Opinion AFL 2023 Finals Week 2 - Liked, Learnt, Hated SEMI FINALS EDITION

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked - Steve Coniglio, Toby Greene, Tom Green, Adam Kingsley and the best song in footy. Take nothing away from the Blues win in the other semi final but I can’t go past the big big sound. They’re such good fun to watch and I’m thrilled to stay on the bandwagon for another week.

Learnt - Kieren Briggs could be anything. Already a massive presence and at 23 he’s still a few years away from hitting peak age for a ruckman. Huge loss if he’s not right for next week.

Hated - Struggling to come up with much here so I’ll go for the low hanging fruit and say I couldn’t stand the commentary in tonight’s game. Luke Darcy has no business being near a microphone and he wasn’t the only one.

Liked : The GWS Giants win again

Learnt: The Giants can upset the Magpie applecart big time next week and a Brisbane vs. GWS Grand Final is a real possibility

Hated: The GWS theme song is a shocker...
Yeah nah their tune is mint.

We should buy it off them and give them our dog of a thing

Liked- Cogs and Whitfield playing their right positions is half the reason GWS are in a prelim which makes you wonder what the other coach was doing

Learnt-
1.Sam Taylor is so much in front of anyone as a key defender it’s not even remotely close
2. Really underrated game by Motlop could be one of the elite smalls in 2-3 years

Hated

Melbourne and their putrid ball movement it’s like they learnt nothing all week

OH THERE'S A BIG BIG SOUND FROM THE WEST OF THE TOWN

Liked: the dismantling of an overrated outfit (established in 1997) by GWS, what a game! Tom Green was robbed from the all australian side and his past fortnight has proven that. The whole outfit looked great from the get go and while inaccurate, never let Port have a sniff of anything close to success.

Learnt: The GWS midfield looks better in it's current iteration than with Hopper/Taranto and it's great to see them finding some well deserved success.
Carlton's season defining loss to Essendon in round 11 has certainly motivated them to enter the prelims, next week's game will be fascinating though.

Hated: some shocking calls in tonight's game, terrible sub decisions by both losers (Schache AND Finlayson? spare me) commentary tonight was making my ears bleed

Liked - a bit of straight set action brought to you by Melbourne and Port

Learnt - pretty much everyone dismissing Carltons chances next week despite losing 1 irrelevant game in 3 months. Also the Orange Tsunami is real. There would be a few nervous people out there .

Hated - Melbourne's attempt at trying to be a tough footy side. There are ways of going about it and what I saw on Friday night wasn't it

Yeah nah their tune is mint.

We should buy it off them and give them our dog of a thing
OH THERE'S A BIG BIG SOUND FROM THE WEST OF THE LAND IT'S THE SOUND OF THE MIGHTY EAGLES

vs

We're walking tall ...
We're the Giants, western Giants and we're here to show you how... we are the big feet ...

Hey at least you don't have the Sun's song!

OH THERE'S A BIG BIG SOUND FROM THE WEST OF THE LAND IT'S THE SOUND OF THE MIGHTY EAGLES

vs

We're walking tall ...
We're the Giants, western Giants and we're here to show you how... we are the big feet ...

Hey at least you don't have the Sun's song!
B647D528-9F8C-41B0-8F38-8F9F5BB3552D.jpeg

Liked: The gutsy run & connection GWS have. Cogs, Ward & Tom Green showing the young Port mids how it's done. Taylor & Buckley holding down that last line for the most part.

Learnt: Brisbane might play them in the finals.

Hated: The fact I can't get that catchy song of theirs out of my head now.

Liked - The big sound, aka the Giants = superb effort on the road but to no surprise. Port gave it their best after halftime but GWS got the job done. Their 4th preliminary final and 3rd from outside the top 4. I think the Collingwood vs GWS prelim is perhaps the two in form sides right now, should be a fascinating game because GWS has been there and done it before, beaten Collingwood in one of the biggest preliminary final upsets back in 2019.
Learnt: GWS are also the 4th team from 7th or lower to make a preliminary final. North 1997 and 2015 from 8th, Bulldogs 2016, GWS 2023.
Hated: Some score review decisions. Yep it is tough. Some of the goal kicking was horrible this weekend.

Liked : The GWS Giants win again

Learnt: The Giants can upset the Magpie applecart big time next week and a Brisbane vs. GWS Grand Final is a real possibility

Hated: The GWS theme song is a shocker...
I want you.
I need you.
There aint no way I'm ever gonna love you.
Don't feel sad.
2 outa 3 aint bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked: The most recent Grand Final win (apart from GWS) for the final 4 teams is Collingwood in 2010. Good that the dynasty teams are no longer there.

Learnt: There will be a day of mourning in Victoria if both Collingwood and Carlton lose next weekend.

Hated: Ch7's Saturday night commentary team. Whoever employs the commentators and packages the broadcast must be absolutely untouchable within Ch7. How else can Jobe Watson, Daisy Pearce, Luke Darcy et.al be let loose on our senses?

Liked: The Orange Team. They're delicious to watch.
Learned: Melbourne have some genuine issues - particularly in their front half.
Hated: Nothing really. It was a fun round.

Last edited:
Liked: Giants style of football!
Learnt: Port peaked too early this year.
Hated: Demons flop job again! Just kick the goal Gawn & Fritsch! And Gawn don’t touch a ball that’s going through!
Haha yeah I saw that touch, poor Max, I don't think the commentators even mentioned it..

Not a learned per se ... I mean we know that the purity and fairness of the competition is a low ranking element (if it is even in there) in the fixturing algoritm and the cash flow element is extremely high...

That being said does anyone believe that if Saturday's Port v Giants game had been a Port v Pies game instead that the relevant semi final would still have been played on Friday night after a 6 day turn around with an overnight stay in Adelaide?

So I suppose I can put in hated ... the way simple and fair option for scheduling was obliterated to the advantage of both the bottom line and, co-incidently I am sure, a core Melbourne team.

Not a learned per se ... I mean we know that the purity and fairness of the competition is a low ranking element (if it is even in there) in the fixturing algoritm and the cash flow element is extremely high...

That being said does anyone believe that if Saturday's Port v Giants game had been a Port v Pies game instead that the relevant semi final would still have been played on Friday night after a 6 day turn around with an overnight stay in Adelaide?

So I suppose I can put in hated ... the way simple and fair option for scheduling was obliterated to the advantage of both the bottom line and, co-incidently I am sure, a core Melbourne team.
You realise Collingwood finished on top, yeah?

Liked both Carlton and GWS Winning.
Was there on Friday night was unreal.
Oh and that GWS song is lit

Learnt that both Melbourne and Port are not as good as we thought. Although for the Deez I look at their team as a whole, and they still have a midfield and backline that most teams would dream for, a few injuries and a flaky forward line could potentially cost them another flag.

Hated: The airlines are a ******* rort and a deadset joke. I've been through it, and I feel for supporters trying to get up north to or down to Melbourne for a perlim. Unbelievable how many supporters will miss out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back