Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Not far from games now and Zeke and Leo are ones to watch definitely. The depth this year in the midfield is one to watch and leo will be in there. Zeke will probably play majority of the half back flank and wing. They played an intra club match the other week before the squad got picked and main standouts there were Beau Addisnal and Cooper Hynes for me. Beau is all class in the contest and has silky skills and Cooper is one to watch for me. He is 2006 born and looks to be playing a big part in the academy’s midfield this year. One to watch potentially.
I'd say you're pretty spot on - Beau Addinsall and Leo are my two top picks but Zeke is also up there. Cooper Hynes is the smokie who's emerged over the past year or so. Jai Murray is the other one but not sure if he's this year or next. Some good talent there and I think some will surprise making this our second very good draft in a row - then it may drop off a bit.

I'd say you're pretty spot on - Beau Addinsall and Leo are my two top picks but Zeke is also up there. Cooper Hynes is the smokie who's emerged over the past year or so. Jai Murray is the other one but not sure if he's this year or next. Some good talent there and I think some will surprise making this our second very good draft in a row - then it may drop off a bit.

Murray’s for next year.

Caleb Nancarrow took part in this training session as well. Not sure if he's grown since last year but he appeared to be the second tallest player in his group. In one drill they had around six agility poles scattered throughout the forward 50 and each forward would start where the agility poles were before trying to run leads for an inside 50 entry. Not sure if it was just because it was one of his first training sessions with the group but Nanc seemed a little lost out there when trying to structure up and run leads inside the forward 50. He appeared to have some speed for a taller lad and was there to support his teammates when they were running in for goal, but he wasn't personally leading as well as he probably could/should have. Hopefully more time with his teammates will help address this.
Mate I love your enthusiasm for the academy players, but do we really need to hear that this one guy had a bad training session? In the end they are kids, not sure it helps them to get singled out like this (good or bad)? Let him try to get better in private.

Mate I love your enthusiasm for the academy players, but do we really need to hear that this one guy had a bad training session? In the end they are kids, not sure it helps them to get singled out like this (good or bad)? Let him try to get better in private.
Keep the reports coming. Love to hear progress from on site supporter... Any opinions on Dylan Patterson? Big upside I think.

Fair enough mate. Not much point in sharing observations if you can't comment on anything an individual does (good or bad). I'll respect the wishes of the Suns community and leave the observations to the draft analysts.

I believe I am also part of Suns community, and any info is welcomed and encouraged :)
It was never my intention to make anyone uncomfortable so even if it's just one person doesn't like it then that's enough. Sorry if that disappoints.

It was never my intention to make anyone uncomfortable so even if it's just one person doesn't like it then that's enough. Sorry if that disappoints.
No disappointment, that's fine. It's your decision. I guess, when I will go to tomorrow's practice, I should also keep observations to myself.

I believe I am also part of Suns community, and any info is welcomed and encouraged :)

Agreed.

Also, if someone is only telling us the good, it's only half the story.

It also leads to (hopefully) stories of a kid working to overcome his deficiencies, and frankly, I always prefer a kid who has shown he has the ability to work on his game.

Match simulation took place tonight for our under 18 boys. Dylan Patterson and Cooper Hynes on one team followed by Murray and Nancarrow on the other team. Cooper Hynes was a standout and best on the field by a country mile showing all class with his skills and kicking efficiency and laying tackles inside. A level above the rest of the group. Murray was good as well showing good signs . Nancarrow also showed good signs in the ruck. Lombard and addinsal didnt take place tonight either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL DRAFT prospects of the now and near future starred as the Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast Suns academies underwent preseason testing over the weekend. Both Under 18 squads converged on Brisbane South State Secondary College on Sunday to be put through their paces.

Leading Queensland talent Leonardo Lombard was among the strongest performers, achieving three top five finishes and the best agility test time (8.058 seconds). Suns Academy players topped every test on the day in a promising showing of their continued ability to produce prospects.

Former Lions Academy captain Bradley McDonald leapt high, notching the fourth-best running vertical jump (88cm). Bottom-ager and 2023 Alan McLean Medallist Beau Addinsall was top in that category (92cm), while top-age tall Caleb Nancarrow completed the best standing jump (83cm).

