Afl no longer Australia most popular sport?

Remove this Banner Ad

If the stat's in article are true rugby league is more popular then Aussie Rules had over 20m more eyeballs watching including viewers and attendance.
At any given time on average more people are watching the AFL than the Rugba Leege throughout the year. That statement is fact, how can you extrapolate from that, that Rugba Leege has more viewers?

A soccer troll in fabab and league troll in 2 eazy here I think.

On tv ratings the figures are bs anyway. Tv ratings are done on average viewers. If you have one sport goes 1.5 hours and one goes for 2.5 hours, of course the average of the one that's near half the running time looks better. It's like if you have a resturaunt, one day you open it for 1.5 hr the other day you open it for 2.5hr but count both days customers, they both come out at 75 both days. Now if you use the tv ratings model, the 1.5hr day will have a higher average customers rate than the 2.5hr day, despite having the exact same amount of customers. Its not rocket science, the tv networks know this so pay a shitload more for AFL than NRL because it likely still reaches more viewers. Other factors:

• two expansion teams in the AFL that don't rate, the AFL take the hit for growth in those areas.
  • NRL never have overlapping games, the AFL always does.
  • NRL have their games in tv ratings times, every Thursday night and 2 Friday night games, compared to most weeks, the AFL have one Friday night in the high ratings time. 1 v 3.
  • AFL attendance near doubles NRL, you can't just count them as 1 set of eyeballs in the stadium difference, if you know how tv ratings work, if I go to a game my family doesn't watch the game, if I'm home watching the game, my family will watch with, so you dial into the system 4 people watching tv, for the equivalent of one person attending the game.

Basically the tv ratings are rubbery figures and make league appear more powerful than they actually are, the tv networks and what they are willing to pay paints the true picture, they aren't idiots and have all the accurate stats on market reach.

Soccer I won't even talk about, it's played because it's safe, easy and non contact. This doesn't translate to the A league and like the Olympics, the sport slides into irrelevance for 3 out of 4 years with the Australian public.

Last edited:

both are extremely popular sports whether measured in $s, tv viewers or attendance

participation at a junior level will probably always be dwarfed by safer sports and participation by adults will always be small

at the end of the day, sport is now relegated to "content" and entertainment. so a dick pissing comp about who is more popular is kinda silly. Like wine "it isn't whether it is a good wine or great wine based on opinions or stats but whether you like it".

A soccer troll in fabab and league troll in 2 eazy here I think.

On tv ratings the figures are bs anyway. Tv ratings are done on average viewers. If you have one sport goes 1.5 hours and one goes for 2.5 hours, of course the average of the one that's near half the running time looks better. It's like if you have a resturaunt, one day you open it for 1.5 hr the other day you open it for 2.5hr but count both days customers, they both come out at 75 both days. Now if you use the tv ratings model, the 1.5hr day will have a higher average customers rate than the 2.5hr day, despite having the exact same amount of customers. Its not rocket science, the tv networks know this so pay a shitload more for AFL than NRL because it likely still reaches more viewers. Other factors:

• two expansion teams in the AFL that don't rate, the AFL take the hit for growth in those areas.
  • NRL never have overlapping games, the AFL always does.
  • NRL have their games in tv ratings times, every Thursday night and 2 Friday night games, compared to most weeks, the AFL have one Friday night in the high ratings time. 1 v 3.
  • AFL attendance near doubles NRL, you can't just count them as 1 set of eyeballs in the stadium difference, if you know how tv ratings work, if I go to a game my family doesn't watch the game, if I'm home watching the game, my family will watch with, so you dial into the system 4 people watching tv, for the equivalent of one person attending the game.

Basically the tv ratings are rubbery figures and make league appear more powerful than they actually are, the tv networks and what they are willing to pay paints the true picture, they aren't idiots and have all the accurate stats on market reach.

Soccer I won't even talk about, it's played because it's safe, easy and non contact. This doesn't translate to the A league and like the Olympics, the sport slides into irrelevance for 3 out of 4 years with the Australian public.
In both stat's nrl is on top total viewership and average per game. NRL has 20m more viewers all up and they have less games in a season. We were top rating league for last few years but nrl got us this year.

At any given time on average more people are watching the AFL than the Rugba Leege throughout the year. That statement is fact, how can you extrapolate from that, that Rugba Leege has more viewers?
NRL also has more average viewers at any one point for 2022.

my top 2 are lawn bowls and tennis has made a come back as well well in melbourne any way.

Tennis everyones hitting the courts and lawn bowls is more particated sport that i know.

