Club History AFL greats Kevin Sheedy and Terry Daniher named in Krakouer brothers' racism class action

Remove this Banner Ad

I just hope there's a league wide look at it and a response. It seems clear the VFL had league wide issues for a long, long time. But we'll probably just see a shallow response with Essendon taken to task over it to sweep the rest under the rug. Again.

Wasn't just football leagues, was everywhere. I went to a boarding school in the 80s and the culture of the place was built from generations on violence, bullying and racism. If you were friends with foreign students you were mocked. For me it was weird as I had plenty of foreign friends. It wasn't until the 90s that this culture became recognised as toxic in society.

I just hope there's a league wide look at it and a response. It seems clear the VFL had league wide issues for a long, long time. But we'll probably just see a shallow response with Essendon taken to task over it to sweep the rest under the rug. Again.
Not sure how you can take a swipe at the AFL for not responding. Maybe you are still in your 20s?

What have the AFL done to acknowledge the wrongs of the past, say pre-winmar?

What has been their response to the allegations of the relative present (Hawthorne allegations)?
Do you not think the AFL are at the forefront of trying to stop racism in sport? Society as a whole was different in the 80s. Do you think the AFL should come out and apologise for the white Australia policy?

They just publicly said this....
"We fully acknowledge during our long history of the game there has been racism in Australian football and that players have been marginalised, hurt or discriminated against because of their race and for that we have apologised and continue to apologise and will continue to act to address that harm."

Last edited:
Not going to comment on the case but I don't doubt at all that they and every other Indigenous player would have copped a lot of abuse on field (i.e. from other players) until at least the time Longy took a stand against collingwood in the mid-90s. Pretty sure "ethnic" players like Dipper copped it too but I doubt to the same degree. Obviously isolated incidents of crowd abuse still occur, unfortunately, but there has been massive progress in the last 3 decades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you not think the AFL are at the forefront of trying to stop racism in sport? Society as a whole was different in the 80s. Do you think the AFL should come out and apologise for the white Australia policy?

They just publicly said this....
The AFL are big on patting themselves on the back publicly. They downplay their long history of discrimination by referring to discirmination in their long history.

How have they addressed the issues, by giving the clubs a couple of free kicks with academies?

The AFL are big on patting themselves on the back publicly. They downplay their long history of discrimination by referring to discirmination in their long history.

How have they addressed the issues, by giving the clubs a couple of free kicks with academies?
What do you propose they do?

What do you propose they do?
Well it would've been good to have a sit down with the Hawthorne complainants and maybe start a broader inquiry into issues of the like across the league.

I think much could be improved from listening to anyone who might choose to come forward with their stories, as Phil Krakouer has done.

Instead, the Hawthorne parties are dragged into the human rights commission kicking and screaming.

The AFL state they have apologised. Have they? There have been individual apologies to Adam Goodes, Robbbie Muir... has there ever been an acknowledgement of the issue in a broader sense?

Well it would've been good to have a sit down with the Hawthorne complainants and maybe start a broader inquiry into issues of the like across the league.

I think much could be improved from listening to anyone who might choose to come forward with their stories, as Phil Krakouer has done.

Instead, the Hawthorne parties are dragged into the human rights commission kicking and screaming.

The AFL state they have apologised. Have they? There have been individual apologies to Adam Goodes, Robbbie Muir... has there ever been an acknowledgement of the issue in a broader sense?
What's this?

"We fully acknowledge during our long history of the game there has been racism in Australian football and that players have been marginalised, hurt or discriminated against because of their race and for that we have apologised and continue to apologise and will continue to act to address that harm."

Ummmm did anyone here play footy back then? This sort of crap happened week in week out. My racist-but-just-in-a-classic-Aussie-way family would have referred to Phil and Jimmy using derogatory terms. That includes my mum who followed North and liked them both.

Don’t know about the specifics of who was named. Not sure how they were picked out but I guess it’s hard to name like .. over half of the opposition teams players, coaches and administrators across a decade.

The question isn’t if this sort of thing happened, it’s what responsibility an organization has 40 years later for operating in exactly the same way as mainstream society worked.

This isn’t like some Christian brothers pedophile sex expose. Yes that was common in the church but well and truly not ok in society. The class action I imagine would be pointing to a racist way of operating that was absolutely everywhere in 80s Australia. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Sometimes it feels like society hasn’t improved but despite there being a long way to go in so many ways, we have already made some good steps.

Ummmm did anyone here play footy back then? This sort of crap happened week in week out. My racist-but-just-in-a-classic-Aussie-way family would have referred to Phil and Jimmy using derogatory terms. That includes my mum who followed North and liked them both.

Don’t know about the specifics of who was named. Not sure how they were picked out but I guess it’s hard to name like .. over half of the opposition teams players, coaches and administrators across a decade.

The question isn’t if this sort of thing happened, it’s what responsibility an organization has 40 years later for operating in exactly the same way as mainstream society worked.

This isn’t like some Christian brothers pedophile sex expose. Yes that was common in the church but well and truly not ok in society. The class action I imagine would be pointing to a racist way of operating that was absolutely everywhere in 80s Australia. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Sometimes it feels like society hasn’t improved but despite there being a long way to go in so many ways, we have already made some good steps.
"It was the time" isn't a great line though.

Racism is pathetic, full stop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back