Opinion AFL 2023 Finals Week 1 - Liked, Learnt, Hated FINALS EDITION

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched f***-all of the footy on the weekend.

But I hate the wash-up from the Maynard-Bradshaw business.

1. I can see both sides of the argument about whether he should be suspended or not. Personally I don’t think he should have been.

2. At what point are grown adults going to get to the stage where they realise that things like this are not pre-planned, deliberate, or in any way malicious? It is a contact sport with bodies flying in all directions for the best part of two hours every time a game begins. Players have split second to attempt to make a decision about how to play the game and impact the actual scoreboard without having time to deliberately try and hurt someone and in 99 per cent of cases there is absolutely no intent whatsoever. Yes it sucks seeing a mate and someone you care about being seriously hurt but blaming someone won’t fix it

blaming someone won’t fix it
Only one person knows what Maimard's intentions were at the time.
We draw our conclusions about his intentions from observing his actions and spoken words up until the point of contact.
Both actions and words are rather damning.

Only one person knows what Maimard's intentions were at the time.
We draw our conclusions about his intentions from observing his actions and spoken words up until the point of contact.
Both actions and words are rather damning.

How, exactly? His action of taking the absolute most basic self preservation measure that it is possible to take, in the 1-2 feet of travel time between where he was in mid air and where he ended up?

As a rugby league player who’s actual job it was to run flat stick into people standing 15 metres across from me even I didn’t have time to ‘plan’ such an action

I watched f***-all of the footy on the weekend.

But I hate the wash-up from the Maynard-Bradshaw business.

1. I can see both sides of the argument about whether he should be suspended or not. Personally I don’t think he should have been.

2. At what point are grown adults going to get to the stage where they realise that things like this are not pre-planned, deliberate, or in any way malicious? It is a contact sport with bodies flying in all directions for the best part of two hours every time a game begins. Players have split second to attempt to make a decision about how to play the game and impact the actual scoreboard without having time to deliberately try and hurt someone and in 99 per cent of cases there is absolutely no intent whatsoever. Yes it sucks seeing a mate and someone you care about being seriously hurt but blaming someone won’t fix it
What is hard is the fact that you see friendly fire things like this all the time.

Obviously no one tries to take their own player out - but it happens. No one gets suspended.can be exactly the same circumstance and if one of the players has a different footy jumper on…

The league is in between a rock and a hard place on this. This have to be seen to be doing something. I can see a future with no contact as being inevitable eventually.

Last edited:
What is hard is the fact that you see friendly fire things like this all the time.

Obviously no one tries to take their own player out - but it happens. No one gets suspended.can be exactly the same circumstance and if one of the players has a different footy jumper on…

The league is in between a rock and a hard place on this. This have to be seen to be doing something. I can see a future with no contact as being inevitable eventually.

Robbo for all his faults does bring the odd common sense view to these sorts of things and pointed out last night that if a player is doing something perfectly legal and that isn’t regarded as a particularly dangerous action (a smother) his first duty is to protect himself.

In boxing it’s incumbent upon participants to protect themselves at all times, for their own safety and it is a pretty basic sporting principle, that you do your best to protect yourself. If that involves something that accidentally impacts on someone else then it just needs to be accepted.

What if Maynard doesn’t protect himself and flies face first into Brayshaw’s head as he tilts it downward or something: imagine if people tried to claim ‘brayshaw chose not to sidestep and go through with the kick and then chose to move his head into its final position, he should be suspended.’

Robbo for all his faults does bring the odd common sense view to these sorts of things and pointed out last night that if a player is doing something perfectly legal and that isn’t regarded as a particularly dangerous action (a smother) his first duty is to protect himself.

In boxing it’s incumbent upon participants to protect themselves at all times, for their own safety and it is a pretty basic sporting principle, that you do your best to protect yourself. If that involves something that accidentally impacts on someone else then it just needs to be accepted.

What if Maynard doesn’t protect himself and flies face first into Brayshaw’s head as he tilts it downward or something: imagine if people tried to claim ‘brayshaw chose not to sidestep and go through with the kick and then chose to move his head into its final position, he should be suspended.’
That’s like a straw man that’s just been elected professor of straw man ship at Oxford university

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked: The lions..kicked accurately and won easy..strange thing that.

Learned: The Crows & Dogs will be kicking themselves for missing the finals. Both the swans and demons seriously need to go shopping for a key forward target.

Hated: Sydney & Melbourne Consistently bombing it o
Into a crowded forward line without any thought process.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

liked 4 out of 4 tipped
learnt - some people allow their hate of a team and its supporters to completely blind them to the facts and reality. absolutely mind boggling.
hated - Bradshaw's brother... deluded mother *er.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back