Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

It is amazing how quickly I’ve gone from

‘do we really need to invest in another 180cm mid with Rowell, Touk, Flanders, Rogers already in the guts’

to

‘get Leo on our list right now’.

The kid is a Touk clone but with more natural footskill.

Admittedly, he’s played pretty much entirely outside on the wing, but I like that he rarely just blazes away when he gets it in a bit of space. He’s either always looking to create an overlap, or has the skill to reward a leading forward lace out.

Very good head on his shoulders and has the confidence to back himself.

Watched most of the game without volume but firstly I must say the standard was very impressive. I think next years draft will be very deep, not that it affects us much. We have a beauty in Lombard, what impresses me most is his mix of inside and outside game. He's tough inside and always gives the first handball(unlike his team mates today) but is damaging on the outside. We are set with touk, Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Humphrey, Rogers and Lombard.

Watched most of the game without volume but firstly I must say the standard was very impressive. I think next years draft will be very deep, not that it affects us much. We have a beauty in Lombard, what impresses me most is his mix of inside and outside game. He's tough inside and always gives the first handball(unlike his team mates today) but is damaging on the outside. We are set with touk, Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Humphrey, Rogers and Lombard.
Yeah, Leo looks like team first. Always trying to move on the ball, makes good decisions. He could be a beauty for us. I like his toughness.

That's exciting! Lombard in particular will be one we're all keeping an eye on. It's been a big season for Leo having made his VFL debut for our ressies just a few weeks ago, playing for the victorious Allies team as a bottom ager, taking part in our academy series as a bottom ager, playing close to half the QAFL seniors season for Broady, competing in his first QAFL seniors finals series with Broady, representing the Queensland U17s team a few weeks ago and now he gets a shot at a QAFL reserves premiership. It was also announced earlier today that Lombard will take part in the U17 Future Stars game on AFL Grand Final day later this month:

Keep in mind, Lombard played predominantly for the Burleigh U16s last year so not only has he switched clubs and adjusted to senior footy at two separate levels, but he's also done all this while completing Year 11 and participating in Varsity College's AFL ASPIRE program. Unreal year for Leo and we all hope he continues to develop on the same trajectory in his 2024 draft year.
It was U17

It was U17
Was it? The PlayHQ stats website suggests otherwise. Either way, a remarkable rise for Leo in the last 12 months. I don't think even the most optimistic fan would have predicted a VFL premiership medal for Leo if they were asked at the start of the season.

y3veqgh.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade radio saying there’s another Suns academy player.. on top of the 4 already.

Think Rollins was his last name. He was from The NT and has just had a shoulder reco

Talk someone might pick him up otherwise maybe Suns will rookie him…

Anyone know more info
Will Rowlands?

U18 Squad has just been announced for 2024. 64 young hopefuls and a few future Champs among them. I'll try and find the full list for future discussion purposes unless someone already has it for us?

U18 Squad has just been announced for 2024. 64 young hopefuls and a few future Champs among them. I'll try and find the full list for future discussion purposes unless someone already has it for us?

List is here

This is a significant announcement for women's footy in Queensland. Getting the elite female private schools in SEQ to run a proper footy comp each year means it'll be taken seriously and resourced correctly. As for the Gold Coast specifically, St Hilda's competes in the QGSSSA competition and former Sun Jesse Joyce coordinates their sports programs so I think he would have been pushing hard for this to happen and will probably coach the senior team himself. Hopefully we see some future Suns coming out of St Hilda's as a result of this announcement. Now we just need the male equivalent GPS competition to follow suit so TSS can start taking footy seriously too.

FirstSurnameClub
RyanBallantyneBroadbeach
JackBarrattLabrador
BlakeBebendorfBroadbeach
NicholasBouwmeesterSurfers Paradise
MasonBradleyLabrador
JezBrindleyBurleigh
Archie BrownTweed Coolangatta
Harry BullTweed Coolangatta
CameronBurgessBroadbeach
Jake CallinanSurfers Paradise
JackClarkeTweed Coolangatta
LachlanColesSouthport
DylanGardinerPalm Beach Currumbin
XavierGonthierSouthport
BlakeGowingPacific Pines
JettGreenSurfers Paradise
LukasHallSurfers Paradise
JoshHallSouthport
Archie HillBroadbeach
AydenHinzLabrador
NixonHoulihanBroadbeach
HugoHowardBroadbeach
SamHynesTweed Coast Tigers
KodyI'AnsonBurleigh
ZacJacobsonBroadbeach
JacksonJarvisPalm Beach Currumbin
CooperJohnsonSouthport
MatthewJoyceSurfers Paradise
LeroyKaeslerBurleigh
GeorgeKemmetmullerTweed Coast Tigers
ClashKevernPalm Beach Currumbin
NedLawtonPalm Beach Currumbin
TyLockwoodTweed Coast Tigers
JakeMarshBroadbeach
IsaacMayneOrmeau
JamesMilhamBroadbeach
Cooper MotumJimboomba
BrodyMullerBurleigh
SamMurrayOrmeau
TajMurrayBurleigh
DeaconNikolajevicPacific Pines
TomO'BrienPalm Beach Currumbin
KanePetersBurleigh
MaxPhillipsLabrador
JakePurssSurfers Paradise
JoshPykeBroadbeach
ReillySherlock-ClarkSouthport
Archie SimpkinSurfers Paradise
JadenSmithLabrador
CodyTeecePalm Beach Currumbin
Harry ThomsenOrmeau
KodiWallaceBurleigh
CooperWeeSouthport
RileyWeirTweed Coolangatta
ElijahWelshBurleigh
JesseWenzelBroadbeach
RyanWiddisonBroadbeach
CodyWillamsonTweed Coolangatta
CalebWilliamsBroadbeach
NoahYoungCoomera
Standouts at the moment are 2023 U15 AAs Jackson Jarvis (Palm Beach Currumbin) and Taj Murray (Burleigh) as well as Archie Hill (Broadbeach). Also interesting to see where most of the players have come from: Broadbeach (13), Burleigh (8), Surfers Paradise (7), PBC (6), Southport (6), Labrador (5), Tweed Coolangatta (5), Ormeau (3), Tweed Coast (3), Pacific Pines (2), Coomera (1), Jimboomba (1). As has been the case for a few years now, Broadbeach are the standouts in producing high level juniors.

Shoutout to our academy stars and the PBC boys for winning another senior male state championship (AFLQ Schools Cup) last week. The team was led by Will Graham who followed in Jed Walter's footsteps from last year and claimed the grand final best on ground award this year. Both will be on our senior list in a few weeks!

UGK3WvK.jpg

DqIH02R.jpg

Shoutout to our academy stars and the PBC boys for winning another senior male state championship (AFLQ Schools Cup) last week. The team was led by Will Graham who followed in Jed Walter's footsteps from last year and claimed the grand final best on ground award this year. Both will be on our senior list in a few weeks!

UGK3WvK.jpg

DqIH02R.jpg
Will's finally getting some love and recognition - he'll be a champ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back