Opinion Academies and Father - Son draft changes

Should QLD and NSW teams have academies?

• Yes - they need help

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • No - it is unfair

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

and That was working well but as you said the Swans and Giants had a Cry that they did not have Access to all the NSW Kids and scared that other clubs would take the Good Prospects

Can understand doing it for GWS and GCS when they're trying to establish them, Sydney & Brisbane are harder to justify.

Can understand doing it for GWS and GCS when they're trying to establish them, Sydney & Brisbane are harder to justify.

I still not 100% sold on it for GCS and GWS but at least they have a reason but after 10 years it should stop.

The Swans and Lions having it, I agree is a Joke

does our academy only take nsw juniors or juniors from anywhere
Only NSW, but that's not the point. Any club, in theory, could set up their own academy, but they wouldn't be given the priority access to those juniors the NSW and Qld clubs get.

As another poster stated earlier, Port have an academy and drafted two players from it, but those players were taken in the open draft. Any other club could have taken them if they chose to do so.

Only NSW, but that's not the point. Any club, in theory, could set up their own academy, but they wouldn't be given the priority access to those juniors the NSW and Qld clubs get.

As another poster stated earlier, Port have an academy and drafted two players from it, but those players were taken in the open draft. Any other club could have taken them if they chose to do so.

Port don’t have an Academy - They drafted 2 players from the GWS Academy that they did not Draft when they had the chance too.

Agree - Any Team could have a Academy but we won’t have 1st go at any of the players

would love to see Sydney's financial reports to see exactly what the receive and spend, unfortunately the franchise teams refuse even to their own "members"...
Can't help on the spend bit but receive is easy enough (at least in what they get from AFL) - look in AFL financial statements (2014 not out yet) but in 2013 http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Annual Report/2013 AFL Annual Report.pdf
page 147 shows the following in millions
Crows 10.3
Lions 11.2
Blues 11.5
Pies 12
Dons 13.1
Freo 10.3
Cats 11.5
Suns 9.8
GWS 10.7
Hawks 11.8
Dees 12
Roos 12.7
Port 12
Tigers 12.8
Saints 12.7
Swans 11.3
Eagles 9.4
Dogs 13.2

Can't help on the spend bit but receive is easy enough (at least in what they get from AFL) - look in AFL financial statements (2014 not out yet) but in 2013 http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Annual Report/2013 AFL Annual Report.pdf
Crows 10.3
Lions 11.2
Blues 11.5
Pies 12
Dons 13.1
Freo 10.3
Cats 11.5
Suns 9.8
GWS 10.7
Hawks 11.8
Dees 12
Roos 12.7
Port 12
Tigers 12.8
Saints 12.7
Swans 11.3
Eagles 9.4
Dogs 13.2

While that is useful, it is also a little misleading. The funds listed above are a redistribution of gate takings and sponsership incomings as well as $$$s from the broadcast rights. Be nice to know what percentage is the gate takings, as everything else should be equal, and then compare it to average attendances. Of course then you need to know club & AFL & ground members (ie: MCC) attending.... getting way too complicated...

While that is useful, it is also a little misleading. The funds listed above are a redistribution of gate takings and sponsership incomings as well as $$$s from the broadcast rights. Be nice to know what percentage is the gate takings, as everything else should be equal, and then compare it to average attendances. Of course then you need to know club & AFL & ground members (ie: MCC) attending.... getting way too complicated...
Broadcast rights was probably spread evenly and at 1.2M between 18 clubs is not big amount.
Not sure where your info on gate takings is from but I haven't seen anything suggesting that. There is breakdown into base, club future fund (I'm not sure what that is) & other. They go on to say that other includes "prizemoney, distribution of the AFL’s signage rights at Etihad Stadium and promotional funding to help clubs develop the game around Australia"

Broadcast rights was probably spread evenly and at 1.2M between 18 clubs is not big amount.
Not sure where your info on gate takings is from but I haven't seen anything suggesting that. There is breakdown into base, club future fund (I'm not sure what that is) & other. They go on to say that other includes "prizemoney, distribution of the AFL’s signage rights at Etihad Stadium and promotional funding to help clubs develop the game around Australia"

Broadcast rights were actually $1.2Billion for the 2012-16 deal. I'd be happy with an 18th of that! Expected to be $1.6B for the next deal.

Gate takings are one of the few income streams the AFL has (along with advertising, merchandising, and sponsorships) and those funds need to be distributed to the 18 clubs. The $$$s a mug punter coughs up at the turnstiles or via a booking agent.

In 2014 the Pies had 1,048,235 (ranked 3rd) people attend 22 matches at an average of 47,647 (ranked 1st).

