Game Day Match Sim vs Hawthorn - Daz can’t be effed making a new one

Remove this Banner Ad

My take and not just on last nights match is Bowes has Parfitt covered I've seen a bit of him up here,Bruhn is the 20 year old coming hard he's not as clean or as good overhead as Bowes but is the one more likely to threaten Parfitts midfield role Bowes is capable of a utility role expect him to work between the arcs also with some mid field rotation if required.

I think our work between the arcs was integral to our success and Flag.
I recall watching us trying to go fast some time ago but we were turnover prone between the arcs and up forward on entry - particularly when forced to bomb long.
We've corrected that big time now and move it with such precision and at variable speed depending on what opens up - plus we don't turn it over anywhere near as much and protect it better when we do.
We're putting a premium on running ability strongly now so I suspect we will continue to play that way , maybe with a stronger clearance performance to round out our game plan.
Going to be an exciting 2023.

I think Bruhns time at gws shows that he's inside or bust. Was not holding his own as a forward
I’ve been saying that they managed him terribly.

As much as I’ve been hard on Bruhn, I’ve always done it on the proviso that he was not playing where he needed to play and almost might aswell just apply his craft in the VFL to dominate it and gain confidence rather than be hidden in the front half at GWS and given almost zero shot at his true position.

He is a strong bodied inside mid.
Not overly fast, not overly classy... but a hard inside type.

The thing I will say that impressed me about him yesterday is that he seemed to get a bit of it... would love to know the stats.

I got zero surprises watching his style of play, I know that what he does... I was more worried he wouldn’t get his hands on it enough.

Seemed to get it a bit though.

I will say that he was probably going pretty hard though knowing he isn’t in the side, whilst other guys just ran around no stress + we played one of the weakest teams you could find.

So whilst it was a nice start for him... I look forward to seeing it consistently and against better players + hopefully improving his game even more.

Solid start though.

Cats will be cautious with Jack Henry.

Same part of his foot that he had previous issues with. Will be out of action for early rounds I reckon. Cats showed their hand last year on not rushing blokes back, and depth better this year.

Won’t see him much before mid season if it’s the same injury.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Same part of his foot that he had previous issues with. Will be out of action for early rounds I reckon. Cats showed their hand last year on not rushing blokes back, and depth better this year.

Having followed the Cats thru Stoneham and Egan ... take as long as needed. Other like Neale might need to find a way to stay fit... and maybe what we saw Sam Dek being used upfield and ESav in the backline is an option

Having followed the Cats thru Stoneham and Egan ... take as long as needed. Other like Neale might need to find a way to stay fit... and maybe what we saw Sam Dek being used upfield and ESav in the backline is an option
Absolutely. I think Harry Taylor had something similar towards the end of his career, and it was managed well and given adequate time to heal.

I think as a club, and an industry, we have come a long way over the years with these types of injuries, and we have become much more aware and educated as to how to manage and treat them.

I have much more confidence now than even 10-years ago. We have come a long way with sports science and medical treatment / rehabilitation over the years.

He's in great hands..

I think our work between the arcs was integral to our success and Flag.
I recall watching us trying to go fast some time ago but we were turnover prone between the arcs and up forward on entry - particularly when forced to bomb long.
We've corrected that big time now and move it with such precision and at variable speed depending on what opens up - plus we don't turn it over anywhere near as much and protect it better when we do.
We're putting a premium on running ability strongly now so I suspect we will continue to play that way , maybe with a stronger clearance performance to round out our game plan.
Going to be an exciting 2023.

2019-2020 we tried for fast and clean, and really got punished if we turned it over. 2021 we just tried for clean, and NGL it wasn't much fun to watch and it fell apart in finals. 2022 was fast, with a focus on maintaining structure behind the ball so if we lose possession it doesn't hurt us.

best Cats under 25's

back - SDK/SAV/Jenry/zuth/???/???
mid - Holmes/parfitt/Simpson/Riccardi/bowes/Bruhn
fwd- Neale/Henry/Close/Stengle/Miers/Dempsey

We don't really have any young small defenders, and in ruck Conway is a ways off but those are probably the easiest list spots to fill via trade. Looking promising.
Yeah but in terms of skill set you can chuck a defensively minded mid down back as a small defender and they should pick it up.

Bews literally just locked individual players down until he learned to football. Now look at him.

Draft mids and try them back if they fail at midfield

Yeah but in terms of skill set you can chuck a defensively minded mid down back as a small defender and they should pick it up.

Bews literally just locked individual players down until he learned to football. Now look at him.

Draft mids and try them back if they fail at midfield
Im sure we can find something in the half dozen younger players I couldn't find a spot for.

I can feel the avalanche of hate about to fall. The audible crack of ice , get under the ledge...the crumbling bits of ice and here...it...comes...

SEN this morning had Cornes saying its everyone eles playing for second .... Edmond starts his show ... with. the Jaws sound track ....

Rich and melb supporters are going to be acid like in their dismissal. .... for us ... its a long year. Its only Feb. d prefer not to be the front runner so early.
Always better to fly under the radar, as in previous years.

Still, cough back to back cough 🤞🏻

1677224202953.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol.... how the hell have we regenerated our list this well while being top 4 and winning GF's? Outside of the ruck we can probably field a competitive team all under 25 right now. Crazy.