These 2 sports as in playing are top 2.

i say tennis if you are fit enough and if you are not fit enough then its the bowls

Footy and cricket the traditional winter and summer sports are not popular as much i know cricket has turned alot of people off

I wonder why they might do that?
Probably to market the the game in the non-AFL states. I came to Sydney in the early 80s and all the locals I spoke to referred to the game as AFL even then - years before the AFL starting branding it as such.

Came across this article suggesting that AFL is not our most popular sport.

Thoughts?
That comment section is wild

Soccer is obviously the number 1 sport for participation because there has generally been an existing womens team in every age group aligned with boys/mens teams.

Also, and I don't care how unpopular this opinion is, it's a far easier sport to play as a junior. You need the absolute bare minimum of coordination and you're parents can sign you up to get you involved in junior sport.

It's rarely translated into the senior ranks and the sport becoming more popular on the whole however.
There are plenty of 18 year old soccer guns curious about an Aussie Rules path who can be promised the trifecta of Saturday sport (over Sunday), match payments and the community feel a local footy club provides that soccer clubs simply don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No they don't. If you look at the number of viewers across the year and measure it at regular intervals than the accumulative total for AFL is higher than NRL and not by an insignificant margin.
I did an rugby league averages roughly 56k more viewers at any given time. The points you made earlier do hold some weight however I dont think it's enough to explain the disparity in numbers over 20m.
We have to look at our own backyard with they way the game is umpired and in general the game isn't as entertaining. I mates who used to watch 4-5 games a week now watch 1-2. Hope it's wake up call and we get our act together.

Anyone who things Rugba Leege is bigger than Australian Football probably has an intelligence level of an antivaxer
AFL is more widespread for sure but NSW and QLD does make up 57% of the total population so it's not crazy to think nrl is more popular.

Footy is the best sport in the world. But it does have an issue. It doesnt have the same appeal or longevity for the grassroots player that soccer does.

Soccer is much better at accomodating for all skill levels and much less likely to encounter violence than footy.

For WAY too long footy leagues around the country have ignored the changing sentiments around violence and glorified toughness instead. Steadily people have stopped playing because getting a deliberate knee driven into your back or head because some other player is mad at you or just getting coward punched isn't worth it for a lot of people.

Country leagues can't find enough players and the fact that players can break a jaw and get six weeks is ridiculous. Start banning the thugs and players will return. Parents arent as keen on their kids playing footy as they used to be.

Anyone who things Rugba Leege is bigger than Australian Football probably has an intelligence level of an antivaxer

I do enjoy the outrage when the AFL gets 600 mill per year and NRL 400 mill per year from the leaguies, v'landy's and the nsw media though.

I don't think they ever cared to work out how ratings actually work, unlike how foxtel and 7 have.

I think it's something to grasp onto as the only metric that competes, but I ask you this, if Gill came out tomorrow and said
'right we are going to now play all AFL games as only two 40 minute halves, all games will be broadcast standalone, more games will be in primetime and we'll cap attendances for every game at 15k' would the NRL even come close ratings wise? I doubt it.

I did an rugby league averages roughly 56k more viewers at any given time. The points you made earlier do hold some weight however I dont think it's enough to explain the disparity in numbers over 20m.
We have to look at our own backyard with they way the game is umpired and in general the game isn't as entertaining. I mates who used to watch 4-5 games a week now watch 1-2. Hope it's wake up call and we get our act together.
even by your own numbers that's not true.

I did the maths and if you average the viewers across the whole year at regular intervals there are 31.1K watching the NRL and 43.3K are watching the AFL. Remember AFL is televised for 621 and NRL for 402 hours of the 8760 hours in the year

Probably to market the the game in the non-AFL states. I came to Sydney in the early 80s and all the locals I spoke to referred to the game as AFL even then - years before the AFL starting branding it as such.
Wow, given it did not become the AFL until the 1990s that is amazing.

AFL is more widespread for sure but NSW and QLD does make up 57% of the total population so it's not crazy to think nrl is more popular.
It doesn't make up that much of the population even including the ACT.

If AFL in it's heartland states equalled 10 for arguments sake then NRL would be lucky to be 7 in it's heartland states. it doesn't compete. It would be 2:1 at least in AFLs favour outside it's heartland states.

Last edited:
Wow, given it did not become the AFL until the 1990s that is amazing.
Point taken. Correction, VFL.

I remember it vividly, as I was constantly trying to explain to them that VFL was the league and Australian Rules Football was the game. In the end, I gave up.

Well that's not true

Remove this Banner Ad

Back