Sydney had 917,520 (6th) people attend 25 matches at an average of 38,701 (9th). Brisbane 470,337 (16th) at an average of 21,379 (16th).

Take out members, whose contributions go straight to the clubs, and the residual income needs to be distributed. Yet from the figures you've provided above Pies get $12M, Sydney $11.3, and Brisbane $11.2. That's where the stronger clubs support the weaker clubs.

EDIT: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances

Better include a link...

PS: 2013 there was also $$$s being thrown at clubs for ground upgrades which would explain Doggies allocation.

Last edited:
Crows 10.3
Lions 11.2
Blues 11.5
Pies 12
Dons 13.1
Freo 10.3
Cats 11.5
Suns 9.8
GWS 10.7
Hawks 11.8
Dees 12
Roos 12.7
Port 12
Tigers 12.8
Saints 12.7
Swans 11.3
Eagles 9.4
Dogs 13.2

So they get less then us?

I know we generate a lot of income for the AFL but I didn't realise we got so much back.

I know we generate a lot of income for the AFL but I didn't realise we got so much back.

I guess the point is that we generate a lot of income but we don't get to see much of it in return. That being said I'm surprised to see us so far above the Crows and Eagles.

Broadcast rights were actually $1.2Billion for the 2012-16 deal. I'd be happy with an 18th of that! Expected to be $1.6B for the next deal.

Gate takings are one of the few income streams the AFL has (along with advertising, merchandising, and sponsorships) and those funds need to be distributed to the 18 clubs. The $$$s a mug punter coughs up at the turnstiles or via a booking agent.

In 2014 the Pies had 1,048,235 (ranked 3rd) people attend 22 matches at an average of 47,647 (ranked 1st).

Sydney had 917,520 (6th) people attend 25 matches at an average of 38,701 (9th). Brisbane 470,337 (16th) at an average of 21,379 (16th).

Take out members, whose contributions go straight to the clubs, and the residual income needs to be distributed. Yet from the figures you've provided above Pies get $12M, Sydney $11.3, and Brisbane $11.2. That's where the stronger clubs support the weaker clubs.

EDIT: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances

Better include a link...

PS: 2013 there was also $$$s being thrown at clubs for ground upgrades which would explain Doggies allocation.
Broadcast rights may well have been 1.2B instead of the 1.2M that I mentioned but that doesn't change the fact that page 147 of the document in the link provided clearly states that 1.2M was what was included in distributions. 1.2B may be per year or for the 5 years I don't know but not all of it would be distributed (AFL has lots of their own expenses to cover too). Not all gate takings would be distributed either and I haven't seen anything in the document or from you that explains your reasoning.

Re Doggies - I imagine it's also that clubs like Dogs & Saints that play at Etihad get more of the mentioned signage rights distribution.

edit: ground upgrades may be separate per page 149 where there was 6M in 2013

Last edited:

It would seem so but I wouldn't put it past the AFL to include funding for the academies elsewhere rather than as a payment to the Swans, Lions etc eg $37M for game development in 2013 on page 149

Broadcast rights may well have been 1.2B instead of the 1.2M that I mentioned but that doesn't change the fact that page 147 of the document in the link provided clearly states that 1.2M was what was included in distributions. 1.2B may be per year or for the 5 years I don't know but not all of it would be distributed (AFL has lots of their own expenses to cover too). Not all gate takings would be distributed either and I haven't seen anything in the document or from you that explains your reasoning.

Re Doggies - I imagine it's also that clubs like Dogs & Saints that play at Etihad get more of the mentioned signage rights distribution.

edit: ground upgrades may be separate per page 149 where there was 6M in 2013

I haven't read your document so haven't got a clue what you're talking about when you reference pages. $1.2B would be $240M per year and I know not all of that gets distributed to clubs each year, there are lots of other things the AFL fund.

Somewhere in the report you're citing would be income from gate takings. I'm not trying to be clever or disrespectful. Any home team the lions share of gate takings go to the home team, the AFL withholds some which goes into consolidated revenue to fund equalisation. The bigger the take, the more they withhold. It's why clubs push for people to become members because that total revenue goes to the club. Been happening since time began. Be added to this year by the revenue from footy department tax.

Don't think Etihad deal is that flash otherwise teams wouldn't be complaining that they lose money hosting games there.

Edit: I've had a quick read (and I hate you for making me look at yet another set of financials in an annual report, 9-5 M-F for work is more than enough) and it's the standard consolidated line items that you always get in these reports. To see where gate-taking fit in you'd need a breakdown of revenue which is listed as $512m for the 2014 year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back