Opinion AFL 2023 Finals Week 1 - Liked, Learnt, Hated FINALS EDITION

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked - Hard to go past the Giants win yesterday. The Swans are out of the race and I’ve loved watching the Giants progression this year under their excellent new coach, so even though Mrs Zevon supports them I’m all aboard the other NSW side.

Learnt - Brisbane are the team to beat. I already suspected it going in to the weekend but I’m fully sold now.

Hated - The Swans frittering away a win. Had more than enough chances to get over the line in the last term but we just weren’t good enough to take them. Still, the Blues were good enough to set up a big early lead and I’m thrilled for my Carlton friends in MrsEddieBetts Elmer_Judd Chief and anyone else I’ve forgotten. Hope you go deep into the finals now.

Liked - Hard to go past the Giants win yesterday. The Swans are out of the race and I’ve loved watching the Giants progression this year under their excellent new coach, so even though Mrs Zevon supports them I’m all aboard the other NSW side.

Learnt - Brisbane are the team to beat. I already suspected it going in to the weekend but I’m fully sold now.

Hated - The Swans frittering away a win. Had more than enough chances to get over the line in the last term but we just weren’t good enough to take them. Still, the Blues were good enough to set up a big early lead and I’m thrilled for my Carlton friends in MrsEddieBetts Elmer_Judd Chief and anyone else I’ve forgotten. Hope you go deep into the finals now.
Brisbane's Achilles heal will be playing very likely a Melbourne team on GF day at the MCG.

Would be great if they could overcome it though but anywhere outside the Gabba they are half a dozen goals less of a force.

Liked: I think i picked all four winners this week. Now that's a rarity

Learnt: Saints fans were sold a pup this year, Melbourne has no forward structure, and a reminder for Brisbane that the Grand Final is played in Melbourne and The Pies would have to have the worst case of Colliwobbles in history in order to lose the 2023 GF.

Hated: The Brayshaw KO, but what else could he do? The Grand Final is already set, no way Carlton or Melbourne will beat Brisbane up at the Gabba and despite the Giants great run and i think they will beat Port, they won't beat the Pies at the MCG.
My team not playing in finals is a strange feeling, but c'est la vie.

Last edited:
Liked: Brissy putting the foot down
Learnt: GWS might be able to take it all.
Hated: Brayshaw getting concussed

Learnt: Saints fans were sold a pup this year, Melbourne has no forward structure, and a reminder for Brisbane that the Grand Final is played in Melbourne and The Pies would have to have the worst case of Colliwobbles in history in order to lose this the 2023 GF.

Hated: The Brayshaw KO, but what else could he do? The Grand Final is already set, no way Carlton or Melbourne will beat Brisbane up at the Gabba and despite the Giants great run and i think they will beat Port, they won't beat the Pies at the MCG.
With the argument what else could he do…. Could he not put his hands and arms out to break the fall?

With the argument what else could he do…. Could he not put his hands and arms out to break the fall?
Well he's running straight at him while Brayhsaw had to slow down after kicking the ball, a collision was always going to happen.New football chief Kane has already condemned Maynard and he will get 3 weeks which is wrong IMO. Welcome to footy 2023. There is no such thing as a footy incident anymore. Maynard should never have opened his trap earlier in the week saying he was going to get tough with the Demons.

Learned: No limit to allegiances conquering logic. The excuses made for Maynard are crazy. The side on view is damning.
I was just peeling my apple and he ran into my knife, 15 times, in the back.
And super crazy is Melbourne repeating the SOS that doesn't work. Like a drug company salesman; "It didn't work? Here have some more ... "
Madness.

Liked: The big big sound. Giants are now adopted as my second side.

Hated: The hit on Brayshaw.

SOS that doesn't work
Yeah. Tried 1 mediocre forward, no good. Let's try 3! Notable also, with Brayshaw going off early, the option of putting Petracca forward as they have been doing in recent weeks to add some sharp leads and agility to the forward line, with some success, was removed. But still, 3 planks in the forward line, NO.

They have a week to come up with a Plan G.

They have a week to come up with a Plan G.
Dear Players,
When you blast away at goals and miss everything, you could have saved time and effort and simply handed the ball to your opponent.
Consider handing the ball off to someone in a better position.

Brisbane's Achilles heal will be playing very likely a Melbourne team on GF day at the MCG.

