Actors & Actresses you just don't like!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm the opposite. I never watched The League all that much, but he was my favourite part of it. And I loved his cameos in Brooklyn Nine Nine too (playing basically the same character).
I watched the League for the fantasy football aspect of the show. He had no part in that aspect of the show

David Spade. Hate is not a strong enough word for him.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He was pretty good in Tommy Boy and Black Sheep when he was Chris Farley's sidekick, they were a great comedy duo.

He isn't so good on his own though with films like Joe Dirt and Dickie Roberts but I still think he's funnier than Adam Sandler.

His podcast with Dana Carvey is worth listening to but you probably wouldn't like it if you hate David Spade as he features in it quite a lot.

Helen Mirren and Meryl Streep are both great actresses, they may get worshipped too much but it's not like they seek out all the attention.

Unlike Nicole Kidman who along with Keith Urban seek out the attention of being A listers by sitting front and centre at all the award shows.
You mustn't have watched many recent award shows. Meryl is treated like royalty at those things, and she plays along and laps it up as much as anyone.

You mustn't have watched many recent award shows. Meryl is treated like royalty at those things, and she plays along and laps it up as much as anyone.
Exactly, completely agreed, she is practically royal box masthead at these things nowadays. And like Helen and Nicole is oft-nominated anyway.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, completely agreed, she is practically royal box masthead at these things nowadays. And like Helen and Nicole is oft-nominated anyway.
There was an interesting discussion about Meryl on one of the Ringer podcasts (can’t remember which one, probably The Big Picture which is usually pretty good)

Name Meryl’s most iconic film role

Sort of like Pacino and Godfather. De Niro and Taxi Driver. Crowe and Gladiator.

And it’s not a gender thing. Roberts and Pretty Woman. Bullock and Speed. Robbie and Barbie.

She may be a great actress (I don’t think THAT great) but her impact on cinema is pretty negligible.

There was an interesting discussion about Meryl on one of the Ringer podcasts (can’t remember which one, probably The Big Picture which is usually pretty good)

Sort of like Pacino and Godfather. De Niro and Taxi Driver. Crowe and Gladiator.

And it’s not a gender thing. Roberts and Pretty Woman. Bullock and Speed. Robbie and Barbie.

She may be a great actress (I don’t think THAT great) but her impact on cinema is pretty negligible.
Streep and Silkwood

Streep and Sophie's Choice

Streep and The Bridges of Madison County

Streep and Postcards from the Edge

Streep in Kramer vs Kramer

Streep and the Deer Hunter

Streep and Adaptation (I love this film, probably not one of her better known though)

Streep and the Iron Lady

Could keep going on for ages.

There are so many movies in which she's been a standout, there isn't a single 'most iconic' (just googled it and she's had 17 academy award nominations for best actress and 4 for supporting actress). Also, I don't agree that having one iconic role that everyone agrees on necessarily means the person has had greater impact.

Streep and Silkwood

Streep and Sophie's Choice

Streep and The Bridges of Madison County

Streep and Postcards from the Edge

Streep in Kramer vs Kramer

Streep and the Deer Hunter

Streep and Adaptation (I love this film, probably not one of her better known though)

Streep and the Iron Lady

Could keep going on for ages.

There are so many movies in which she's been a standout, there isn't a single 'most iconic' (just googled it and she's had 17 academy award nominations for best actress and 4 for supporting actress). Also, I don't agree that having one iconic role that everyone agrees on necessarily means the person has had greater impact.
A lot of those movies are either forgettable (despite their award wins - many oscar bait movies then fall away never to be heard of again - e.g. Iron Lady). Or others she is playing a supporting role (The Deer Hunter).

On the podcast, they said Kramer v Kramer was maybe the role. Out of Africa may have been as well.

It's certainly a hole in her filmography. For those others listed, you can then name iconic scenes, quotes etc. "Are you talking to me" "I am maximus ..." "I know it was you Fredo" "They're called boobs, Ed" (okay, that was Erin Brockovitch, not Pretty Woman - go with "big mistake, big, huge" for that one")

I personally don’t do any film podcast or vlog content. Prefer text format where I can skim it efficiently for insight merit before reading. I’m sure there are recommendable ones out there for me to explore but I’m generally reticent and skeptical.

On Streep, I guess they might say her Sophie’s Choice role, that was a talked about part of hers for many years that fans of that film (of which I’m not) still hold in highest regard. Probably depends on the demographic of Big Picture & their audience, that would allow you to predict what they might be inclined to select (or not). But whether someone has that one very identifiable role is a desirable thing (or can be equated to their ‘impact on cinema’) is debatable, thespians would rather be character actors noted for their talents than have an obit mentioning that 1 Harry Potter or MCU film or GoT/Crown season they popped up in more recently or that one movie quote everyone knows.

