Players weights to no longer be disclosed

Remove this Banner Ad

Laugh away if you want. Its your life.

Of course its irrelevant.

Ever play a hard game of footy? You should lose at least a kilo or two if you tried hard enough. I lost 3 kg at a Ministry gig once and it only lasted an hour.

The only way weight would be relevant is if every player weighed in before games like a boxer. But it, like other data, should be kept secret if clubs want to because its their business not everyone else's.

One final point that you probably don't understand - opposite ideas can both be correct. It seems counter intuitive but only cos you were never taught to think properly. People who can't cope with that concept don't really have minds capable of dealing with reality (yet - everyone can learn and improve, so get to it. )
You seem to have absolutely no idea what people do with this stat

It's used pretty much for one reason only... to form an opinion of the body type of the player, usually a rookie, before laying eyes on him

That's it

Nothing else

"Well why can't you wait to see him?" clever dudes like you ask

Well there are many reasons why you just might want to know that right now, and the easiest way to do that is to check their declared weight rather than fly around the country watching teams train

Really couldn't care if it's accurate or not, ball park weight is fine

And if you think weight doesn't matter well I'm tipping you've never played a hard game of football

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Weight has very little to do with strength, size, and power.

I weigh more than plenty of AFL footballers, and I'd bet they'd destroy me contests.

Weight, in isolation, means fu**all.

As for your last comment, I'm not sure of the point or relevance?

I'm not arguing to keep it, or get rid of it. I can't think of a reason to get rid of it. But I don't see it as any sort of loss to not have it. It's a useless stat, that in isolation (which is how it is presented) is irrelevant.

The reason I listed to keep it, is invalid the moment the guy walks into the club - because you can see him. It gives some insight before you see them, as you'll generally know if they're big or small. But in isolation, again, it offers very little. You don't know if they're short and fat, tall and skinny, or muscular. Do they have a big upper body and tiny legs, or massive legs and chicken wing arms.

Once they set foot on the field, you can see for this for yourself. Their weight offers no insight.
"Weight has very little to do with strength, size, and power" - overall wrong, extremely wrong with the "size" comment.

"I weigh more than plenty of AFL footballers, and I'd bet they'd destroy me contests." - because they're elite athletes, pin elite athletes against each other and it's a completely different story.

"Weight, in isolation, means fu**all." - you can say that about any stat.

you clearly don't understand physiology and statistics. on top of that you're contiuing to defend the 'eye sight test' over actual data. i'm not bothering replying to your ignorance on the subjects.

AFL: [changes something on their website]

Bigfooty:

heath ledger joker GIF

"Weight has very little to do with strength, size, and power" - overall wrong, extremely wrong with the "size" comment.

"I weigh more than plenty of AFL footballers, and I'd bet they'd destroy me contests." - because they're elite athletes, pin elite athletes against each other and it's a completely different story.

"Weight, in isolation, means fu**all." - you can say that about any stat.

you clearly don't understand physiology and statistics. on top of that you're contiuing to defend the 'eye sight test' over actual data. i'm not bothering replying to your ignorance on the subjects.
So how do you think that Floyd Mayweather would get on against Tyson Fury as in your words, " Weight has very little to do with strength, size and power"?

So how do you think that Floyd Mayweather would get on against Tyson Fury as in your words, " Weight has very little to do with strength, size and power"?
In an AFL footy context, weight has very little to do with it.

In combat sports however, it's a pretty big factor due to weight being used to generate power in a punching/striking action. But even so, a heavy fat man will usually have much less power than a smaller, lighter man with a powerful core. And having said all that - weight in isolation, even in combat sports, still comes in 2nd behind technique when it comes to power striking.

In AFL footy, you don't punch or strike anyone. The actions in AFL footy where power and strength are factors are kicking long distances, marking contests and one on one contests.

Guys like Robbie Gray, Dustin Martin and Dangerfield dominate one on one marking contests against heavier men. Balance, technique, core strength and experience are far, far more relevant than their weight.

A guy like Short from Richmond for example, generates far more power in his kicking than heavier guys. Weight has very little bearing on power and strength in the physical actions required to play AFL footy.

Seen the one where little Giansiracusa knocked out Kosi? According to the stats, he was 16kgs lighter.

