AFL allocates Zones to Victorian Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
The AFL has allocated Victorian teams (at this stage, SA and WA clubs to follow) zones in Victoria and in NT in order to push their brands and potentially set up similar academies to the 'Northern Clubs' with a particular focus on those with Indigenous or diverse backgrounds.

The zone(s) for each club are as follows;

Western Bulldogs
– Western Melbourne, Wimmera, Mallee, South West Victoria, Ballarat, (North Ballarat Rebels & Western Jets)

Essendon – North West Melbourne (Calder Cannons), West Arnhem (NT)

Melbourne – South East Melbourne (Dandenong Stingrays), Alice Springs (NT)

Collingwood – Central Melbourne (Oakleigh Chargers), Barkly (NT)

St Kilda – Inner Southern Melbourne (Sandringham Dragons), Frankston LGA

North Melbourne – Melbourne and Wyndham LGAs (Calder Cannons & Western Jets)

Hawthorn – Eastern/Whitehorse LGAs (Eastern Ranges), Gippsland (Gippsland Power), Katherine (NT)

Carlton – Northern Melbourne (Northern Knights)

Geelong – Geelong /Hampden (Geelong Falcons), East Arnhem (NT)

Richmond – Goulburn Murray, Bendigo, Sunraysia, North Central (Bendigo Pioneers and Murray Bushrangers)

Strange array of areas and zones, with some clubs given multiple, some single with some given areas of NT as well with some not. Original zoning areas aka Carlton - Bendigo area seemed to have been cast aside with 'all clubs consulting and agreeing on zones', or say the AFL says.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-03/victorian-clubs-handed-afl-funding-for-academies

What do we make of this? Seems to have come fairly out of the blue...

Seems like we are going to further muddy the purity of the draft and continually undermine the AFL's staunch stance on equalisation. Can see the richer clubs doing considerably better out of this and talented juniors and their families looking for a sea change, to name a couple of things.

Last edited:
Could anyone with more knowledge about this than I tell me what current players belonged to these clubs?

Western Bulldogs – Western Melbourne, Wimmera, Mallee, South West Victoria, Ballarat, (North Ballarat Rebels & Western Jets)

Essendon – North West Melbourne (Calder Cannons), West Arnhem (NT)

Melbourne – South East Melbourne (Dandenong Stingrays), Alice Springs (NT)

Collingwood – Central Melbourne (Oakleigh Chargers), Barkly (NT)

St Kilda – Inner Southern Melbourne (Sandringham Dragons), Frankston LGA

North Melbourne – Melbourne and Wyndham LGAs (Calder Cannons & Western Jets)

Hawthorn – Eastern/Whitehorse LGAs (Eastern Ranges), Gippsland (Gippsland Power), Katherine (NT)

Carlton – Northern Melbourne (Northern Knights)

Geelong – Geelong /Hampden (Geelong Falcons), East Arnhem (NT)

Richmond – Goulburn Murray, Bendigo, Sunraysia, North Central (Bendigo Pioneers and Murray Bushrangers)

(at this stage, SA and WA clubs to follow)

Ours has been running for a number of years already (Wayne Milera came through it this year). Just need like for like draft rights with the Northern states.

Hadn't heard of this being so close to a press release. I think it is great and will bring a sense of community to more clubs.

Makes no sense. Why do us and North share Western Jets? We are the only team in west Melbourne in the league. This is just stupid.

This is ******* absurd

Just get rid of the draft then and police the salary cap strictly

I am guessing the same bidding process will be put in place. Will make a very complicated draft that is for sure as everyone will have players to bid on.

One advantage to the idea, and it is a big one, is that it will help improve the depth of players a lot, and it will make drafting easier as well.

mapvic.jpg

mapnt.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indigenous players from Victoria (and this isn't at all an exclusive list) but:

Eddie Betts - Calder ---- Essendon/North
Adam Goodes - North Ballarat -- -- Bulldogs
Allen Christensen - Geelong ---- Geelong
Andrew Walker - Bendigo --- Richmond
Jay K-Harris - Oakleigh ---- Coll
Paul Ahern - Calder --- Ess/North
Nathan Drummond - Murray ---- Richmond
Koby Stevens - Gippsland ---- Hawthorn
Jarman Impey - Murray --- Richmond
Karl Amon - Sandy - St Kilda

Diverse backgrounds is even more interesting.

Almost certainly:

Majak Daw - Western Jets --- North/WB
Gach Nyuon - Dandenong --- Melb

But who else counts?
Adam and Ahmed Saad?
Dustin Martin and his Maori background?
Tom Boyd and his danish heritage?
Jordan De Goey, that's not an anglo name.

Ours has been running for a number of years already (Wayne Milera came through it this year). Just need like for like draft rights with the Northern states.

Hadn't heard of this being so close to a press release. I think it is great and will bring a sense of community to more clubs.

Looks like there will be some conditions, but it may be just an expansion and some actual player rights to those that comes through your existing academy. What is the point for Port currently apart from community involvement and grassroot development/relations?

It all seems a bit ambiguous at the moment, but I have some serious reservations about it...

How the **** do Victoria teams get anything to do with the NT? Traditional Aussie rules links to SA.

Thanks to the VFL for reminding me of the true nature of this comp. I needed reminding.
If the 2 SA and WA teams get to split the Indigenous talent in the state I think you'll come out ahead of the Vic teams. Although WA is probably the real winner there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back