Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Simmo talked earlier this year about expecting us to challenge for a flag last year when waiting for nicnat,Shuey etc to return.
He's deluded and still thinks his game plan works and the old players are going to deliver again.
Time for him to move on with them.
Can you chuck up some sources?

I find it hard to believe Simmo and the club at large thought we were a flag chance in 2023 when we finished 17th in 2022. Thats La-La Land stuff.

Simmo talked earlier this year about expecting us to challenge for a flag last year when waiting for nicnat,Shuey etc to return.
He's deluded and still thinks his game plan works and the old players are going to deliver again.
Time for him to move on with them.
He said it on 7 news last week - one more chance of getting the "band back together" if everyone was fit.
He also said in that interview that it became clear pretty early on that wouldn't work and so they moved to focus on development and youth but was hard due to availability.

It was not. "Oh yeah one more flag" it was a comment more in line with "hopefully we get some senior players back and could be actually competitive compared to the issues of the previous year".

He said it on 7 news last week - one more chance of getting the "band back together" if everyone was fit.
I listened to that interview too. It all depends on how you want to interpret it.
I took it as that after a disastrous 2022 the club felt it could bounce back up the ladder if the band did get back together.

Not win flags, he didn’t say how much he expected us to improve just said he expected an improvement if everyone was fit and firing.

After the derby injury disaster and the fact Nic didn’t improve I think the club knew pretty early on in the season there was no bounce coming in 2023.

I don’t think any of that is unrealistic.

Just so people can look back to what Simmo was thinking pre last season.
Also then take into account that Nic Nat went backwards injury wise and within a month we were battling to field a fit side.

Thanks for that.

Can definitely read between the lines and see where Simmo was thinking we're a flag chance :rolleyes:

Never said he did. But was implied they were aiming to be competitive and aiming for finals - they didn't go into last year thinking they were rebuilding.
I was replying to the poster who said Simmo said we were challenging for a flag.
You said "He said it on 7 news last week - one more chance of getting the "band back together" if everyone was fit".

Said we were aiming to be competitive, that's a given for any club.

Of course he knew we were rebuilding.
He even spoke of it.

Finals was never mentioned so I don't know how you implied it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was replying to the poster who said Simmo said we were challenging for a flag.
You said "He said it on 7 news last week - one more chance of getting the "band back together" if everyone was fit".

Said we were aiming to be competitive, that's a given for any club.

Of course he knew we were rebuilding.
He even spoke of it.

Finals was never mentioned so I don't know how you implied it.
It was in the white space between the lines I hear on BF

So he actually said "we will be challenging for the flag did he"?
My recollection was he said have one more tilt at it.
I guess I assumed that he was referring to a flag. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't.

Just so people can look back to what Simmo was thinking pre last season.
Also then take into account that Nic Nat went backwards injury wise and within a month we were battling to field a fit side.

Yeah the comment was from this season where he was referring to last season.
Not this interview.

He also said in that interview that it became clear pretty early on that wouldn't work and so they moved to focus on development and youth but was hard due to availability.

It was not. "Oh yeah one more flag" it was a comment more in line with "hopefully we get some senior players back and could be actually competitive compared to the issues of the previous year".
Fair enough. I interpreted it incorrectly.

I listened to that interview too. It all depends on how you want to interpret it.
I took it as that after a disastrous 2022 the club felt it could bounce back up the ladder if the band did get back together.

Not win flags, he didn’t say how much he expected us to improve just said he expected an improvement if everyone was fit and firing.

After the derby injury disaster and the fact Nic didn’t improve I think the club knew pretty early on in the season there was no bounce coming in 2023.

I don’t think any of that is unrealistic.
They expected going into 2023 to comfortably make the 8 last. Nisbett has said that in interviews. The outgoing chairman at the end of 2022 said it. That beta male Wally we have as a chairman now said it during 2023.

The whole AFL industry to a man vehemently disagreed and were laughing at us for being delusional. But the club thought it knew better. We went on to not just win a spoon but have one of the top 5 worst seasons in the history of the AFL. And we are now regarded by almost unanimous industry consensus as having not just the worst list in the comp but one of the worst lists in the history of the comp and be at least 5 years away from making finals again.

And you are defending the assumptions the people running the club made 18 months ago that we didn't need a rebuild and were likely to comfortably make the 8 last year as having been "realistic". You are one super dumb individual.

They expected going into 2023 to comfortably make the 8 last. Nisbett has said that in interviews. The outgoing chairman at the end of 2022 said it. That beta male Wally we have as a chairman now said it during 2023.

The whole AFL industry to a man vehemently disagreed and were laughing at us for being delusional. But the club thought it knew better. We went on to not just win a spoon but have one of the top 5 worst seasons in the history of the AFL. And we are now regarded by almost unanimous industry consensus as having not just the worst list in the comp but one of the worst lists in the history of the comp and be at least 5 years away from making finals again.

And you are defending the assumptions the people running the club made 18 months ago that we didn't need a rebuild and were likely to comfortably make the 8 last year as having been "realistic". You are one super dumb individual.
You are one cooked Kent and the exact reason I tend to stay out of these threads..

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

You are one cooked Kent and the exact reason I tend to stay out of these threads..

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

I see the name and just keep scrolling. Haven't read one of their posts after their first half a dozen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back