A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone that puts the league first with a long term view over worrying about their individual bonuses doing short term solutions that band aid over cracks.

Paramount deal has absolutely cooked the league, the NSW centric focus, the 2 terrible expansion clubs, etc. It's very bad, most fans would have done a better job than the current crop of idiots

I do like the idea of Canberra coming into the competition, they have a legit football history in this country, but i would have brought a club back to NE Queensland/Townsville before Auckland, killing the Fury off was a massive mistake by the FFA.

I also hope Gold Coast get another A League team again too.

And Don't get me started on Junior/Grass roots football registration fees either.

Anyone that puts the league first with a long term view over worrying about their individual bonuses doing short term solutions that band aid over cracks.

Paramount deal has absolutely cooked the league, the NSW centric focus, the 2 terrible expansion clubs, etc. It's very bad, most fans would have done a better job than the current crop of idiots

I'd agree with the rights.

The zenith of A League in this country was Super Saturday's on Fox that led straight into the Premier League post 11pm. Going to the night game then going home in time for the first live premier league game used to be so great.

As unfortunate as reduncy is, let's hope it allows the competitions to be run better and they can focus on running a successful competition.

never good thing i took my gf to her first a league match at aami, she enjoyed watching oakleigh cannons play in the middle of winter over the A league , like wtf are you doing as a league to get that result?

now i won't pretend to know the money bit but why did they over look south melbourne entering the A league over a country team Western United who have zero fans in the country?

regulations need to happen i reckon the 26 rounds are to many, so many games mean zero.
I'd watch NPL any day over the A-League especially a team like Oakleigh.

Oh and they overlooked South Melbourne over racism and being stubborn. It would look really bad for those who rejected South in the past to allow them in now and watch them out perform other franchises.

There is no passion at the highest level in Australia. They sell to the highest bidders and have no interest in legitimate football clubs with history and connections to the community at grass roots.

I'd watch NPL any day over the A-League especially a team like Oakleigh.

Oh and they overlooked South Melbourne over racism and being stubborn. It would look really bad for those who rejected South in the past to allow them in now and watch them out perform other franchises.

There is no passion at the highest level in Australia. They sell to the highest bidders and have no interest in legitimate football clubs with history and connections to the community at grass roots.
spot on man, what is funny is watching a team like RB leipzig be created, it took over a team in the 5th divy yet has more history then all of the A league teams put together, heck i'd follow them over RB western united.

still time for the A league to move the goals, but they will never move them ,regulation, salary cap, TV rights have been a failure.

spot on man, what is funny is watching a team like RB leipzig be created, it took over a team in the 5th divy yet has more history then all of the A league teams put together, heck i'd follow them over RB western united.

still time for the A league to move the goals, but they will never move them ,regulation, salary cap, TV rights have been a failure.

Correct, but Leipzig is a huge city, 600,000 population.

What is Melbourne Victory? Yep Melbourne

What is Melbourne City? I guess Melbourne too?

Western United? West of Melbourne I guess...

The scorched earth on the NSL was very misguided.

And now they are happy for them to be in the Australia Cup.

Now they realise they need more teams...why not get some NPL participants in.

Whatever suits them...

This. We are all just sitting around waiting for some competent administrators to get things moving forward again. If they hire another muppet, heaven help us.

On the park, the league is in really good shape. But off it, it's depressing. We've been run by morons since Gallop. He inherited a strong hand then flushed it down the toilet. Along came Danny... if you thought it couldn't get any worse at the top. The fish rots from the head, the single most important position in the league. Get that right and watch the league bloom again. Like James Johnson at FA, hosting the WC, broadcast deals, working miracles starting a second tier... whether or not Australia is capable of sustaining another tier is yet to be seen, but at least he's putting his balls on the line trying.

That's all I ask for now, someone competent in charge.

The scorched earth on the NSL was very misguided.

And now they are happy for them to be in the Australia Cup.

Now they realise they need more teams...why not get some NPL participants in.

Whatever suits them...

Terrible how clubs were completely buried 20 years ago. This sport continually makes so many mistakes, not just this league, not just previous leagues, not just state leagues, not just national admins etc...

Things are finally coming around with the NST. I'm for pro/rel even though the NPL clubs won't be big enough to sustain themselves at the top. South would be the only one close enough who could financially compete. Even though Macarthur and Western don't have many supporters now, they have the cash to stay in the league. That's the crux of it.

I don't think the APL realise that a connected pyramid would be a boost. Clubs coming and going from the top two tiers is normal and shouldn't be feared. Relegation should be treated as a cost cutting reset, then go again. Every club in Australia needs to feel connected to the top flight. Where there's no hope, there's a disconnect.

The boys on FVS breakdown the news of the APL's redundancies and the rumors of a bad culture within the APL and also go through what the future holds for the game. Worth a listen.

from the 46:00 min mark

Yeah I heard them last night. Can't say I'm surprised that APL is a sh!t show. They've been out of their depth since inception. Awesome pod, FVS.

If you like to read about how bad things are....

As part of the cost-cutting measures, KeepUp, the APL’s digital and content arm which is understood to have cost the organisation $40 million, will cease to exist.

It baffles the mind to get down a path, then revert back almost instantly after spending the money and the damage is done

If you like to read about how bad things are....

As part of the cost-cutting measures, KeepUp, the APL’s digital and content arm which is understood to have cost the organisation $40 million, will cease to exist.

It baffles the mind to get down a path, then revert back almost instantly after spending the money and the damage is done
How the * does that cost $40m ffs

Never do that and give every club $4m to go sign a marquee. Better ROI

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, it was the ethincs and ethnic that built the game in this country. Ange Postecoglu is a proud South Melbourne Hellas person.

There are 'Ultras' in every football league worldwide, I should mention that Melbourne Victory fans have brought the Australian Football Community into disrepute far more than any so called 'ethnic club" ever has (aka that infamous Christmas Derby 2 years ago with the Tom Glover bucket incident)

Australian Football and The Socceroos golden generation would never have happened without The Hellas and other so called 'ethnic' clubs...

South Melbourne certainly would provide a lot more value and bigger crowds to the A League than say Western United or Macarthur.

Frank Lowy and his Westfield Cartel whitewashing of the old NSLand the ethnic community that built the game in this country still ijsses me off to this day.

Theres no whitewashing. Those clubs continued to compete in their respective state competitions.

How likely is it that James Johnson and Football Australia takes back the A-League again, do we think?

I think I'd rather that scenario at this point, as he's the only one that seems competent.

Yes please. APL was formed by the clubs because they thought they knew better. They don't. Run the A-League & A League 2 (when it starts) by Football Australia with every club being an equal shareholder. They should have a local presence in every state at the state associations offices. No need for an independent organisation.

Apparently on his Instagram which is private.

GECT1BkbcAAUYcA

With a newborn I reckon Jmac would be the type of guy who wouldn’t want to move O/S

Dunno. If a decent enough offer came in he might. I would have said Goodwin was done with going overseas but he got an offer too good to turn down.

Bear in mind we're about to see players start angling for contract upgrades with 2 new teams and 4 new marquee slots coming into the league.

If City won't keep McLaren on with marquee dollars, someone ie. Canberra sure as s**t will. (assuming the league gets its s**t together re: Canberra...)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back