Academy Bidding FAQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming today's reported trades go through, and worst case scenario our academies are bid on with 9&14, I think it just might put us in deficit, if my calculations are correct.

Picks: 21, 31, 42, 60

Not sure if I split the pick 31 points correctly.

Hipwood bid on at Pick 9

Pick 9 (1469) X 0.8 = 1175.2
1175.2 – Pick 21 (878) = 297.2
Pick 31 (606) – 297.2 = 308.8
Pick 31 moves to Pick 48

Keays bid on at Pick 14

Pick 14 (1161) X 0.8 = 928.8
928.8 – Pick 40 (395) = 533.8
499.8 – Pick 48 (308.8) = 225
191 – Pick 60 (146) = 79

79 points in arrears

dlanod are these calculations correct?

Last edited:
Assuming today's reported trades go through, and worst case scenario our academies are bid on with 9&14, I think it just might put us in deficit, if my calculations are correct.

Picks: 21, 31, 42, 60

Not sure if I split the pick 31 points correctly.

Hipwood bid on at Pick 9

Pick 9 (1469) X 0.8 = 1175.2
1175.2 – Pick 21 (878) = 297.2
Pick 31 (606) – 297.2 = 308.8
Pick 31 moves to Pick 48

Keays bid on at Pick 14

Pick 14 (1161) X 0.8 = 928.8
928.8 – Pick 40 (395) = 533.8
499.8 – Pick 48 (308.8) = 225
191 – Pick 60 (146) = 79

79 points in arrears

pick 40's value is 429 (not 395) ...... my spreadsheet makes the deficit 52 ........(note - it rounds out the decimals)

(not sure how you got from 533.8 to 499.8 either ..... and pick 48's value is 302)

(hope I'm correct, Wayne ....)

Last edited:

pick 40's value is 429 (not 395) ...... my spreadsheet makes the deficit 52 ........(note - it rounds out the decimals)
That's because I calculated pick 42 not 40. That's what the AFL indicative draft order says. Pick 42 - Brisbane Lions

That's because I calculated pick 42 not 40. That's what the AFL indicative draft order says. Pick 42 - Brisbane Lions
Sorry ...I used pick 40 that you listed under Keays ......Pick 42 I have coming out as 82

Nothing wrong with your reasoning though ............

Sorry ...I used pick 40 that you listed under Keays ......Pick 42 I have coming out as 82

Nothing wrong with your reasoning though ............
Ah dammit. Lemme start again.

Either way, I think we're in deficit. But the club simply won't allow it. I think they'll find a way to nab an earlier pick from North if that Aish trade does go through.

Will be interesting how these calculations play out "Live" on the night ...... could be some memorable Draft Moments ... hope Champion data have everything ship shape .....

And I hope Schwabby and the "boys" remember to bring their calculators ....

Think this was asked in another thread but couldn't find the answer - if we go into the draft with just three list spots available does that mean only our first three picks will be active? IE we'd be unable to use later picks to generate sufficient points for academy bidding?

It was added to the FAQ earlier this morning. The suspicion is that we will only have the first three picks active if that's the case, based off previous years.

It was added to the FAQ earlier this morning. The suspicion is that we will only have the first three picks active if that's the case, based off previous years.
Thanks! Seems pretty flawed that the rules enable us to use points from other picks to gain academy products but will discharge our later picks if there aren't enough corresponding list positions...

Surely with the advent of academy/FS bidding they'll adjust the rules so you'll be able to take in as many picks as you've acquired over the trade period but be eliminated from the draft when you've filled your list.

Since we got an explanation on the Darcy Moore example, maybe the guide book could be consulted again...

Lions_Insider

I don't suppose you're around and able to find out what happens if Brisbane has fewer list spots free than draft picks worth points going into the draft? Do the extra draft picks disappear, or can we still use them to match bids?

Since we got an explanation on the Darcy Moore example, maybe the guide book could be consulted again...

Lions_Insider

I don't suppose you're around and able to find out what happens if Brisbane has fewer list spots free than draft picks worth points going into the draft? Do the extra draft picks disappear, or can we still use them to match bids?
Could try your luck tweeting Terry Wallace on Twitter. He usually replies to any draft-related questions.

