club on Saturday arvo before the derby at a few pubs in the city. Was horrified at how many of those things are worn around these days. Guess it is the thing atm. Wouldn't be caught with one of those going out back in the 00's.

You're could be right, but I'm not into speculation. I'm into the timeline of events and the facts.

1. A member or members from City active threw several flares at the Melbourne goal and in the direction of the Melbourne goal keeper.
2. The Melbourne goals were damaged.
3. Izzo retrieved the flares from the field and placed them behind goal for security to deal with them.
4. A member or members from Melbourne active threw several flares at the City goal and in the direction of the City goal keeper.
5. A cameraman was allegedly hit by one of the flares.
6. Glover recklessly threw the flares into a crowded area.
7. A portion Melbourne active supporters invaded the pitch, damaged the city goals, approached Glover, one member assaulted Glover with a metal bucket.
8. Melbourne active supporters leave the field at the direction of ground security.

At any moment in a highly charged situation, actions can douse or ignite the environment further.

As an employee of a club in the League, Glover had to be better. He will be punished accordingly by the League for his actions. He amplified the situation. This is fact, not speculation. Up until the moment Glover launched a flare (without even looking at where he was throwing it mind you) into a crowded area, the situation was still under control, just as it was at the City end and their flares. Izzo was responsible. Glover wasn't it. For godsake, in every video on the event, the first gasps from attendees are when Glover's flare hits the crowd. Absolutely moronic.

And City don't deserve any points because their active support smuggled in and threw multiple flares as well. Where's the consideration for Izzo's safety? There appears to be none because his outcome wasn't poor. He managed his outcome effectively!

No points out of this for either club. They either replay behind closed doors, or abandon the match with no points allocated to either team.

People were throwing flares.

The situation was not under control at all.

Think there needs to be a law passed around the use of flares. Firstly, ID should/must be produced to buy them and stored on file. Secondly, it must be mandated that within 12 months of them expiring that they are returned.

Thirdly, there should be a penalty of $10,000 or 6 months jail for anyone using them apart from their designated use - in emergency situations.

First offence 10k fine or 6 months jail. Second offence - 30k fine or 12 months jail.

Third offence - A conviction recorded. Judge to decide on a penalty. Max penalty 5 years jail or a $200k fine.

This will prevent their non-use in not just sporting environments but in general. This is a law that needs to be mandated and passed yesterday.

Is it time for a version of Football Banning Orders?

What does having a Football Banning Order (FBO) mean?​

Offenders are banned from every football ground in the UK and are not eligible to go to the national team’s matches – even those played abroad. Indeed, it may be that fans are forced to hand their passports into the police station for such occasions or told to report to a police station on the day of the game.

Furthermore, they can be banned from using public transport on matchdays and prevented from going to certain places like town and city centres, railways stations and pubs and bars during certain hours.

Specific conditions can be imposed on a case-by-case basis.

Breaching the terms of an FBO means that offenders can be fined and sentenced to prison for up to six months.

Is it time for a version of Football Banning Orders?

Yes but for all sports.

Didn't Melbourne Victory FC promise a screen and police chec for all active support members when they disbanded/suspended the North Side Terrace several years ago after yet another unsavoury incident involving a minority of ultra Hardcore Horde nuts ? What happened to that policy ?

Definitely needs to be reimplemented and MVFC active support support banned for the rest of the season

The mostly decent and law abiding Victory fans should not be punished by having the Vuck play behind closed doors.

Hope those flogs who assaulted Tom Glover face some serious jail time as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't Melbourne Victory FC promise a screen and police chec for all active support members when they disbanded/suspended the North Side Terrace several years ago after yet another unsavoury incident involving a minority of ultra Hardcore Horde nuts ? What happened to that policy ?

Definitely needs to be reimplemented and MVFC active support support banned for the rest of the season

The mostly decent and law abiding Victory fans should not be punished by having the Vuck play behind closed doors.

Hope those flogs who assaulted Tom Glover face some serious jail time as well.

Yes mate. Many of those that invaded were banned by the club. Known trouble makers. This was not a MVFC home game - their details had been provided to stadium management / security.

MVFC active support for the most part do the right thing. I'd say the penalties will target the active support area for the most part.

He should. I’m a city member but there’s no excuse for objects being thrown on the pitch. The first flare thrown on the pitch should have seen officials send security down there or pause the game.

My point was it's possible to do that while also acting responsibly on the field.

Vape/smokes, Sunnies etc.

How much s**t do you want in your pockets

How much s**t do you need to take to a football match? Don't you put sunnies on your head like a normal person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back