SA Adelaide crowned Australia's "Most Liveable City".

Remove this Banner Ad

Ironic that the murder capital of Australia is also the most liveable.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. Adelaide has never had the most murders per capita of any major city in Australia and most likely never will. Darwin and Perth in particular always have had much higher murder percentages per capita and Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane normally have higher percentages than Adelaide as well.

Anyone who thinks that Adelaide is boring has never been there. It says more about them being boring than Adelaide itself. Any place that produces Cold Chisel, the Master Apprentices, the Angels, Redgum, the Hilltop Hoods and even the Little River Bland can hardly be boring.

Let's be honest, most Australian Cities are pretty good
Yea. I never understand why we bag each other when we should be laughing at the rest of the world and Tassie.
But I find it rather peculiar that so many of its residents describe it as "a good place to live, crap place to visit". Never experienced so many people from a single city backhandingly complimenting it.
Its true, though.

People travel so that they can see s**t like the fontana di trevi, or go on ferris wheels and rollercoasters. We have the malls balls and the big rocking horse. No competition.
Any place that produces Cold Chisel, the Master Apprentices, the Angels, Redgum, the Hilltop Hoods and even the Little River Bland can hardly be boring.
Wat.

In winter you freeze and it's nice and warm here.

In the summer while you melt we get a nice monsoonal breeze and plenty of rain and no bloody 40 degree heatwaves.

While you have s**t tasting tap water that you try to defend we have crystal clear great tasting pure clean drinking water every day of the year.

We can water our garden any time we want.

The air is cleaner than you'll ever breathe in your life except for the times in the dry we get bushfires.

The roads aren't clogged and the people that built the city made the most awesome stormwater drainage so we don't get flooded.

The cost of living is a bit high here and we might get wiped out by a big cyclone one day but this is an awesome city to live.

Adelaide is a massive hole.

But they let gorillas roam free and post on the internet, so I don't know.

Lived in Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne. Though the first two I was a lot younger.

Having travelled around at an older age, I can say I love Melbourne (house prices break nuts a bit) but would happily moved to Hobart or Adelaide for a 'slow down'.

QLD is too humid and Sydney has far too many 1 way streets and a CBD that is spread way too far out. Not to mention getting a coffee after 5pm is bloody hard (though living in Melbourne spoils you, where every 2nd shop is a cafe).

Anyone who thinks that Adelaide is boring has never been there. It says more about them being boring than Adelaide itself. Any place that produces Cold Chisel, the Master Apprentices, the Angels, Redgum, the Hilltop Hoods and even the Little River Bland can hardly be boring.

facepalm.jpg

Yea. Right :rolleyes:

Still waiting for a proper answer from anyone to this question by the way:
The cultural scene is garbage. Big international acts never include Adelaide on their tour list. Your symphony is a joke, AFAIK you don't even have a ballet company, opera and theatre scene is extremely meh. The state art gallery is uninspiring and visiting exhibitions are poor. Yes, you have cafes in alleyways but I know that I am odds on to get a great cup of coffee no matter where I go in Sydney and Melbourne. In smaller places you have to know where to look.

There's a nightlife, but the number of good places is limited and if you're used to the endless variety of Sydney and Melbourne then it gets very boring very quickly. Opening hours in general are frustrating, both for drinking establishments and regular shops.

That said, the main problem with calling it "Australia's most livable city" is the word 'city'. Let's be honest - aside from Melbourne and Sydney, no other urban area in Australia deserves the title. Places like Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth are great places to live as long as you don't have the expectation of true city living - they are more like very large towns with excellent amenities.

I actually think the small size of Australia's cities (even the relatively small size of Sydney and Melbourne) is the main reason we always chart so well on these surveys internationally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cultural scene is garbage. Big international acts never include Adelaide on their tour list. Your symphony is a joke, AFAIK you don't even have a ballet company, opera and theatre scene is extremely meh. The state art gallery is uninspiring and visiting exhibitions are poor. Yes, you have cafes in alleyways but I know that I am odds on to get a great cup of coffee no matter where I go in Sydney and Melbourne. In smaller places you have to know where to look.

