SA Adelaide crowned Australia's "Most Liveable City".

Remove this Banner Ad

Anything's gotta be better than the shitfights in Melbourne & Sydney. Massively overcrowded. Housing prices, traffic, parking, queuing up everywhere - forget it.

It would be interesting to include some regional towns - Geelong, Ballarat, Woollongong, Newcastle, Cairns, Townsville.

I find that melbourne (or the part i live in) has the least amount of bogans than the rest of the country towns and cities in Australia.

I'm not saying this to offend but i found there to be an awful lot of bogans in perth when i visited in november last year.

Adelaide, pretty sure is full of bogans too but maybe not as bad as perth? fair to say?

Bogans, i really hate them.

ps. my french friend wrote a song about bogans in australia. When she sings it in her cute accent it works on so many levels.

If Adelaide loosened its vice laws like Amsterdam I'm sure it would be just as popular.

Places like Stockholm and Reykjavik are somewhat different situations given the fact that they are major global financial centres, and they are also major hubs within their countries. Those things contribute to resident wealth and therefore demand for amenities traditionally associated with 'cities'. They don't really apply to somewhere like Adelaide. IIRC the population of the greater metropolitan area of Stockholm is around 2m, which is what, 30% more than the entire population of South Australia?

There is more to the idea of 'being a city' than just population size, although it's an important factor.

Radelaide-Y-u-mad-for.jpg

what. a. city.

If Adelaide loosened its vice laws like Amsterdam I'm sure it would be just as popular.

Places like Stockholm and Reykjavik are somewhat different situations given the fact that they are major global financial centres, and they are also major hubs within their countries. Those things contribute to resident wealth and therefore demand for amenities traditionally associated with 'cities'. They don't really apply to somewhere like Adelaide. IIRC the population of the greater metropolitan area of Stockholm is around 2m, which is what, 30% more than the entire population of South Australia?

There is more to the idea of 'being a city' than just population size, although it's an important factor.
Iceland as a whole has a population of around 300k.

Regardless, to say Adelaide/Perth/Brisbane are 'towns' is wrong. If you compare them to all the cities in the world, you'd find they're medium sized.

Like Perth, ADL is a medium/big sized country town. The bogans from Braybook, Footscray & Melton have nothing on ones from Pooraka & Elizabeth.

Adelaide, pretty sure is full of bogans too but maybe not as bad as perth? fair to say?

I think like every capital city in Australia, Adelaide has it's bogans. But also like every capital city, it has its normal and its upper class folk too. No higher percentage of any compared to other state capitals that I've experienced IMO.

TownleyTime said:
Like Perth, ADL is a medium/big sized country town. The bogans from Braybook, Footscray & Melton have nothing on ones from Pooraka & Elizabeth.

Pooraka and the suburbs north-west of it (Parafield Gardens, Burton, Paralowie, the various Salisbury's) probably have as many Asians (particularly of the stereotypical Supra-driving, wannabe gangster variety) as Anglo-Australians these days as far as I'm aware.

Iceland as a whole has a population of around 300k.

Regardless, to say Adelaide/Perth/Brisbane are 'towns' is wrong. If you compare them to all the cities in the world, you'd find they're medium sized.
Like I said, it's about more than just population numbers - if anything, it's more about amenities and mentality. You can't tell me that Adelaide feels more like a city than any of those places you've listed.

I find that melbourne (or the part i live in) has the least amount of bogans than the rest of the country towns and cities in Australia.

I'm not saying this to offend but i found there to be an awful lot of bogans in perth when i visited in november last year.

Every city in Australia has plenty of bogans if you look in the right places.

Southern Suburbs and outskirts of perth are full of them, other areas, not so much. Really depends where you go.

Go out to hoppers crossing in melbs, as good a bogan heartland as anything perth has to offer

Categorizing entire cities is pretty pointless

Pooraka and the suburbs north-west of it (Parafield Gardens, Burton, Paralowie, the various Salisbury's) probably have as many Asians (particularly of the stereotypical Supra-driving, wannabe gangster variety) as Anglo-Australians these days as far as I'm aware.

Those suburbs make Melton look like Toorak/Mosman. I lived in Hyde Park in Adl for a year after a work transfer, I was quite shocked seeing Supermarkets close after 6PM & a Royal Commission everytime they wanted to improve infrastructure.

The liveable city is like the FIFA Rankings, not much credence to it. If Adl/Perth is so liveable, how come there are so many 20-30 somethings from those towns living in Melbourne. It's reached epidemic porportions.

Categorizing entire cities is pretty pointless

don't be ridiculous.

Los Angeles is just Compton and such, there is no Beverley Hills. New York is all Manhatten and has no Harlem, and Miami consists solely of South Beach with people sunbaking all day long and never had areas like Liberty City and Overton in a state of constant riot thirty years ago.

