A thread on politics- have some balls and post

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know about that... it might be too late for Malcolm to undo the damage that's already been done.
Turnbull's statement certainly indicated the focus is gonna be on the economy.

Kennett melting down on ABC news24 now :D
Get him on a conference call with Kroger.
Trying to think what Morrison has done since moving to Social Services. I don't mean that in a bad way - has he made any major decisions that would appear to be influenced by his right leanings? The impression I have is of a fairly steady hand on the tiller, in this portfolio anyway.
Mainly attempted to re-brand himself as a nice, reasonable family values christian from what I've seen. Serial re-brander, actually. Luckily for him, no one knew who he was before he was immigration minister.
I can't work out how I feel about Greg Hunt. A pretty ordinary record (IMO) on environmental issues but how much of that is driven by his party's policies?
Horrendous record. I don't know what his personal views are, but he's never struck me as being particularly competent.

Trying to think what Morrison has done since moving to Social Services. I don't mean that in a bad way - has he made any major decisions that would appear to be influenced by his right leanings? The impression I have is of a fairly steady hand on the tiller, in this portfolio anyway.

He's absolutely smashed eligibility for the DSP and made EVERY recipient of the DSP under 35 activity tested for job seeking. I'm sure he's done more, but that's just what I can think of at the moment. Neither of which needed to go through parliament to enact.

Apparently Bishop is supporting Turnbull so presumably there will be a few in cabinet going with her.

With her jumping ship, Abbott's position is untenable imo. The only question is he goes KRudd style and destroys the party. I doubt he will and think he will resign.

I also think Turnbull has been fairly clever about this. No faceless men, no media briefing, and with his open media statement he's let the the public know what is going on. It's a really significant point of distinction to the ALP which was like the night of the long knives.

I think a snap election is out of the question with so much damage (image) to be repaired. That said, with Turnbull will come a lot of hope, and I fear in the longer term, that hope will diminish.
Only time will tell if he maintains previous social values, but his last couple of years toeing the company line, have sapped a lot of confidence in him being any great alternative.
The main thing is that Abbott will be gone (it can't be any worse) we can only hope things get better. That's likely, but how much, is the real question.

Also, I hope Leemas is okay.:D
Mate don't even get me started the current Australian political climate is a load of bullshit. Knifing abbot won't change s**t. Same people running the show behind him. This current trend of stabbing our leaders in the back is down right embarrassing and leaves me with no hope for the future of our government wether labour or liberal lead. Our government is a ******* joke there's no one real in it. They're meant to be for the people there only interested in lining there on ******* pockets. This s**t might actually make me vote for the greens next election. AND I ******* HATE HIPPIES

Think he's fine. Going through the same emotions I did when Abbott was elected by the looks of it.

I really like Turnbull. Hoping he can get a decent go at reforming our political system as it is severely broken at the moment.
Yeah cause knifing another leader is really a great way to change our current broken system.... (I don't care for about much but this man behind closed doors backstabbing bullshit that has become a trend in recent times is disgusting)

Mate don't even get me started the current Australian political climate is a load of bullshit. Knifing abbot won't change s**t. Same people running the show behind him. This current trend of stabbing our leaders in the back is down right embarrassing and leaves me with no hope for the future of our government wether labour or liberal lead. Our government is a ******* joke there's no one real in it. They're meant to be for the people there only interested in lining there on ******* pockets. This s**t might actually make me vote for the greens next election. AND I ******* HATE HIPPIES
I'm with you on that. I am fairly cynical by nature, and don't share the optimism of some, that a change in Liberal leadership will bring about meaningful change. Turnbull has the numbers, no doubt, but those numbers are behind him for self-preservation, because the writing for them is on the wall.
As for the trend of "stabbing leaders in the back", says more about those so called "leaders" than the close second culture of pinning careers on a winner, than values.
And yes, it goes on for both sides of politics, but for me there is a clear 'lesser of two evils'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am too tired to think and post but I will leave you all with sledge of the year. With added Doppler effect.

Ballot tonight. Ripping the band aid off right away.
Not surprised that Abbott is deaf/blind to the calls.
Am surprised (though shouldn't be) that he still leads with "we stopped the boats" when called into question. I think he over-estimates the value of 'boat stopping'. Part of the problem I guess, couldn't be much more out of touch.

Yeah cause knifing another leader is really a great way to change our current broken system.... (I don't care for about much but this man behind closed doors backstabbing bullshit that has become a trend in recent times is disgusting)

Apparently Annabel Crabb referred to it as a "front-stabbing" and I'd have to agree... although I still prefer the term falcon punch.

Sometimes it just can't wait. Abbott and Rudd were terrible "leaders". Terrible.
If you're traditionally a Liberal voter, Turnbull is your only chance of keeping that lot in government.

If Abbott wasn't so useless wouldn't have needed such a drastic change. Reducing the argument to knifing/backstabbing diminishes the actual problem which is the electing of such inept leaders. Turnbull obviously would've preferred to challenge later closer to an election but appears his hand has been forced somewhat. I can understand the strategy as you can't wait to be in opposition to change leaders so there is really no other way.

Think he's fine. Going through the same emotions I did when Abbott was elected by the looks of it.

I really like Turnbull. Hoping he can get a decent go at reforming our political system as it is severely broken at the moment.
I don't think the system is broken. At least, not to the extent that it is in somewhere like the US. It's the behaviour of the players within the system that's causing problems. The major parties are struggling to adapt to(or even understand) the changing demands of the electorate. The obvious lack of talent in politics doesn't help.

There needs to be more options for grass-roots activation then just through attending local branch meetings for both major parties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back