Just whipped up a team of players aged 25 and under on our list at the moment:

B: Z.Guthrie De Koning J.Henry
HB: Mullin Ratugolea Simpson
C: Parfitt Bruhn Holmes
HF: Miers Foster Close
F: Stengle Neale O.Henry
Foll: Conway Bowes Clark
Int: Knevitt Willis Clohesy Riccardi
Sub: Kroeger

Based on the Hawks game:
  • It looked like we won every matchup on the field in the first 4 quarters except against Moore. Was it mostly Bews?
  • Ratugolea could push Kolo for the second tall defender spot. It’s a big task after Kolo’s ‘22 finals campaign but his advantage is he has genuine KPD size to play on the leagues biggest forwards where Kolo gives up a bit of height/weight.
  • Bowes looks a Rolls Royce and lock in the best 22. His ball use immediately stood out and it looks like he has more time than others (a bit like Pendlebury in style)….steal?
  • Bruhn looks best 22 also and a part of the core inside midfield group. That doesn’t bode well for Parfitt’s chances of selection.
  • Dempsey has closed the gap some on Miers and could push him but it still appears it’s Miers spot.
  • I like how involved O.Henry was, super encouraging long term but he needs to be cleaner. There were too many fumbles in between some real moments of brilliance, that could hurt his chances of locking down a best 22 spot in the near term.
  • Clarke didn’t have the kind of immediate impact that points to round 1 selection. That’s not a knock on him as a prospect but unless there is a big upswing the next few games I’d not be picking him for SuperCoach.
  • The one disappointment from the game I thought was O’Connor, he looks likely to be squeezed out based on the talent on display.
  • In the VFL hit out I was encouraged by Riccardi, Knevitt, and Murdoch but I don’t see regular appearances in ‘23.
  • I don't think Duncan, Hawkins, Rohan, Simpson, Conway, or Neale played.

Parfitt was only last picked because he had an injury interrupted season and by the time he got back we were rolling.

When he is fit he always plays.

Yeah but did we have the depth 2 years ago that we have now? Things can change.

Remember when parf got injured atkins was a half back and fringe 22, between now and then atkins has become a mid and a good one. Now i suppose we could play parf as a fwd but he doesnt have the dynamic goalscoring that miers/close/stengle have so i doubt that works structurally.
And im not sure both atkins and parf as defensive mids is needed.

Now i could be wrong, 12-18 months ago no way did i think atkins could reinvent himself as a mid, maybe parfitt can reinvent himself in a 2nd position in the same way.

Based on the Hawks game:
  • It looked like we won every matchup on the field in the first 4 quarters except against Moore. Was it mostly Bews?
  • Ratugolea could push Kolo for the second tall defender spot. It’s a big task after Kolo’s ‘22 finals campaign but his advantage is he has genuine KPD size to play on the leagues biggest forwards where Kolo gives up a bit of height/weight.
  • Bowes looks a Rolls Royce and lock in the best 22. His ball use immediately stood out and it looks like he has more time than others (a bit like Pendlebury in style)….steal?
  • Bruhn looks best 22 also and a part of the core inside midfield group. That doesn’t bode well for Parfitt’s chances of selection.
  • Dempsey has closed the gap some on Miers and could push him but it still appears it’s Miers spot.
  • I like how involved O.Henry was, super encouraging long term but he needs to be cleaner. There were too many fumbles in between some real moments of brilliance, that could hurt his chances of locking down a best 22 spot in the near term.
  • Clarke didn’t have the kind of immediate impact that points to round 1 selection. That’s not a knock on him as a prospect but unless there is a big upswing the next few games I’d not be picking him for SuperCoach.
  • The one disappointment from the game I thought was O’Connor, he looks likely to be squeezed out based on the talent on display.
  • In the VFL hit out I was encouraged by Riccardi, Knevitt, and Murdoch but I don’t see regular appearances in ‘23.
I liked your summary overall but there is no way Sav will push Kolo out. They will play alongside each other at stages if there is an injury to Henry or SDK etc.

Even before his superb finals series, Kolo's spot was absolutely never in doubt last year or indeed in previous years despite the board's protestations.

Based on the Hawks game:

Agree with all that.
I know moc probably just played the vfl game as he was in ireland til jan and therefore a bit behind program wise.
But i think he will miss the 23 as we have too many defenders and he is surplus to reqs.
Agree on bruhn and dempsey, i think ollie will play until hawk is fit but after then would we pick him ahead of rohan?

I think bowes will get games.
I doubt rata gets in ahead of kolo but he was reasonable.

Riccardi clearly doesnt have an afl body yet but i saw some glimpses, and knevitt has made some real progress.

Thats sad but we do have the depth to cover him.
Sav might get games as a kpd, ollie H can play fwd.
While henry and hawk are structurally important i agree we shouldnt rush them back-give them time.

MOC is just good depth for now. The side will be shuffled up with rotations but his main route in the side would rely on a Tuohy, Zuthrie or Bews etc being rested or injured. Some positional versatility perhaps extends that to Smith and Duncan on the wing but some of the new recruits would step in to those roles as well.

It is a GREAT sign that we have depth across most positions as injuries will come and the rotation policy amongst veterans will be critical at stages of the season.

I was impressed with Clohesy at the Falcons and even more with his performance last night.

Wont get games in the afl straight away but i loved his contest work and had more speed than i expected. Could be a good one.

The difference is, Parfitt has played over 100 games with Geelong as a 24 year old. Bowes has played zero. Parfitt has the runs on the board and it will be his spot to lose.

Thats if you assume parfitt and bowes are competing for the same spot. In the reality one or both of them might be competing for atkins spot and not get it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back