A League Offseason Talk 2015/16

Remove this Banner Ad

In reality it only benefits the 'big money' teams.

In reality it only benefits the 'big money' teams.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about also.

Definitely good for the likes of Victory, City, Sydney and probably the Wanderers (maybe Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane - if their ownership woes get resolved) but for the smaller clubs might be a bit of a challenge.

While it may diminish the 'level' playing field to a degree, I can see why the decision has been made - the MLS has been booming and getting plenty of big name talent from Europe so increasing the number of marquee players in the A League may help give our own competition a boost and generate more interest. Will be interesting if we start to see a more defined 'elite' group of clubs (like a big 3 or 4).

I'm getting really sick of the PFA's money grabbing antics. You only have to look at Central Coast, Brisbane and Newcastles situation to understand there isn't more money that can be distributed.
We are at a stage where a majority of clubs are attempted to reduce losses whilst a few stable clubs are making small profits or coming close to breaking even.

Generally uncle Frank rules with an iron fist so I can't see the FFA budging to the PFA when we have to keep the owners happy. After all they are the ones funding a majority of all this.

Professional sportsmen complaining about low pay............. what a shock.

I'm getting really sick of the PFA's money grabbing antics. You only have to look at Central Coast, Brisbane and Newcastles situation to understand there isn't more money that can be distributed.
We are at a stage where a majority of clubs are attempted to reduce losses whilst a few stable clubs are making small profits or coming close to breaking even.

Generally uncle Frank rules with an iron fist so I can't see the FFA budging to the PFA when we have to keep the owners happy. After all they are the ones funding a majority of all this.

Agreed PRF - if I'm not mistaken, the salary cap has increased every season since the competition kicked off and as soon as they freeze it for the next 2 seasons, the PFA seem to kick up a fuss. The players are still getting paid handsomely and getting to do a job many would gladly do if they had the ability. I think most clubs (even the 'successful' ones) are still mostly operating at losses or barely breaking even, increasing the cap will only put more pressure on them. Ultimately, allowing clubs to sign 2 marquees will ultimately help draw bigger crowds and grow the league in the long run so they can potentially sustain bigger salary caps.

Big changes just been made by FFA regarding the Marquees.

http://www.melbournevictory.com.au/...ry-cap-regulations/118lp4i6u0luu1al2gpa8r27gx

Although it may benifit Victory in the short term, this is a good change for the league in the long run to attract more high profile marquees.
The problem is that there's only a couple of teams that can afford to fill the marquee spots with high profile players. Benny K and Delpierre are good examples of what you can recruit without paying the world but not sure it brought any new fans to the games like a Del Pierro did.

Jets have signed Leonardo Vitor Santiago as our marquee. Never heard of him before but seems to have had a successful career in the Eredivisie.

Also had to have a chuckle at the person who updated his wikipedia page haha - probably some deluded Mariners fan. :p

Jets have signed Leonardo Vitor Santiago as our marquee. Never heard of him before but seems to have had a successful career in the Eredivisie.

Also had to have a chuckle at the person who updated his wikipedia page haha - probably some deluded Mariners fan. :p

the bloke seems decent. with these players its often a quesiton of mentality. if he thinks it will be a walk in the park think again

the bloke seems decent. with these players its often a quesiton of mentality. if he thinks it will be a walk in the park think again
100% correct I think a lot of players who come here think there class will be a cut above and it will be easy. Even some ex soccer roos fit into that mind set and have had a bit of a rude shock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% correct I think a lot of players who come here think there class will be a cut above and it will be easy. Even some ex soccer roos fit into that mind set and have had a bit of a rude shock.

As long as he turns out better than Mario Jardel, he should be okay! :p

In other news, Thompson is expected to gain the Jets' licence from the FFA in the near future. Good stuff!

Holy ******* s**t, nuts scenes in the SA state league yesterday.

Cumberland go into the final round one point ahead of United (2nd) and Olympic (3rd). Cumberland go 2-0 up against Adelaide Hills with 20 to go, only to concede two injury time goals after Hills had their keeper sent off under (apparently) harsh circumstances. Adelaide won 12-3, with Doni Pollock scoring six or seven and walking away with the Golden Boot (34 goals for the season). Olympic won 2-4 away at Noarlunga. So it ended up with AU going up automatically from 1st and Olympic going to the playoffs against Pirates in the next week or so. Cumby dropped from 1st to 3rd in about 120 seconds, and will stay in the state league next season.

And the champions only get stronger with Bozanic. The wealthiest teams just keep getting more powerful. What a surprise.

Jets revealed their kits for the new season.

Awesome to see the Gold kit (third kit) make a comeback, would love to see it come back as our home kit next season.
10505560_10153696842343854_8307682521855279214_n.jpg

Also, not sure if its been mentioned but I saw earlier in the week that the A League clubs rejected another push by the PFA to increase the salary cap by $1m this season and another $2m the season after that.

Apparently collectively the losses for the owners last season is around $17m.

Personally, I think the players are asking for a bit much. Getting more money is all well and good but if it puts more clubs under financial pressure then its hardly going to be good for the long term future of the league. It's always should be about getting 'sustainable' growth IMO.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...s-hit-out-at-pfa/story-e6frf423-1227519173662

Jets revealed their kits for the new season.

Awesome to see the Gold kit (third kit) make a comeback, would love to see it come back as our home kit next season.
10505560_10153696842343854_8307682521855279214_n.jpg

i hate BLK logo sitting like that. looks like its been stitched on.

i hate BLK logo sitting like that. looks like its been stitched on.

Yeah does a bit! BLK (judging by some of the stuff they've given for our Tiges) don't seem exactly like the top shelf of sports merchandise. :confused:

The red one looks far too much like Adelaide United's

Thankfully that's our keeper's kit - though will be interesting to see what we do when we actually play them! :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back