Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 1 - Bombers v Hawks Sat March 16th 1:45pm AEDT (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Dons by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Dons by 7 - 20

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Dons by a lot

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon-vs-Hawthorn.png

AFL 2024 PREMIERSHIP SEASON ROUND 1
ESSENDON V HAWTHORN
SATURDAY MARCH 16TH 1:45PM AEDT (M.C.G.)

Live scores on BigFooty during the match.

TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY

CLICK HERE :arrowright: TIP IN BIGFOOTY TIPPING
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

:arrowright: Best score each round wins a Premium Platinum memberships!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket

Medallion Club tickets at the MCG and Marvel
Corporate Box tickets at the MCG and Marvel
AFL Finals Tickets

Optus Stadium open air box tickets

Adelaide Oval Stadium Club tickets

Heritage Bank Stadium Lounge tickets

GABBA Open Air Corporate Boxes

Teams
BOMBERS

B: A. McGrath, B. McKay, D. Heppell
HB: M. Redman, Z. Reid, J. Kelly
C: E. Tsatas, J. Caldwell, N. Martin
HF: S. Durham, K. Langford, A. Perkins
F: J. Stringer, P. Wright, J. Gresham
FOLL: T. Goldstein, W. Setterfield, Z. Merrett - C

I/C: N. Cox, H. Jones, X. Duursma, M. Guelfi, J. Menzie
EMG: S. Draper, J. Laverde, N. Hind

HAWKS

B: J. Impey, S. Frost, J. Scrimshaw
HB: M. D’Ambrosio, J. Sicily - C, C. Mackenzie
C: C. Macdonald, J. Newcombe, J. Weddle
HF: M. Chol, D. Moore, N. Watson
F: B. Hardwick, M. Lewis, J. Ginnivan
FOLL: N. Reeves, J. Ward, C. Nash

I/C: F. Maginness, J. Worpel, J. Gunston, L. Breust, K. Amon
EMG: M. Ramsden, E. Phillips, H. Hustwaite

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

Dissect the game with other fans

Last edited:

Toss of a coin for me, both sides have some players missing and struggle with consistency. could easily be a close game or a blowout either way.

Hard to have your house on the Bombers but I think they do this fairly easily to be honest. Admittedly it was only a meaningless pre-season game but the Hawks backline looked way too easy to score against vs the Bulldogs.

On face value you would have to say the dons get this one done.
But the dons just can’t be trusted and even more so without Ridley and Parish.
If the hawks can’t beat the dons here, it begs the question, who will they beat this season to climb out of the cellar …

It’ll be an interesting game. Two sides in a similar spot, with differing styles and demographics. It’s as simple as who can get the game on their term for longer, both forward lines seem potent, midfields strong & backlines average without a form line.

You think the Dons midfield and forwards are of a similar level to the Dogs ?
Not really but apart from Newcombe (who’s a gun) and Worpel (who is not) yours is still fairly green. Talented, but green. They’d need to win the midfield battle comfortably to convince me they could overcome that issue in defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really but apart from Newcombe (who’s a gun) and Worpel (who is not) yours is still fairly green. Talented, but green. They’d need to win the midfield battle comfortably to convince me they could overcome that issue in defence.
Hawks were smacked out of the middle by the Dogs. Double the amount of inside 50’s, which no defense is going to be able to hold up against let alone ours.

Without Day in the middle and the other injuries we have we’re likely to build slowly into the year like 2023 until we get a few players back, but you’re also underselling Worpel a little there, who was 10th in the league last year for average clearances, and 7th for Centre clearances.

Hawks were smacked out of the middle by the Dogs. Double the amount of inside 50’s, which no defense is going to be able to hold up against let alone ours.

Without Day in the middle and the other injuries we have we’re likely to build slowly into the year like 2023 until we get a few players back, but you’re also underselling Worpel a little there, who was 10th in the league last year for average clearances, and 7th for Centre clearances.
Yeah I probably am underselling him a little, I just think surely the time has come for him to be transitioned out of there. He’s important insofar as he brings some experience in there but he’s not going to be part of your next flag-winning (or even flag-contending) midfield rotation. He might be able to win a clearance but I don’t think he keeps opposition coaches awake at night.

Yeah I probably am underselling him a little, I just think surely the time has come for him to be transitioned out of there. He’s important insofar as he brings some experience in there but he’s not going to be part of your next flag-winning (or even flag-contending) midfield rotation. He might be able to win a clearance but I don’t think he keeps opposition coaches awake at night.
hes only just turned 25? would be on a similar level to tom mitchell who just played in the pies flag

hes only just turned 25? would be on a similar level to tom mitchell who just played in the pies flag
Age isn’t the issue I have with him though. To me he just looks like a one-dimensional player with below-average disposal that your talented kids will sail past at some point. But I am open to the possibility that Hawthorn fans such as yourself who see him week in week out might have seen things I haven’t, and rate him higher than I do as a result.

Age isn’t the issue I have with him though. To me he just looks like a one-dimensional player with below-average disposal that your talented kids will sail past at some point. But I am open to the possibility that Hawthorn fans such as yourself who see him week in week out might have seen things I haven’t, and rate him higher than I do as a result.

Nah, your assessment is pretty much bang on.

Was one of the best contested possession and clearance players while also having the strength to break away from contests.

The challenge for him aside from his kicking has always been his consistency and endurance. He will swing between big quarters and quiet quarters.

At 25 he needs to start putting it all together. His best is very good, his worst really bad.

If he performs close to his best we will have the best midfield in the league if all the younger players go past him.

Lost my optimism with the named team. The midfield battle is in Hawthorn's favour with Parish and Hobbs out and Merrett likely to be tagged so it'll depend on how much pressure the Essendon mids bring to allow Martin, Redman, Reid and McKay to intercept in defence/HB. Our forwardline certainly can destroy Hawthorn's undermanned backline but will it get there enough? Don't think so. Not confident.

1 of 2 possible outcomes.
1: Hawthorn pull of a major upset.
2: Hawthorn get Smashed.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

major upset?

the odds are close as *

Essendon rightly so are not heavy favourites for this. Hawks winning will be no major upset.

This is a little beyond a flip of a coin.

Back