Ryan Gilder showcased his all-round athleticism with some of the Lions’ best scores across each category. Overall, he finished in the top fives of three events. Lions Under 16 MVP Daniel Annable is another to watch after being second only to fellow bottom-ager Zac Eckersley in the yo-yo test.

STANDING VERTICAL JUMP

1. Caleb Nancarrow (Suns Academy) – 83cm
2. Dylan Patterson (Suns Academy) – 78cm
3. Ben O’Brien (Suns Academy) – 77cm
4. Beau Addinsall (Suns Academy) – 76cm
=5. Koby Coulson (Suns Academy) – 73cm
=5. Baxter Ellis (Lions Academy) – 73cm
=5. Ryan Gilder (Lions Academy) – 73cm
=5. Josh Zanker-Close (Suns Academy) – 73cm

RUNNING VERTICAL JUMP

=1. Beau Addinsall (Suns Academy) – 92cm
=1. Ben O’Brien (Suns Academy) – 92cm
3. Caleb Nancarrow (Suns Academy) – 91cm
=4. Bradley McDonald (Lions Academy) – 88cm
=4. Josh Zanker-Close (Suns Academy) – 88cm

20M SPRINT

1. Dylan Patterson (Suns Academy) – 2.882 seconds
2. Max Cruse (Suns Academy) – 2.923 seconds
3. Leonardo Lombard (Suns Academy) – 2.93 seconds
4. Ryan Gilder (Lions Academy) – 2.967 seconds
5. Raphael Geesu (Lions Academy) – 2.968 seconds

AGILITY TEST

1. Leonardo Lombard (Suns Academy) – 8.058 seconds
2. Zai Millane (Suns Academy) – 8.168 seconds
3. Ryan Gilder (Lions Academy) – 8.178 seconds
4. Bailey Morgan (Lions Academy) – 8.196 seconds
5. Daniel Annable (Lions Academy) – 8.197 seconds

YO-YO TEST

1. Zac Eckersley (Suns Academy) – 21.08
2. Daniel Annable (Lions Academy) – 21.07
3. Leonardo Lombard (Suns Academy) – 21.05
4. Archie Hill (Suns Academy) – 21.03
=5. Nick Francis (Suns Academy) – 21.02
=5. Harry Sullivan (Suns Academy) – 21.02

Q&A: Leonardo Lombard​

Q: Leo, what kind of learnings have you taken out of being in this year’s National Academy?

A: I think it’s a great opportunity. Obviously all the kids there are probably the best in Australia, so it’s good seeing them and training with others who bring 100 per cent intensity. Most of the time we all push each other well. And yeah, I think it’s pretty stacked class for 2024.

Q: Who from that group are you looking forward to playing alongside?

A: I’d probably say Jagga Smith, Sid Draper. I get along well with ‘Grossy’ (Tom Gross) and Luke Trainor. Hopefully we play well.

Q: What are your strengths on the field?

A: I’d say my explosion at the contest, that’s the main one, and probably my ability to get the ball as well as endurance and gut running.

Q: What are you still looking to work on?

A: Probably a bit of my decision making and skills on my left (side). Also trying to get around goals a bit more than last year.

Q: What kind of role do you anticipate to play this year?

A: I play mainly mid but I’ll rotate forward every now and then… I’m pretty sure in the VFL I’m playing more of a pressure forward, half-forward role. Then I’ll just play midfield for all the other teams and hopefully mid-forward for the (National Academy).

Q: How was it playing in last year’s VFL premiership?

A: It was unreal, it was crazy. I wasn’t expecting much but it was unreal. I don’t even know what to say.

Q: Did you expect to play that late in the season?

A: No way, I had no idea. Didn’t really think I was ready for it but the coaches told me I was ready.

Q: What have you learned off the Suns’ recent draftees?

A: Just give it your best. They work on their strengths so much, so it just gives me confidence to play with confidence and know what you’re good at.

Q: Have you worked on your craft with them?

A: A big improvement of mine is probably my ground balls so I’ve been getting Jake (Rogers) to help me out with the ground balls a lot, considering he’s very clean below knees.

Q: How often have you been able to train with the AFL side?

A: I spent five weeks with the Suns AFL squad over the pre-season and got to train in the mids.

