A tenth team in the WAFL? Is it time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 30, 2012
The suburbs
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions, Ferrari, Minardi
Our beloved WAFL has nine teams in it, having added Peel to the competition in 1997 (17 years ago). For the sake of some discussion; is it time to expand the WAFL to include a tenth team?

Which club would you pick?
Should we expand to outside of WA?
Would we dilute the competition by doing this?
Which region of WA should we expand to?

Last edited:
Wow that awkward moment when you start a thread and nobody comments on it...

Hey there,

Its my first post here. But had to sign up and comment on this.

In my honest opinion I feel that we shouldnt event have a ninth team let alone a 10th. The league is barely able to drag along 2000 people to a game and most clubs are struggling financially. I cant remember the state of reports from last year, however I believe it was only two teams in the WAFL that were able to make a profit. Even the premiers from last year struggled to record a profit.

The introduction of Peel hasnt been overly successful onfield. Admittedly they have produced some amazing players that have gone on to play AFL, however wouldnt the players have done just that in other teams? In 17 seasons the Thunder have rarely been close to making the finals. Even with the propping up this year with Fremantle players, it is unlikely they will make the finals.

Good topic and i'm sure it will raise some good debate, however I think the best way to lose the bye is to re-evaluate the need for a team from Peel in 5 or so years.

Hey there,

Its my first post here. But had to sign up and comment on this.

In my honest opinion I feel that we shouldnt event have a ninth team let alone a 10th. The league is barely able to drag along 2000 people to a game and most clubs are struggling financially. I cant remember the state of reports from last year, however I believe it was only two teams in the WAFL that were able to make a profit. Even the premiers from last year struggled to record a profit.

The introduction of Peel hasnt been overly successful onfield. Admittedly they have produced some amazing players that have gone on to play AFL, however wouldnt the players have done just that in other teams? In 17 seasons the Thunder have rarely been close to making the finals. Even with the propping up this year with Fremantle players, it is unlikely they will make the finals.

Good topic and i'm sure it will raise some good debate, however I think the best way to lose the bye is to re-evaluate the need for a team from Peel in 5 or so years.
Hey mate,

Its an interesting point that we can barely support nine teams at the moment. In 1997, Perth's population was about 1,400,000. Now, its cracked 2,000,000. In 17 years thats 600,000 people! Has the WAFL lost the ability to draw people to games? Im not sure, I go to watch my beloved Subi when Im back in Perth. I guess the rise of the A-League and Rugby Union has dragged some people away.

Peel hasnt even gotten close to winning anything in the League since its inception. It seems to mix it for Colts talent, but peters out in the League comp. Does the WAFC need to support the WAFL more than just looking after the two AFL clubs?

Last edited:
Hey mate,

Its an interesting point that we can barely support nine teams at the moment. In 1997, Perth's population was about 1,400,000. Now, its cracked 2,000,000. In 17 years thats 600,000 people! Has the WAFL lost the ability to draw people to games? Im not sure, I go when im back i go to games. I guess the rise of the A-League and Rugby Union has dragged some people away.

Peel hasnt even gotten close to winning anything in the League since its inception. It seems to mix it for Colts talent, but peters out in the League comp. Does the WAFC need to support the WAFL more than just looking after the two AFL clubs?

The sad fact is that if it wasn't for the two AFL Clubs the WAFC and the WAFL would be even less significant than they already are. The WAFL most definitely wouldn't have the same number of people on their payroll that's for certain. As for having another team join the WAFL, absolute pie in the sky.:(

Pokies. Got Sturt into more trouble than it tried to solve. We are still working on "Debt Demolition." Estimate is that it costs a cool 2.3 mil to run a SANFL club over one year on average. Not AFL figures, but that ain't lying around in the hotdog stand.

The way things stand in the SANFL is that there are eight teams and two AFL teams that play in the SANFL. These AFL entities are often incorrectly referred to as AFL reserves....they are not.....they are AFL listed players who are non-selected to represent their side on a given day. This doesn't mean that they are not first pick players, ie Taylor Walker who played two SANFL games before returning to the Crows against Carlton. Although it is also true that some if not all the listed players are being further developed in the SANFL by their AFL clubs.

The Crows are a model that the WAFL could look at for the WCE to get a 10 team comp, but Freo would be upset if there couldn't room found for their club. At least Port was a stand alone SANFL entity and it was just a small matter of a formal marriage between the Power and the Magpies....but it's in reality the biggest change in SA footy for some time and it will be interesting to see how Port supporters slowly warm to the fact that the Port Adelaide Magpies are no longer a SANFL club.

