Roast AFL need to change the draft system next season for bottom four clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

How is Hawthorn an underperfoming list ?

A lot of people like myself tipped them to win yhe spoon this season after such a clean out of experienced players last year. If anything they have probably overachieved this season.
Underperforming for freo, meant improving for hawks. Point is neither of those two deserve a no1 pick ahead of WC or NM

Yep. Exactly why none of it should exist - F/S, NGA, PP - all of it.

Only time draft compromisation should occur is the introduction of a new team. Even then there should be a balanced method so clubs near the bottom aren't disadvantaged through picks or mid range clubs through loss of experienced players.

AFL like always make it up as they go along and no surprise no-one is happy.

F/S is a great tradition and likely will never be scrapped thankfully. NGA and PP yes

F/S is a great tradition and likely will never be scrapped thankfully. NGA and PP yes

Father Son will be scrapped soon I am willing to bet (within 5 years)

It's an outdated and archaic rule that doesn't happen anywhere else in the world
It's got to go.

The upcoming round is actually a perfect example of why the lottery would actually increase tanking...

GC v North
Freo v Hawthorn

There is absolutely no way North lose to Gold Coast this weekend under the current situation. GC should be paying $1.001. That's bad enough. But if you implemented a bottom 4 lottery, we would have a situation where GC would possibly tank against the bottom side, in order to stay in the bottom 4.

Freo would also tank against the Hawks, because they would be hoping to take the last spot in the bottom 4 and both matches are at exactly the same time! That's just this year as a live scenario, imagine if Hawthorn had won just one more game this season? You would have 3 teams possibly tanking, with 2 doing it against each other in the same match.

Leave it alone...

Only change I would make is that the bottom 10 teams gets 2 shots from the 2nd round before the top 8 teams

So the team that finishes
Bottom: Picks 1, 19, 29
9th: Picks 10, 28, 38
8th: Picks 11, 39, 47
Top: Picks 18, 46, 54

NBA has the draft lottery and there is more open tanking going on in that league than any other sporting league in the world. Even teams who were in contention for the play-in late in the season trade out players and try and get in the lottery.

Tanking in the AFL is overrated as many of the club changing players (Dusty, Bont, Petracca, Pendles, Selwood etc) dont go at pick 1 anyway. When Jordan McMahon kicks the goal after the siren to cost Richmond Pick 1, give Melbourne a priority pick so they had 1 and 2, it seemed a disaster. But we end up falling into Dusty.

The stupid thing is, since the draft first began 40 years ago only one player would definitely go number one in a redraft - Nick Riewoldt. There are about 4 drafts where the number one probably was the best pick, and the rest vary between good players and busts.

Remember the tanking that Carlton did for Kruzer, Gibbs and Murphy? Or Melbourne for Scully and Watts? It set their teams back a decade with the poor culture, lack of development, culling of experience and inability to attract talent on and off the field.

Any Director or CEO of a club who thinks developing a losing culture to gain some magic beans is the best way to go has not studied the last 40 years of AFL history.
The Carlton and Melbourne examples were done over seasons. It possibly would have been only 1-2 games for West Coast.

Do people really believe that this one win against WB is going to have some longstanding cultural effect?

Only change I would make is that the bottom 10 teams gets 2 shots from the 2nd round before the top 8 teams

So the team that finishes
Bottom: Picks 1, 19, 29
9th: Picks 10, 28, 38
8th: Picks 11, 39, 47
Top: Picks 18, 46, 54
That's actually a really good idea. I like it.

Clubs tank in the NBA as well to try and get into the lottery. It will happen either way. Only true way to stop tanking would be academies or back to clubs having zones

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Carlton and Melbourne examples were done over seasons. It possibly would have been only 1-2 games for West Coast.

Do people really believe that this one win against WB is going to have some longstanding cultural effect?

If Harley Reid is as good as the hype says, Eagles fans will be filthy about that win for years to come

So you are ok with tanking and fans wanting their clubs to lose?

It doesn't exist.

Trust me when I tell you, North fans would have given their left feet to have won a couple of extra games this year.
The ones who don't are misguided.

Winning culture over everything else.

And one player doesn't make that much of a difference in a sport with 18 players on the ground at one time.

It doesn't exist.

Trust me when I tell you, North fans would have given their left feet to have won a couple of extra games this year.

And one player doesn't make that much of a difference in a sport with 18 players on the ground at one time.
So it doesn't exist or it's misguided?

Won't the lottery system just risk clubs deliberately losing in the final round if doing so lands them in the bottom 4 i.e. if it means they finish 15th instead of 14th? In theory this is a bigger perverse incentive than anything currently on the table: it means a mid-table club has the chance to go into the draw for pick 1.

It doesn't exist.

It's not just Harley Reid, North Melbourne more like to get band 1 compo for Ben McKay and or a Priority Draft Pick and guaranteed to pre list Ryley Sanders as a NGA recruit.

A pointless dead rubber extra win or two is not worth the draft bounty North is going to get in the draft.

TRUST THE PROCESS

And yes, i have no doubt North Melbourne have been tanking for almost all of the season, and I got no problem with it whatsoever.

Several teams that have tanked for draft picks in the past have won flags aka Collingwood (2005), Hawthorn, Melbourne and Richmond.

At end of the day, The Eagle's fluffed their lines, North read theirs to perfection !

In the Post Season bye week play games to determine draft pick order 1 to 10

17 v 18 for pick 1 or 2 .... winner gets pick 1 and loser pick 2
15 v 16 for pick 3 or 4
13 v 14 for pick 5 or 6
11 v 12 for pick 7 or 8
9 v 10 for pick 9 or 10

The team that gets home ground advantage is the team that finishes higher on the ladder

So currently North would have to play West Coast in Perth for pick 1

This set up would take out an element of tanking ... not all but a large portion .... it would also fill an otherwise dead week in football and give some added interest to the League/Draft and another week of crowds for the AFL and clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back