Kramer vs. Kramer & Out of Africa as their settled choice suggests to me they aren’t really across her work nor her place in film culture, possibly haven’t even seen those films and therefore have no idea.

That said, I do fully get why Streep would get mentions in this thread. I suspect a lot of folks might’ve been turned off by her French Lieutenant’s Woman-Sophie’s Choice roles in 1981-2 that attained her present status.

As a palette cleanser, she had some fun roles in the early 90s like Postcards From the Edge & Death Becomes Her. There is a Streep role out there for most people. Also worth noting that Mamma Mia was just about the BO record holder in the UK upon release (and one of the fastest-selling and best-selling dvds in several markets). I’d argue her filmography is also better overall than Julia, Sandra and Margot (they have time though), and indeed DeNiro/Pacino/Crowe are arguably more generational talents than Julia/Sandra/Margot have been among actresses necessarily, so them using the latter as foremost examples for women does imply a latent sexism and lacking curiosity to substantiate those discussions in a worthwhile manner.

Last edited:
Tom Cruise by the length of the Flemington straight.

Keanu has been pretty woeful in most things but Cruise just shits me.

John Wayne - the most wooden actor in history, most of his Western are terrible when compared to the great Westerns of Leone and Eastwood.
James Cagney
Humphrey Bogart
Tom Cruise
Meryl Streep
Julia Roberts

And most of today's Hollywood actors and actresses, although I think its most likely due to the quality of material they have to work with and not necessarily their acting abilities.

John Wayne - the most wooden actor in history, most of his Western are terrible when compared to the great Westerns of Leone and Eastwood.
James Cagney
Humphrey Bogart
Tom Cruise
Meryl Streep
Julia Roberts

And most of today's Hollywood actors and actresses, although I think its most likely due to the quality of material they have to work with and not necessarily their acting abilities.

In terms of longevity and popularity John Wayne was most likely embemically the greatest movie star of the 20th century. Yet I reckon that when the boomer generation dies off so will the legend of Wayne. In years to come his films will be studied for the work of Ford, Hawks and co and not the star. He will, in a number of facets, be seen as a bit of a joke. I would go as far as to say that, in terms of western stars of the classical era, Randolph Scott is more likely to be recognised as fit for interest by future generations than The Duke.

Tom Cruise by the length of the Flemington straight.

Keanu has been pretty woeful in most things but Cruise just shits me.
I think Cruise is more often than not at least passable in all that I have seen him do. I reckon he is perhaps the hardest working actor in Hollywood in the sense that I genuinely believe he does every bit of research that he can and fully prepares for each role. The issue I have is that I can SEE it. You can see the mechanics at work. It is as if he has no lived-experience and is calling on a form of AI to tell him how a certain character would act and react. In that sense it is like a ChatGPT essay - pretty much fine and ticks all the boxes but lacking the human aspect.

He had an interesting period when he was working with Kubrick and Paul Thomas Anderson in which he began to tap into aspects of himself. These were top-notch performances but he got a little too close to the real Tom and that scared him. So it was back to the action stuff. I will say that EDGE OF TOMORROW is excellent - especially the first half where he lets his guard down again.

James Cagney
Humphrey Bogart
Tom Cruise
Meryl Streep
Julia Roberts

In terms of longevity and popularity John Wayne was most likely embemically the greatest movie star of the 20th century. Yet I reckon that when the boomer generation dies off so will the legend of Wayne. In years to come his films will be studied for the work of Ford, Hawks and co and not the star. He will, in a number of facets, be seen as a bit of a joke. I would go as far as to say that, in terms of western stars of the classical era, Randolph Scott is more likely to be recognised as fit for interest by future generations than The Duke.

Apparently John Wayne was a s**t bloke too but even so, you have to judge them by their era.

As for my picks, the two that instantly come to mind for me are Mark Wahlberg and Kevin Hart.

The former isn't just because of his hate crimes, I believe in second chances and all that, it's just the way he's "dealt" with it, has never really showed any public remorse or guilt. He has a massive "I could've stopped 9/11" ego. Arrogant twat, don't care for his politics/religious views either but that usually doesn't come into it for me and obviously people can have different values and still be decent people. Just don't think Marky Mark is one of those guys.

As for Hart, harder to explain but just something about the guy irks me, has a real sleazy/arrogant/dickhead/ego w***er vibe to me. Generally can't watch him with Jumanji being about the only exception (thanks to Black and Gillan).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back