Would be great if they could overcome it though but anywhere outside the Gabba they are half a dozen goals less of a force.
I agree they’ve got that to overcome, but I genuinely reckon they’re ready.

liked: brisbane and gws both played extremely well. nothing better than seeing port lose while having the commentators heaping constant praise onto them. also thought it was extremely funny to see sydney on the other side of the umpiring decisions (both were touched mind you)

learned: kicking straight wins you matches, who knew!

hated: s**t umpiring

This weekend from Thursday to Saturday something became very clear , since the 2022 grand final getting a jump, start in the first quarter, has seen the demise of the catchup capabilities' of clubs in the AFL 1sts.

Melbourne tried, couldn't ,
Port tried, couldn't,
Saints tried , couldn't,
Sydney tried , couldn't

The fact that 2 to 4 goal breaks are nearly unbreakable , if a team just can add a couple of goals even when the challenge is on, and the challenge came in each of those four finals, and the games became a struggle for the catchup boys, because of frees that destroy matches not all!!!! But a lot. Some by 50 metres penalties to advantage, of a score happening.

That breaks hearts when you are 11 or 17 points down and the opposition manage to grab a goal or a fifity?
Two 50's in a row last night I don't know what for yet? But they are game killers and confidence killers.

And are used wrongly!

And those four games became a frustration because no matter who was behind, NOT one of them could make it to take the lead accept maybe Port for a minute or two. I think, I watched the lot, but frustration sends the mind blowing and none of them are your own team even. So its the game itself, that even the winners would be sighing with relief.

Thats not close football that's knowing it won't change that day, the winner is known.

Some of you will know exactly what I'm saying you can just see it. Its a feel for people who really follow the game, and even our goodie two shoes comentators from the Gary Lyon everything is great club, they know it but good pay and you'll praise eanything.
Anyhow,
Next enemy goal, heart break. Down the pole goes the flag. Heads hang.

My point was, none out of 4 losers could get back.

Bad kicking, petty frees, BALL UPS, yes as always balls ups galore.
Turning the games into frenzies of desperate lock downs style footy packs which the umpires could control better by blowing the whistle quicker and trying to clear the areas.
Where has the flow gone?

Winning in crappy style or any ugly way, seems to be the coaches pledge these days.

And if I see Big Joe squeal for a free kick again, I will be totally bald!

Not uncommon to see 4 ball ups in a row one after the other, happens all the time!

With infringements by the dozen in each wrestling pack.

But never called?

Some frees are umpires delights, some are to umps, just "not visible????" Thats the AFL rules now.
Pik a card and guess.

This game has become so manipulated, that once you can get a break you can hold it, that's the change in the game and it takes the fight out of the game and it reminds me of the past, ( well not so much) but times when some clubs including mine, could blitz an opponent in the first quarter, then spend the rest of the game burying them alive in goals.

Now in the home & away games that happens generally by top teams massacring any of the second division sides.

The difference in finals was that top team versus top team eg Melb Coll, Collingwood were able to hold out, and the last 5 minutes their back men saved them with marks and Melbourne forgot how to kick, now they are the sides you'd expect both to be seen playing off! But Melbourne couldn't win.
But Melbourne should have won? WHY Did they not ?
Why, bad kicking these days by teams THAT MAKE FINALS!!!! Make finals,!

Diluted talent pool and blokes who half the time aren't sure where to go, and players that do not have footy smarts?

(Oh that means they aren't footballers.)

And I have never seen so many turn over kicks these days, but in amongst I must admit, a handfull of dream passes.
From the few that have the nous and the kick to go with it.

Thats my good and bad, the good is great! The bad should not be.
But it is, by rules. Umpired by too by too many unfair petty penalties. that can and will eventually lead to a shonky result if it hasn't aready.

No BF I didn't have a bet, but I picked Coll Carl Port but not the Saints, I couldn't pick em and I am no fan of GWS or Toby the optometrist.

I guess the GF is where the real heavies get going on the ground, some unsociable footy, I'd like to see that.

I knew Syders had lost last year, in the GF to Geelong, first quarter, gave up after that, you could tell, a touch better this weekend, not enough though hey!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Learnt: Saints fans were sold a pup this year, Melbourne has no forward structure, and a reminder for Brisbane that the Grand Final is played in Melbourne and The Pies would have to have the worst case of Colliwobbles in history in order to lose the 2023 GF.

Ha mate!!!
Saints were sold a Lyon last year!

Hated pretty much all of it tbqhwy. 3/4 wrong teams won (relative to my mob and their games), commentary was diabolically shithouse and the umpires somehow even worse than the regular season. Bruzzzzzz missing 2+ will leave a bit of a foul taste in the mouth but I'll enjoy it at a petty level

Giants getting up was good tho, big big sound!

Liked: That Pies won
Hated: That we have a football boss who has never played football and is a lawyer overruling common sense from the MRO.