Lions_Insider

Have had it confirmed that this is the case but would like another confirmation still. Can only have picks going into the draft that you have list spots for

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Fatcat08 Are you saying if we only have 3 list spots come draft day and we take shache with 2 - then the draft picks we have left both must cover keays and hipwood. So these 2 picks would have to be in the teens to make sure of it. So if hipwood is bid at 13 and we have 17 and 21 - we have to use 17 - which covers that maybe but the left over points on it can't be used with 21 if keays is bid for at say 14 as this would be two picks but one list spot left. Does this mean we may miss out on both?

First part is right but once we're in the draft we can use leftover points from our first pick on keays. What's even stupider is those picks we use for bids actually aren't lost, they move go the back of the draft, even though we don't have list spots. Typical half baked policy on the run by the afl

79 points in arrears

Assuming we stay towards the bottom next year, my understanding (and I could be wrong) is that a small deficit is not a problem, because it takes a lot of points to knock an early pick down a peg.

So say we get pick 2 next year - you would need a 283 point deficit to reduce it to pick 3. Any less and the deficit has no effect.

79 points would knock pick 9 down to pick 10, but frankly if we are knocking on the door of the finals this year I wouldn't care less about the deficit.

Assuming we stay towards the bottom next year, my understanding (and I could be wrong) is that a small deficit is not a problem, because it takes a lot of points to knock an early pick down a peg.

So say we get pick 2 next year - you would need a 283 point deficit to reduce it to pick 3. Any less and the deficit has no effect.

79 points would knock pick 9 down to pick 10, but frankly if we are knocking on the door of the finals this year I wouldn't care less about the deficit.
Not sure that's right because when your pick moves down the draft, you can only get pick you have enough points for based on their examples. If you're one point short of a pick, you end up with the pick below.

Not sure that's right because when your pick moves down the draft, you can only get pick you have enough points for based on their examples. If you're one point short of a pick, you end up with the pick below.

I was going off the AFL presentation from January - although this was for feedback from the clubs, it may have changed since then. See the Zaine Cordy example on the third last slide: http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/biddingsystemfeedback.pdf

First part is right but once we're in the draft we can use leftover points from our first pick on keays. What's even stupider is those picks we use for bids actually aren't lost, they move go the back of the draft, even though we don't have list spots. Typical half baked policy on the run by the afl

I don't know that it's half baked, it makes some sense. The reason those picks move to the end of the draft rather than just disappearing is that a club might match an early bid, burn all their picks on matching it, then need another pick to fill a list spot. Unlikely, but if they do, they'll have a pile of late picks waiting for them right at the end of the draft.

I don't know that it's half baked, it makes some sense. The reason those picks move to the end of the draft rather than just disappearing is that a club might match an early bid, burn all their picks on matching it, then need another pick to fill a list spot. Unlikely, but if they do, they'll have a pile of late picks waiting for them right at the end of the draft.
No problem with subsequent picks on the one bid moving back to makes sense so you don't run out of picks to fill list spots. What I don't get is the very first pick you use to match moving to the back of the draft so you don't actually lose it. Just seems a bit weird

How do we factor in any rookie upgrades that we would want to do? Not that we might have any this year (although Billy Evans might be a chance) but in such a situation, if we are upgrading but have no picks left...how does that all work? Or do the picks just move right to the end of the draft where we can access them to do any upgrades?

Or have I just got all of this wrong?

How do we factor in any rookie upgrades that we would want to do? Not that we might have any this year (although Billy Evans might be a chance) but in such a situation, if we are upgrading but have no picks left...how does that all work? Or do the picks just move right to the end of the draft where we can access them to do any upgrades?

You can upgrade a Rookie to a vacant list spot.
If we bring in Bastinac, Schache/Weitering, Keays & Hipwood, at the moment, there won't be any spare list spots (in fact we may yet have to delist another player just to get this done).

Of we had a list spot and a rookie to upgrade as those bid match picks slide to the back of the draft they can be used for that purpose as you rookie upgrade with your last pick

So it would seem live selections aren't limited by list positions, if tonight's news about the Bastinac trade is to be believed... Good news!

I hope the "boys" have double checked the fine print before they go through with that one .........

....or at least got the OK to proceed from dlanod ..............;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back