Or when little Jaryd Harbrow at 73kgs (does anyone really think he actually weighed 73kgs after 14 AFL seasons FFS??!) polaxed Jordan Lewis who was 13kgs heavier than him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seen the one where little Giansiracusa knocked out Kosi? According to the stats, he was 16kgs lighter.

Or when little Jaryd Harbrow at 73kgs (does anyone really think he actually weighed 73kgs after 14 AFL seasons FFS??!) polaxed Jordan Lewis who was 13kgs heavier than him?

Lol quite possibly two of the worst examples you could come up with for making any sort of point. No wonder I had this account blocked previously

Lol quite possibly two of the worst examples you could come up with for making any sort of point. No wonder I had this account blocked previously
What about midfielder Fraser Brown on key defender Dean Wallis?

Or Lenny Hayes taking down the heavier Easton Wood front on at full pace?

There are literally hundreds examples of lighter guys beating heavier guys in all sorts of contests.

What about Charlie Cameron beating Maynard in marking contests?

What about midfielder Fraser Brown on key defender Dean Wallis?

Or Lenny Hayes taking down the heavier Easton Wood front on at full pace?

There are literally hundreds examples of lighter guys beating heavier guys in all sorts of contests.

What about Charlie Cameron beating Maynard in marking contests?
and there are literally thousands of examples that of heavier guys beating lighter guys.

So bit of a serious question: Does anyone know if the weights of players are disclosed to other clubs and coaching staff?

I ask because if determining a match up its a massive consideration, particularly with talls, and I honestly have no idea given the general outrage with which people have approached this decision.

Just for the record also I'm happy to disclose I'm a 6'8 lean cut 90kg keyboard warrior.......... Your turn next lurking AFL player if you're not too sensitive!

So bit of a serious question: Does anyone know if the weights of players are disclosed to other clubs and coaching staff?

I ask because if determining a match up its a massive consideration, particularly with talls, and I honestly have no idea given the general outrage with which people have approached this decision.

Just for the record also I'm happy to disclose I'm a 6'8 lean cut 90kg keyboard warrior.......... Your turn next lurking AFL player if you're not too sensitive!
Yeah, me too!

wrestlemania xi wrestling GIF by WWE

The issue isn't the stat, which is a borderline flavour stat. I guess eye colour is relevant...sort...blue eyed players might have more trouble seeing the ball on a reeeeeaally sunny day...

There might be a general interest for scouting, eg when Buckley dropped 5 kg one season (2002? I forget) and went for a leaner running build after Woedwodin's fitness regime jagged him a Brownlow.

Its unlikely there are accurate weight stats available, and while players are likely weighed before and after training, median and peak weights recorded etc for strength and conditioning purposes I'm pretty sure o coach has ever decided on a match up, then noticed the AFL listed weights and gone "whoa, no way". They're simply not accurate enough, and used to stay the same in the footy record for years on end.

Clubs won't be handing over useful IP and scouts/analysts/coaches can make a judgement about a players overall physique by eye more accurately than by the footy record.

The AFL no longer reporting weights is really a non issue.

I notice the Age had an article about how the decision was related to Bulimia, which is a serious illness for a lot of kids. Really not sure if this is part of the reasoning? The AFL pays lip service to good causes because they like to appear caring, the decision might be made cynically but the issue is a sensitive one, so perhaps this thread is about trolling people with mental illness?

I had thought it was faux outrage "wokesters are castrating our children with vaccines" type wittering. Nothing wrong with poking a bit of fun at the morally outraged right or left, get your laughs where you can, but if its about shaming people who vomit compulsively that'd be a bit less funny.

The data is still available on the afl app
It’s just not getting published in the season guide/record magazine
I can’t believe how gullible people are for taking Kane’s bait

“Kane Cornes has rubbished the AFL after player weights were scrapped from the official 2024 season guide.

The numbers remain on club websites”

All players should get weighed at start of round 1 by the AFL. Then the stats are accurate and any ‘fat club’ players have had time to get in shape. That would be the approach of a professional sport.

Win-win!

Players happy,
Supporters who like to know player weights are happy,
Supporters who don’t care about player weights don’t care anyway.

All players should get weighed at start of round 1 by the AFL. Then the stats are accurate and any ‘fat club’ players have had time to get in shape. That would be the approach of a professional sport.

Win-win!

Players happy,
Supporters who like to know player weights are happy,
Supporters who don’t care about player weights don’t care anyway.
But their weight doesn't indicate that they are fat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back