Club History AFL greats Kevin Sheedy and Terry Daniher named in Krakouer brothers' racism class action

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is what?
I think you're falling a bit behind.
It says they have apologised. Where have they apologised?
They did it as part of the individual apology to Goodes

"We apologise unreservedly for our failures during this period..."Failure to call out racism and not standing up for one of our own let down all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander players, past and present." .... "We are unified on this, and never want to see the mistakes of the past repeated."

How do you think the AFL could have handled that better do you reckon, Hank?
I think much of it could be made much better with sitting down and listening to and working with the aggrieved parties. I think this is what is meant by "truth telling" and "yarning"? It sounds pretty reasonable to me.

The shocking thing about the Hawthorne scandal is its recency, while we're all patting ourselves on the back about the work that has been/is being done to address racism. Absolutely sport has done a lot to improve race relations. But maybe we could do more?

The response to the Hawthorne stuff was a flat denial of any issue by the accused parties, and they have fought to have it all struck out - which it was on an AFL level without participation on their part.

I question if we will see a similar response to Krakouer's allegations. "We do so much, now be quiet and go away"

I think much of it could be made much better with sitting down and listening to and working with the aggrieved parties. I think this is what is meant by "truth telling" and "yarning"? It sounds pretty reasonable to me.

The shocking thing about the Hawthorne scandal is its recency, while we're all patting ourselves on the back about the work that has been/is being done to address racism. Absolutely sport has done a lot to improve race relations. But maybe we could do more?

The response to the Hawthorne stuff was a flat denial of any issue by the accused parties, and they have fought to have it all struck out - which it was on an AFL level without participation on their part.

I question if we will see a similar response to Krakouer's allegations. "We do so much, now be quiet and go away"
It's really important to recognise innocence until proven guilty. Comments until the investigation and due process are concluded are pointless.

On CPH2065 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This contains the full afl statement with regard Adam Goodes

There's no apology for historic racism contained within.
Mate they clearly acknowledge the mistakes of the past and that we need to learn from it and ensure it's never repeated.

Getting hung up on the terminology does nothing but give fuel to the "they'll never be happy" crowd.

The AFL concluded their investigation with no adverse findings.

Who are the 1-2 idiots who don't get it, to which you refer?
But it says an agreement has been reached with the First Nations players.

I think you can work out the 1-2. As a whole, the AFL community are united against racism in sport, there will, however, be a couple that are a bit slow to catch on. And also, it seems a couple that want to still be angry about racism, despite clear progress having been made in the last 40 years.

Mate they clearly acknowledge the mistakes of the past and that we need to learn from it and ensure it's never repeated.

Getting hung up on the terminology does nothing but give fuel to the "they'll never be happy" crowd.
So they didn't apologise, but the vibe was an apology and that's good enough? Reminds me of the argument against a national apology pre-sorry day.

They refer to "the mistakes of the past" to distance themselves from those mistakes. They vow to learn and ensure it isn't repeated, and lo and behold the next time there's an accusation of widespread racial issues they conclude an "investigation" in which the accused don't even participate with no adverse findings.

Get out the rug and lets quickly move on.

But it says an agreement has been reached with the First Nations players.

I think you can work out the 1-2. As a whole, the AFL community are united against racism in sport, there will, however, be a couple that are a bit slow to catch on. And also, it seems a couple that want to still be angry about racism, despite clear progress having been made in the last 40 years.
I can't work out the 1-2, so if you'd care to enlighten me?

As I've been trying to work it out I came across this
The First Nations men and their families sought legal advice after an investigation by former AFL player Phil Egan, the author of the report, and were later advised to take their claims to the Human Rights Commission.

Doesn't say who advised them to take their claim to the human rights commission. Could it have been the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back