Liked: Pies getting some type of mojo going and kind of controlled the game v dees and really never looked like losing

Learnt: preparing for 2 close semi finals coming up and that week 1 went to script

Hated: Blues winning we have that blue wave for 1 more week

At the end of the day we are just going to have to make it work. If we can't win against a Melbourne team at the MCG we may aswell fold.

Liked: Giants winning, Lions winning solidly.
Hated: Brayshaw hit, Melbourne spraying it and Collingwood winning. Really wanted to see a Carlton Collingwood SF too.
Learnt: Giants are the real deal, chance at the flag if they keep this form up.

Liked: Giants and Blues getting up
Learnt: Ash going at pick 4 was no fluke
Hated: Amount of umps on the ground doesn’t hide the fact that they still can’t apply the rules correctly

Liked: Blues & Voss tasting victory.
Learnt: Demons cannot win at the MCG in a final. Hoodoo.
Hated: Not seeing Ashcroft in a final. Next year.

This weekend from Thursday to Saturday something became very clear , since the 2022 grand final getting a jump, start in the first quarter, has seen the demise of the catchup capabilities' of clubs in the AFL 1sts.

Melbourne tried, couldn't ,
Port tried, couldn't,
Saints tried , couldn't,
Sydney tried , couldn't

The fact that 2 to 4 goal breaks are nearly unbreakable , if a team just can add a couple of goals even when the challenge is on, and the challenge came in each of those four finals, and the games became a struggle for the catchup boys, because of frees that destroy matches not all!!!! But a lot. Some by 50 metres penalties to advantage, of a score happening.

That breaks hearts when you are 11 or 17 points down and the opposition manage to grab a goal or a fifity?
Two 50's in a row last night I don't know what for yet? But they are game killers and confidence killers.

And are used wrongly!

And those four games became a frustration because no matter who was behind, NOT one of them could make it to take the lead accept maybe Port for a minute or two. I think, I watched the lot, but frustration sends the mind blowing and none of them are your own team even. So its the game itself, that even the winners would be sighing with relief.

Thats not close football that's knowing it won't change that day, the winner is known.

Some of you will know exactly what I'm saying you can just see it. Its a feel for people who really follow the game, and even our goodie two shoes comentators from the Gary Lyon everything is great club, they know it but good pay and you'll praise eanything.
Anyhow,
Next enemy goal, heart break. Down the pole goes the flag. Heads hang.

My point was, none out of 4 losers could get back.

Bad kicking, petty frees, BALL UPS, yes as always balls ups galore.
Turning the games into frenzies of desperate lock downs style footy packs which the umpires could control better by blowing the whistle quicker and trying to clear the areas.
Where has the flow gone?

Winning in crappy style or any ugly way, seems to be the coaches pledge these days.

And if I see Big Joe squeal for a free kick again, I will be totally bald!

Not uncommon to see 4 ball ups in a row one after the other, happens all the time!

With infringements by the dozen in each wrestling pack.

But never called?

Some frees are umpires delights, some are to umps, just "not visible????" Thats the AFL rules now.
Pik a card and guess.

This game has become so manipulated, that once you can get a break you can hold it, that's the change in the game and it takes the fight out of the game and it reminds me of the past, ( well not so much) but times when some clubs including mine, could blitz an opponent in the first quarter, then spend the rest of the game burying them alive in goals.

Now in the home & away games that happens generally by top teams massacring any of the second division sides.

The difference in finals was that top team versus top team eg Melb Coll, Collingwood were able to hold out, and the last 5 minutes their back men saved them with marks and Melbourne forgot how to kick, now they are the sides you'd expect both to be seen playing off! But Melbourne couldn't win.
But Melbourne should have won? WHY Did they not ?
Why, bad kicking these days by teams THAT MAKE FINALS!!!! Make finals,!

Diluted talent pool and blokes who half the time aren't sure where to go, and players that do not have footy smarts?

(Oh that means they aren't footballers.)

And I have never seen so many turn over kicks these days, but in amongst I must admit, a handfull of dream passes.
From the few that have the nous and the kick to go with it.

Thats my good and bad, the good is great! The bad should not be.
But it is, by rules. Umpired by too by too many unfair petty penalties. that can and will eventually lead to a shonky result if it hasn't aready.

No BF I didn't have a bet, but I picked Coll Carl Port but not the Saints, I couldn't pick em and I am no fan of GWS or Toby the optometrist.

I guess the GF is where the real heavies get going on the ground, some unsociable footy, I'd like to see that.

I knew Syders had lost last year, in the GF to Geelong, first quarter, gave up after that, you could tell, a touch better this weekend, not enough though hey!
“Pretty sure someone's gonna print
that speech on a tea towel someday.”

1694339437945.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back