I'll give you the ballet, opera and theatre thing (tbh I'm not really into that stuff, so I wouldn't know for sure), but the only really big touring act who intended to skip Adelaide in recent years is Bon Jovi (and eventually they added an Adelaide Oval gig to their tour late last year). Every other big act that's come to Australia recently has made a stop in Adelaide.

There's a nightlife, but the number of good places is limited and if you're used to the endless variety of Sydney and Melbourne then it gets very boring very quickly.

I think the number/variety of venues is just relative to population

Opening hours in general are frustrating, both for drinking establishments and regular shops.

Explain this one further? Can't say I've ever had an issue with either of these things, particularly in the CBD.

That said, the main problem with calling it "Australia's most livable city" is the word 'city'. Let's be honest - aside from Melbourne and Sydney, no other urban area in Australia deserves the title. Places like Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth are great places to live as long as you don't have the expectation of true city living - they are more like very large towns with excellent amenities.

I really just think of Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth as scaled-down versions of Melbourne and Sydney, due to the smaller populations. I really don't see that strong a differences beyond that.

I'll give you the ballet, opera and theatre thing (tbh I'm not really into that stuff, so I wouldn't know for sure), but the only really big touring act to skip Adelaide in recent years is Bon Jovi. Every other big act that's come to Australia recently has made a stop in Adelaide.
Off the top of my head from bands whose tours I was interested in, Radiohead 2004, Kaiser Chiefs 2007, Pearl Jam 2009, The Killers 2007 & 2010 all skipped Adelaide (and sometimes also Perth and Brisbane).

If a band does a limited tour Adelaide is the first to be cut, followed closely by Perth.

I think the number/variety of venues is just relative to population
Sure, but the reason doesn't change the reality. Wollongong has a number/variety of venues relative to its population but that doesn't mean it's not a crap nightlife.

Explain this one further? Can't say I've ever had an issue with either of these things, particularly in the CBD.
When you have a limited number of shops and venues, a large percentage of them having limited opening hours or being closed altogether at certain times just exacerbates the problem. In a bigger city it's not such a problem.

I really just think of Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth as scaled-down versions of Melbourne and Sydney, due to the smaller populations. I really don't see that strong a differences beyond that.
The point is that the scaling down results in a severe drop-off to the point that those places don't really provide a lot of the things that people expect from cities. In world terms, Sydney and Melbourne are about as small as a city can get and still retain the cosmopolitan feel, world-class standards of food, culture and entertainment, etc. of a true city.

I spent a summer working in Adelaide once and I'd be more inclined to describe it as a scaled-up version of somewhere like Newcastle than a scaled-down version of Melbourne. Which is not a bad thing, in a lot of ways.

Off the top of my head from bands whose tours I was interested in, Radiohead 2004, Kaiser Chiefs 2007, Pearl Jam 2009, The Killers 2007 & 2010 all skipped Adelaide (and sometimes also Perth and Brisbane).

The Killers definitely came to Adelaide in 2005 or 2006. Played Thebarton Theatre. I know, because I was going to go but didn't have money for tickets at the time. They came to Adelaide with the BDO in 2007, so it's not like people missed out on them entirely. Just didn't get a sideshow. Sometimes Sydney doesn't even get sideshows from festival bands. I have mates that definitely went and saw Pearl Jam here in Adelaide in 2009 (I think it might have been at the Entertainment Centre, can't remember). I saw Kaiser Chiefs here in 2009 at Thebarton Theatre, so they eventually got here once they got a bit bigger too.

If a band does a limited tour Adelaide is the first to be cut, followed closely by Perth.

It does happen sometimes, but nowhere near as frequently with big bands as it's made out. What I don't get though is why bands would go from the Eastern states over to Perth without stopping in Adelaide on the way. I mean, it's on the way! And gigs in Adelaide are rarely not sold out, so it's not like there's no market for live music of all descriptions here.

Sure, but the reason doesn't change the reality. Wollongong has a number/variety of venues relative to its population but that doesn't mean it's not a crap nightlife.

