Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

I would give Cornelius a 1 year contract, he has the ability, I would just like to see if playing for your footballing life under a new coach might be the making of him. I have no doubt the several clubs would list him as a rookie at the very least.

I would give Cornelius a 1 year contract, he has the ability, I would just like to see if playing for your footballing life under a new coach might be the making of him. I have no doubt the several clubs would list him as a rookie at the very least.

Me too. He's worth sticking within the hope that he finds a niche. He reminds me of Gunston, (or perhaps that's my optimism!, ok a poor mans Gunston), 3rd tall with good hands, Gunston appears good down low, and seems to run pretty hard, which isn't Aces forte. If he can play more as a tall-small-forward (?), with a better defensive side, and crumbing ability, he might be more of an asset. Perhaps he has a perceived pressure to be the main man, which adversely dictates his game style. I don't know, but I'd be a bit sorry to lose him.

Me too. He's worth sticking within the hope that he finds a niche. He reminds me of Gunston, (or perhaps that's my optimism!, ok a poor mans Gunston), 3rd tall with good hands, Gunston appears good down low, and seems to run pretty hard, which isn't Aces forte. If he can play more as a tall-small-forward (?), with a better defensive side, and crumbing ability, he might be more of an asset. Perhaps he has a perceived pressure to be the main man, which adversely dictates his game style. I don't know, but I'd be a bit sorry to lose him.
Unlike Ace Gunston can play a bit further up the ground. With his bigger aerobic capacity he can. Ace has an excellent field kick and is a born forward very much like Gunston.

least the boy isnt breaking his neck to bugger off ! he cares for the club
I see that he and Polks are referred to in some articles now as players interested in a trade. Not sure if this signals a change in Ace's position or if it's just a journo making assumptions.

Nothing for Cornelius in the rookie draft. I'm a little surprised by that - I thought he had enough component parts for a club to take a punt and hope they could make something of him.

I see he has tweeted that he's returning to Tassie. If he intends to continue with a footy career, I hope he gets to a strong State league asap and show that he can take his NEAFL form to a better quality league.

i hear ace has had a fair bit of interest from south australia , be a good gig for him there. also glenorchy want him down here but that would be a backwould step i reckon

maybe the crows in 2014 ! haha good luck boyo

i hear ace has had a fair bit of interest from south australia , be a good gig for him there. also glenorchy want him down here but that would be a backwould step i reckon

maybe the crows in 2014 ! haha good luck boyo

From his twitter he definitely visited Adelaide and Melbourne so I'd say he's got offers from other state leagues.

Hopefully he comes to Norwood. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

looks that way bucking beads ! not formaly appointed as yet i believe but should be confirmed any day
he is already taking training. look forward to talking to him in the gym soon , try to get the inside goss into what the hell was going on up north after the season finished.

Glenorchy! didn't know they play AFL in Scotland . But then again ,legend says Rob Roy was good at kicking the poms balls between the sticks.;)
Good luck to Ace by the way, hope he goes well for the Clan.

Hah!:eek: Well why didn't you apply it in your game Ace?
"We'll have an attacking style of play with a defensive element in there," he said.
Cornelius will bring some of the lessons learned to young Magpies.
"It's important to do the extra, little things you need to do to be a footy player these days," he said.

A bit of a shame that he's not going to a big State league. Still, there are other things in life. Maybe he needs to get out of the professional footy hamster wheel for a while.

Couldn't agree more. From the article irish posted, considering Ace himself said he hopes to get another crack at the AFL, it would be more unlikely than likely if the Mitch Thorp example is anything to go by. Nonetheless, I still wish Ace all the best; had a lot of time for him and didn't think he was given a fair go, but he wasn't the first and won't be the last that that has happened to.

Where are they now?

AARON CORNELIUS - Cornelius was delisted after spending five seasons with the Lions, but remains determined to fight his way back into the AFL system. He will do so by plying his trade back in his home state of Tasmania as captain/coach of local TSFL side Glenorchy.

“I definitely think my AFL door hasn't shut. I'll take a year down here in Tasmania and really work hard on my game and see what happens,” Cornelius told The Mercury

2013 Review - by Matt_BL

Aaron ‘Ace’ Cornelius will forever be a player that is the classic case of ‘so close but yet so far.’ Coming into his 5th AFL season, the were questions on his fitness and ability to stay in a match for the full four quarters. After completing a pre season in Arizona with the other 5 year+ group Ace had a barnstorming start to the pre season competition. He was the leading goal kicker for the NAB cup, but after the Round 1 horror that was the Western Bulldogs match it was all too familiar for Cornelius.

He found himself out of the team and it seems his card was marked by the coaches, in total playing only 3 games for the season and kicking 3 goals. Whether that reason was his defensive side or inability to make a contest, for one reason or another he was delisted at the end of the season. Notwithstanding his poor AFL season Cornelius still delivered at NEAFL level like he has for a number of years without being able to transfer that to the seniors. Cornelius was definitely a leader of the Lions Reserves and has made a valuable contribution to the club. Whether he gets another opportunity at AFL level remains to be seen, but for fans it would be good to see Ace deliver on the potential he has.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back