Q: What are your goals for the year?

A: Just to stay consistent, that’s the main one. Also to get around goals a lot more and probably make every single side. Then the main goal is to get drafted obviously.

Pattersons 20m time is elite as it gets
His standing vertical leap is very impressive as well. Would have ranked second in the country in both areas if he had taken part in the national combine last year. He's also a bottom ager this year so he may get even better before his draft year. Clearly the kid is athletically gifted.

His standing vertical leap is very impressive as well. Would have ranked second in the country in both areas if he had taken part in the national combine last year. He's also a bottom ager this year so he may get even better before his draft year. Clearly the kid is athletically gifted.
I told you didn't I - he was something special to me whenever I saw him. If he can focus on what lies ahead He'll be a super player for the Suns. Our run hasn't ended yet at the Academy!

Gold Coast Suns Academy - 2024 Coates Talent League Games

Round 5 vs Oakleigh Chargers @ Carrara Sports & Leisure Centre (April 27)
Round 6 vs Dandenong Stingrays @ Belvedere Reserve (May 5)
Round 7 vs Geelong Falcons @ Carrara Sports & Leisure Centre (May 12)
Round 8 vs Calder Cannons @ Highgate Recreation Reserve (May 19)

Gold Coast Suns Academy - 2024 Coates Talent League Games

Round 5 vs Oakleigh Chargers @ Carrara Sports & Leisure Centre (April 27)
Round 6 vs Dandenong Stingrays @ Belvedere Reserve (May 5)
Round 7 vs Geelong Falcons @ Carrara Sports & Leisure Centre (May 12)
Round 8 vs Calder Cannons @ Highgate Recreation Reserve (May 19)

Assuming there will be a few games V Lions Academy before the CTL campaign starts,

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

U18s are playing tonight at 7pm at home - I think against Broadbeach. Might wander down for a quarter or two if I can pull the wife away from the Brisbane / Carlton game. Poor scheduling putting the boys on Friday night!

U18s are playing tonight at 7pm at home - I think against Broadbeach. Might wander down for a quarter or two if I can pull the wife away from the Brisbane / Carlton game. Poor scheduling putting the boys on Friday night!
So Lombard will get to play against his club teammates?

Leo clearly best afield
Only saw the first quarter and he was looking good. The Broadbeach boys were giving him heaps but didn't seem to bother him - kicked the first goal and wiped their faces in it. A lot of former Academy kids out there for Broadbeach (Cody Harrington etc) and looked like a good tussle early. Anybody have final scores. Good to see Jed Walter and Ethan Reid out their supporting their younger buddies.

Think the Academy boys ran out winners by around 10 goals. To be expected of a squad that has been in training since November last year. Downpour of rain just before opening bounce made for slippery conditions.

Leo far and away BOG and extracted from midfield at will, kicked one, maybe two? Addinsal was good, as was Beikoff-Smart and Iverach. Kalani White played fullback and didn’t ruck at all.

No Nancarrow, as he dislocated his shoulder in last weeks VFL game V Southport. Broadbeach dominated the ruck and stoppages through ex-Academy player Dawson, but the Academy midfield was too slick once it hit the deck.

From what I was told most of the over-agers, bar Zanker-Close, didn’t play as they were called up to todays VFL prac match.

Think the Academy boys ran out winners by around 10 goals. To be expected of a squad that has been in training since November last year. Downpour of rain just before opening bounce made for slippery conditions.

Leo far and away BOG and extracted from midfield at will, kicked one, maybe two? Addinsal was good, as was Beikoff-Smart and Iverach. Kalani White played fullback and didn’t ruck at all.

No Nancarrow, as he dislocated his shoulder in last weeks VFL game V Southport. Broadbeach dominated the ruck and stoppages through ex-Academy player Dawson, but the Academy midfield was too slick once it hit the deck.

From what I was told most of the over-agers, bar Zanker-Close, didn’t play as they were called up to todays VFL prac match.
Taine Dawson would be one to watch in the next few years - big tall lad with good upside as a mid season or supplemental pick. We're still short one back up ruck man if Reid plays elsewhere. An injury to Witts and Moyle is all we have in reserve. I was told our rucks were under strength with Jonah Harris out injured. More undersized overall than last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back