Well what do Melbourne and Sydney have in terms of nightlife beyond a larger number of venues? Is there anything you couldn't get from places in Adelaide?

When you have a limited number of shops and venues, a large percentage of them having limited opening hours or being closed altogether at certain times just exacerbates the problem. In a bigger city it's not such a problem.

What opening/closing times are you expecting?

bono y u no like australias most liveable city?

U2 were in Adelaide at the end of 2010. Bono even penned a special "ode to Adelaide" article for The Advertiser, talking about how much he loves our city :D

Nah mate, and was only kidding - Hobart & Tasmania look like beautiful places.

cool.

my point is that many people will have a crack at cities without having ever lived there. Adelaide is a wonderful city with many great points and many not so great points. same as hobart. and despite the fact that melbourne looks great it probably has shitty points as well.
i have lived in hobart and adelaide for example and think both have points i would, and would not recommend to others but often you only find thiis out after having lived in said city.
IMO also, if you do choose to live in hobart or adelaide you have to expect to travel for many things such as bands and football etc.

I spent a summer working in Adelaide once and I'd be more inclined to describe it as a scaled-up version of somewhere like Newcastle than a scaled-down version of Melbourne. Which is not a bad thing, in a lot of ways.

Overstating Melbourne is overstating. An aquaintence of mine, lawyer, who did long stints in both London and New York, moved back to Adelaide after a brief relocation to Melbourne. His reasoning was Melbourne is almost as expensive as Sydney without actually having the big city buzz and beauty of Sydney. His Irish wife for some reason didn't like Sydney so he moved back for the convenience of Adelaide. It's all in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Surely not, Link? :p

Here's a link.

Actually, I admit, I misrepresented it :eek: I was confusing it with the extract "Adelaide" from Paul Kelly's book How to Make Gravy that was published in the Sunday Mail late last year too :p The Bono article was billed on the front cover of the paper as having something to do with Adelaide, but he doesn't actually mention our city by name in there. Think it might have been published in other papers around the country too (link comes from The Herald Sun via the AdelaideNow website). I think they might have had a sidebar with some comments he made about our city though in The Advertiser.

Still, doesn't change the fact that U2 definitely played here at Adelaide Oval last year, and have come here on pretty much every Australian tour they've done in the past too. Everything else I said about other bands visiting Adelaide is correct too. gopower even backed me up on the Pearl Jam one, as he went to their gig here in 2009.

My bad on PJ, could have sworn they skipped Adelaide. Maybe it was a later addition to the tour. My point stands however.

Well what do Melbourne and Sydney have in terms of nightlife beyond a larger number of venues? Is there anything you couldn't get from places in Adelaide?
Top-notch live music venues like the Espy and the Basement? World class cocktail bars like Lotus, Der Raum and 1806?

And number of venues is one of the most important things about a city's nightlife. Who wants to be constantly going to the same places?

What opening/closing times are you expecting?
My point is that if you are looking to move to another venue at 2:30am in Adelaide your options are limited to a handful of decent places. Likewise if you want to go shopping on a public holiday. It's pretty frustrating when you're used to the wealth of choice available a bigger city.

Overstating Melbourne is overstating. An aquaintence of mine, lawyer, who did long stints in both London and New York, moved back to Adelaide after a brief relocation to Melbourne. His reasoning was Melbourne is almost as expensive as Sydney without actually having the big city buzz and beauty of Sydney. His Irish wife for some reason didn't like Sydney so he moved back for the convenience of Adelaide. It's all in the eye of the beholder I guess.
Odd reasoning. Melbourne isn't a beautiful city by any stretch of the imagination but it's certainly a city of excellent size and the subsequent amenities you'd expect. 'Lacking big city buzz' is a bit vague, especially since there is not too much difference in terms of the urban density of the two cities - does he work in the financial sector? Sydney is a fairly big financial centre and Melbourne is not. That may be the benchmark he is using if he's used to working in London and NYC, although I think it's a bit limited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back