The SANFL is currently relinquishing both AFL licenses in a club buy-back scheme by both the Power and Crows, so technically the SANFL will have no interest financially or player or ground assets in the AFL. This is a very interesting development. Football park is now only a training oval for the Crows. Power/Magpies retain the traditional (spiritual) home ground at Alberton that holds the Power Club rooms and hosts Magpies home games.

who has the biggest club outside the WAFL in WA? wouldn't it make sense to add them in next? I think something like this nearly happened in Vic a few years ago although I cant remember all the details, there was talk of either Vermont or Noble Park (maybe Balywn) joining the VFL but I think the club(s) rejected the offer in the end because they could make more money in the local EFL comp or something like that.

Would a 3rd AFL club in WA help finance the WAFL? or would it mean less money for the league in order to support a third team

When you can sit down at almost anytime on the weekend and watch an AFL game in the comfort of your own lounge room it makes it difficult to draw fans to a lesser league given the effort to get there and even minimal costs of tickets/food/beer/time.

The State leagues are done as big draws with the AFL present.

Not to mention more fans will be able to get to AFL games in Perth as of 2018 with the new stadium if they want the live experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the wafl wants to survive one team has to be given a kick. Football in WA just isn't strong enough to hold 9 teams, let alone 10 which is being suggested. The Wafl just can't compete with the afl and it's live broadcasts. Most families would rather stay at home in the warmth and watch a live game then going and taking there kids to watch a local game.
The game is struggling in popularity as we all know. This is even more of a reason to get rid of one club. That way there is one less club to worry about and other teams may thrive from it .

who has the biggest club outside the WAFL in WA? wouldn't it make sense to add them in next? I think something like this nearly happened in Vic a few years ago although I cant remember all the details, there was talk of either Vermont or Noble Park (maybe Balywn) joining the VFL but I think the club(s) rejected the offer in the end because they could make more money in the local EFL comp or something like that.

Would a 3rd AFL club in WA help finance the WAFL? or would it mean less money for the league in order to support a third team

Mate have been to a few Vermont games and post match functions dont worry all the WAFL teams are far bigger set ups and would have 5 times the supporters most have around 1000 members Vermont could be compared to big South West club South Bunbury although they would probably be bigger.
The WAFL just needs a rejig and it is slowly happening a change of generations people with young families are or will gradually take over if a tenth team came in in the next 30 years it would have to be from Bunbury.

Footnote they could go back to 8 teams in the WAFL but cant see any mergers really working and what would be the advantage? it knows where it is at and is looking to establish as a local community competition if anything another side might be a good thing even though it has taken Peel so long to be successful surprisingly.

There's no money for a 10th side in the short to medium term and the press has confirmed that fact this week with the job losses and scything cuts at the WAFC ... I am sure that some WAFL clubs would like to see the number of clubs come down to 8 so that they can get a slightly larger slice of a diminishing pie

Bronte Howson (EP president) has been saying for a few years now that there is a diminishing pool of sponsorship money available to spread across 9 clubs (let alone 10) hence a reduction of the number of teams seems inevitable.

Nevermind Perth's increasing population and the apparent wealth WA has -

* As said the WAFC is broke (and has been squandering money on jobs for the boys for years)
* The lack of popularity and exposure of the WAFL diminishes desire to sponsor obviously
* The new stadium deal puts a huge question mark over future finance for grassroots WA footy in general
* The AFL taxing the rich clubs to feed those that can't look after themselves - more money out of the Dockers & Eagles will ultimately see less made available by them for local footy - and don't blame the local AFL clubs for that - they'd rather see the money stay in WA.

So on that last point, thanks AFL for effectively robbing the poor to feed the stupid once more.

There was some talk among the 'G7' clubs that they'd like to see East Perth and Eagles break alignment and the eagles have a reserves side while Peel and Dockers stay merged. This would give you your magical 10, however I have a sneaky feeling the eagles will end up aligning with Perth when they move to Lathlain. There is no concrete evidence of this - but it seems a logical way to go given they'll already be sharing a ground and Perth are more broke than East Perth.

In the future i can actually see a Geraldton team, the only city growing strongly enough to sustain one, Kal and Albany have decent local comps but are not growing and have to much local history.

Wouldn't be suprised to see at some stage it given a go, whether it could be sustained is another matter.

Can you sum up for me why no one likes peel? Is it because they're not in Perth

Its multiple things really, but the main reason I don't think anyone really took to Peel is because they were the late comers. The league had already been well established in its 8 team form for years, and anyone from the peel region already followed a Perth or Freo based team. A 9th team made the fixturing odd, stretched club sponsorships, and to me it seemed like something the WAFL did to try and peak interest in the league, when alls its done is cause them monetary issues.

There was never a need for them to exist in the first place. They haven't been successful in the slightest and how longs it been? There comes a time when you just have to cut your losses, the leagues going to struggle with 9 teams if it remains as it is for much longer. Peel has to go, the WAFL risk a major backlash if they decide to cut a team down that isn't them.

I went to the WP v Peel game at Joondalup yesterday. There were 50 odd people in dockers gear and about 4 in peel gear. 20 years coming up and still nobody gives a s**t

Remove this Banner Ad

Back