Adelaide only has bogans living in it. Victorians who have never spent significant time here, if any at all, said so. it must be true!

Those suburbs make Melton look like Toorak/Mosman.

I never said they were great to look at (most of the northern suburbs are terribly flat and dry looking all the time, even in winter when its been raining), just said they had as much of an Asian population as they do regular Aussie bogans.

I lived in Hyde Park in Adl for a year after a work transfer, I was quite shocked seeing Supermarkets close after 6PM & a Royal Commission everytime they wanted to improve infrastructure.

Supermarkets in my suburb are open until midnight on weekdays and 11pm on weekends. Why you'd need to go to the supermarket at those hours is beyond me, but the facility is there. I wouldn't imagine that exists solely where I live. Even if it's somehow unique to my area, I'm pretty sure late night shopping exists on Thursdays all around the place too.

The liveable city is like the FIFA Rankings, not much credence to it. If Adl/Perth is so liveable, how come there are so many 20-30 somethings from those towns living in Melbourne. It's reached epidemic porportions.

Probably has as much to do with employment options/opportunities in their chosen field as anything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do they have quick elopement centres for the rag tag element who believe that life is better times two?

How else would they use the city of churches in ultimate broadside with those who believe that they qualify for cheap annulments /divorce. It's a grand stand city. :eek:

The cultural scene is garbage. Big international acts never include Adelaide on their tour list.

Metallica and Guns N Roses came to Adelaide last year. The latter didn't go to Melbourne.

I'd say those two are fairly large international acts.

In winter you freeze and it's nice and warm here.

In the summer while you melt we get a nice monsoonal breeze and plenty of rain and no bloody 40 degree heatwaves.

While you have s**t tasting tap water that you try to defend we have crystal clear great tasting pure clean drinking water every day of the year.

We can water our garden any time we want.

The air is cleaner than you'll ever breathe in your life except for the times in the dry we get bushfires.

The roads aren't clogged and the people that built the city made the most awesome stormwater drainage so we don't get flooded.

The cost of living is a bit high here and we might get wiped out by a big cyclone one day but this is an awesome city to live.

Adelaide is a massive hole.

Nice post, but Cairns > Darwin

Property Council survey + Adelaide top + Canberra second + Sydney bottom = massively disproportionate weighting given to housing affordability.

It's kind of a show stopper Caesar. If you can't afford to live there, it doesn't matter how nice it is.

I don't mind Melbourne, can't stand Sydney. What i'll never understand is people saying Adelaide is boring. It has everything Melbourne and Sydney have. I mean how many ****ing pubs, cafes and department stores does it take to make a city "cool" ? What exactly can you do in the Eastern cities that you can't do in Adelaide?

Adelaide nightlife is fine, you can even stagger between the 2 main night drags, no taxis needed. Pubs, clubs, food, brothels, strip joints....you can even line up for a yiros (kebab....) without getting shivved like a snitch in general population. Melbourne has better strip joints, bar 20 is ****en sweet, but a city isn't special because of it. I'm sure Moscow has insane strip joints and bars, wouldn't want to live there though.

LOL at someone in the thread saying a choice between a 20/20 game, tennis and some other s**t sporting "event" makes Melbourne great. Sport...get over it already for **** sake.

So you're regularly in there getting your shopping done just before midnight, are you?

Not generally but a lot of people are awake at midnight. I thought your comment was odd since it's pretty obvious why anyone would go to a supermarket at any time.

Maybe you should cut down eating at those hours. Not healthy to be eating that late.

Thanks mantis.

Not generally but a lot of people are awake at midnight. I thought your comment was odd since it's pretty obvious why anyone would go to a supermarket at any time.

What I'm saying is, while it's obvious why someone would go to the supermarket, I don't see why it'd be a necessity for them to be open at that time. I doubt supermarkets that are open that late really get any real traffic after about 10pm. It'd just the odd person here and there needing something specific, eg. a carton of milk, a certain ingredient, something to satisfy a particular craving. For the most part, service stations and smaller convenience stores can are sufficient for that market. I don't think anyone is planning on doing the family shopping for the week at, say, 11pm on a Tuesday night, are they? :p

What I'm saying is, while it's obvious why someone would go to the supermarket, I don't see why it'd be a necessity for them to be open at that time. I doubt supermarkets that are open that late really get any real traffic after about 10pm. It'd just the odd person here and there needing something specific, eg. a carton of milk, a certain ingredient, something to satisfy a particular craving. For the most part, service stations and smaller convenience stores can are sufficient for that market. I don't think anyone is planning on doing the family shopping for the week at, say, 11pm on a Tuesday night, are they? :p

There are lots of people who like to shop at those times hence they keep them open. If it were not viable then they would not keep them open.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back