MRP / Trib. AFL 2nd Semi Final findings - Paul Chapman accepts one-week ban for bump on Robbie Gray

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel 7 reporter Mark Stevens appears to have been worded up by AFL HQ on this and is saying Reckless rather than Negligent will be the verdict because he has "jumped" into Gray.

Not sure what exactly constitutes a "jump" but from the slo-mo replay you would have to say Chapman has left the ground to some degree but it's not quite a leap; it's a marginal call open to interpretation.

Given the bump's force was quite low and sits on the blurry line between just a free-kick and a report, Chappy would be stiff to get a 2 week suspension (reduced to 1 with early plea) on this.

This grab from Mark Fraser (1:30 into the video) on the Ziebell bump indicates that the jumping was why it was given a Reckless verdict.

Looking at that video, you could argue that the Taylor Duryea incident is closer to the Chappy one.
The impact is immediately after the kick, the contact is still high, but the player gets up, so it's not deemed worthy of a penalty.

i think its a good thing (for chapman) that ted richards has also been booked for a fairly innocuous bump on casboult... i doubt he will go, and while chapmans was a tad 'worse', the MRP may be more inclined to go easy on chapman if richards gets off.

im not one of those 'the game has gone soft' types, but — even leaving the fact we want chapman in the side to give us a better chance — it is terrible that two players might lose the chance to play in a PF for two bumps which previously would have not rated a mention 30 seconds after being delivered.

Looking at that video, you could argue that the Taylor Duryea incident is closer to the Chappy one.
The impact is immediately after the kick, the contact is still high, but the player gets up, so it's not deemed worthy of a penalty.

The difference between Chapman and Duryea is that Duryea was actually attempting to smother and the head contact was incidental to that.
Chapman wasn't attempting to smother - he was going to, but then realised he was too late, and dropped his hands and jumped and bumped. He's not as bad as Ziebell's very late cheap shot, he's much closer to Franklin's almost instantaneous bump.
But he won't be helped by the fact that he had his hands out to smother, then dropped them before he went the bump instead.

All comes down to reckless or negligent.

Chapman's feet moved from the ground (I'd hardly call it a 'jump' - was about 5cm from the turf) whereas Franklin's didn't.

But Franklin's bump was far later after Malceski had kicked the ball and Chapman's was almost instantaneous. Chapman's bump affected the kick to go OOF.

I am hoping/expecting it will be graded as negligent given Franklin's was. Surely it will be low impact too given Gray didn't have to leave the play and Port's medical report will state he had no ill effects.

I hope Chapman plays on Friday. I understand that the AFL want to protect the players from getting head injuries but are engineering the bump out of the game. Any taller player will almost certainly bump a shorter player high so coaches are teaching players to tackle rather than use the sometimes very effective hip and shoulder.

Good article in the Herald Sun today that says the report should be thrown out if it cannot he established that forceful contact was not made to Gray's head or neck.

Also, quotes from Gray confirming he was not impacted by the bump and Port's medical report will favour us.

Good article in the Herald Sun today that says the report should be thrown out if it cannot he established that forceful contact was not made to Gray's head or neck.

Also, quotes from Gray confirming he was not impacted by the bump and Port's medical report will favour us.

im more nervous about the MRP report on monday than i am about the game :confused:

i hope youre (or theyre) right.

From where i was sitting chappy didn't even get him in the head. Admittedly I was sitting in a bar in Bangkok. Chappy effected the kick causing gray to kick it oob. He was going to collide with gray and braced for impact. Impact was shoulder to shoulder. Gray gets the free for high when we should have got the oob. Chappy has no case to answer and it wont be a report. The contact to the head is an optical illusion as the shoulder to shoulder impact causes the head to go back by reflex. Got a feeling that the view from the other side of the equator may be different.

From where i was sitting chappy didn't even get him in the head. Admittedly I was sitting in a bar in Bangkok. Chappy effected the kick causing gray to kick it oob. He was going to collide with gray and braced for impact. Impact was shoulder to shoulder. Gray gets the free for high when we should have got the oob. Chappy has no case to answer and it wont be a report. The contact to the head is an optical illusion as the shoulder to shoulder impact causes the head to go back by reflex. Got a feeling that the view from the other side of the equator may be different.

Chappy may be OK then, because it's fairly obvious that many of the MRP decisions are made from a bar in Bangkok. ;)

Seemed like there were 10 worse bumps in the VFL on Saturday and it was just get up, play on.

I am hoping/expecting it will be graded as negligent given Franklin's was. Surely it will be low impact too given Gray didn't have to leave the play and Port's medical report will state he had no ill effects.

Was wondering what Franklin's was graded as, negligent or reckless, now I know.

Going by that can't see how Chappy's could be reckless then (this is the MRP we're talking about so who knows:eek:) which means medium or low impact will be the deciding factor I guess.

*Can't believe I just wasted five minutes of my life trying to predict what those clowns will come up with.*

I wonder if Chappy's prolonged absence this year is why he even attempted a bump in the first place.
Surely another brain fade in finals will be costly.
But I seriously thought at the time watching it live and repeatedly replayed, that the contact was shoulder to shoulder and the head was more whiplashed to the side, and Gray had no signs of a head clash. And it was instantaneous, not after the event.

I would HATE that to be Chappy's last game for us. WE MUST WIN. If he gets a week only, all will be forgotten if we win.

What would happen if its graded as High, Medium and Reckless? Would that be 3 weeks down to 2...:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but didn't Goddard say the exact same thing?

The MRP is a lotto, unless you're wearing wee and poo. Mark Fraser seems to be biased towards those colours.

i had this discussion earlier with friends. it HAS to be low impact. everything else is the same as the Franklin one, however on this occasion the player got up immediately and continued without any discomfort. In the Franklin case, the player went off the ground and had scans on his jaw. Player was off for a good 20-30 minutes i think. so based on that being medium impact, the Chapman one must be low. Otherwise it will be the same; negligent, and high contact. so: negligent, high contact and low impact is a hundred and something, guilty plea, down to reprimand and 90 points or some such. If the MRP have any credibility, its the only result.

I'm sure that Chappy will be assessed as Low Impact - The Port Doctor won't put Chappy in

The only question is whether it's negligent or reckless

If you look at previous bumps all year... most recently Dustin Fletcher - if you leave the ground to bump you'll be reckless

If you watch "The Verdict" from Round 23. Fraser explains that Buddy was assessed as negligent, but would have been reckless had he left the ground to bump

All we ever want is consistency from the MRP - so it's a pretty easy decision

That said, I'm expecting Chappy to get a reprimand

See you Friday

All comes down to reckless or negligent.

Chapman's feet moved from the ground (I'd hardly call it a 'jump' - was about 5cm from the turf) whereas Franklin's didn't.

But Franklin's bump was far later after Malceski had kicked the ball and Chapman's was almost instantaneous. Chapman's bump affected the kick to go OOF.

This should be the core of our defence...

It really was incredibly soft, if Paul Chapman hits you properly you would not be bouncing off.

I am pretty confident he will get off, they do tend to display more common sense during finals.

Let's hope the all MRP members have the same opinion as Mark Robinson.

From Tackle;

"The match review panel ruled Franklin negligent and medium impact. Surely Chapman gets the same negligent category and surely he gets low impact. There were no scans for Gray after all.

If so, it means Chapman will play in the preliminary final."

Makes sense to me.

We complain all year about how the MRP screws us over, and rightly so, we've got the rough end of the stick on pretty much all occasions.

Why would this be different?

I'm expecting 2 weeks down to 1.

If it's any less than that then I'll save that for a surprise and not expect it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back