Players weights to no longer be disclosed

Remove this Banner Ad

No. There is no reason to fret. It was a non stat.

Did you see the "captains rank their heights" video the AFL put out? Most of the captains did not know any of one another's height (Moore and Witts are former team mates), they had a rough idea. Knowing player's exact heights isn't necessary to PLAY AFL, let alone watch it.

Weight is even fuzzier. Player's weight bounces around in the course of a day, week, month and season. Given the variety of builds it tells a viewer very little about a player's fitness.

This is in my view a meaningless debate about a fringe to irrelevant stat, the sort of thing our US mates love, and gamblers use to convince themselves they're smart as the get milked by the bookies.

Are people upset because they want see little boxes on the screen with little numbers and animations like in the US? Maybe stick to joke sports like boxing NBA and NFL.

It's literally a stat...

If everyone has a rough idea of height and weight then why are you so concerned about the exact measurement being released? It's better to be exact than an estimate.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Attachments

• 1705379895489.png
    1705379895489.png
    168 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
It's literally a stat...

If everyone has a rough idea of height and weight then why are you so concerned about the exact measurement being released? It's better to be exact than an estimate.View attachment 1887409

I am not concerned. Don't project your "frustration" onto me sonny. You're weepily carping about nothing.

You want an exact stat? Tate brand colon implants (match with Tate brand mouth inserts) will measure a player's concumption and excretion and will give up to the minute weight measurements linked by Bluetooth to your wifi. For $9.99 a month you can join tateinyourcolon.com and see how much you and your friends are excreting, and compare with the stars whose weight you are (not creepily) interested in.

I haven't read a decent one though.

To be honest, I don't see a decent reason to remove them either though.

But surely a player's weight, which has been taken at some mystery point in time, and is not regularly updated, is one of the most useless nuggets of information there is.

Being 10kgs heavier than someone else doesn't make you stronger, doesn't make you slower, and doesn't make you better or worse. It offers no insight into a player's strength in a contest, or any other aspect of playing footy.

Aside from the obvious fact that it's not accurate, it offers absolutely zero in terms of insight in a footballing sense.

it does determine stength though....if 2 players have the same abilities in the contest or in a one on one marking contest and one of the players is 10kg lighter, they're stronger per kg of weight and have a higher strength ceiling.

if 2 players have the same endurance running capacity and one is 10kg heavier, the heavier one has a higher running capcity ceiling.

etc. etc.

It's literally a stat...

If everyone has a rough idea of height and weight then why are you so concerned about the exact measurement being released? It's better to be exact than an estimate.

It was a pretty useless stat, most of the weights weren't anywhere near accurate enough or updated enough to be of any relevance.

Hell height measurements varies from year to year for players.

Compared to the NFL or NBA we just don't get anything close to reliable measurements to really think about them.

I am not concerned. Don't project your "frustration" onto me sonny. You're weepily carping about nothing.

You want an exact stat? Tate brand colon implants (match with Tate brand mouth inserts) will measure a player's concumption and excretion and will give up to the minute weight measurements linked by Bluetooth to your wifi. For $9.99 a month you can join tateinyourcolon.com and see how much you and your friends are excreting, and compare with the stars whose weight you are (not creepily) interested in.
if you can't think of a rebuttal just stay silent, no need for the unreadable gen z terms.

It was a pretty useless stat, most of the weights weren't anywhere near accurate enough or updated enough to be of any relevance.

Hell height measurements varies from year to year for players.

Compared to the NFL or NBA we just don't get anything close to reliable measurements to really think about them.
they're more accurate than guessing...

yes, some players grow in height....

they're more accurate than guessing...

yes, some players grow in height....

The height doesn't always fluctuate up.... Jayden Laverde grows and shrinks every season or two.

Are they more accurate than guessing though?

The old rule of them is height in cm - 100 = approximate playing weight. Some players are obviously heavy for their height (Hawkins, Wines, Neale) whilst some would be light for their height (Whitfield, Cameron, pretty much any young ruckman). If you start from there you'll get a pretty good approximation of weight anyway.

According to their official team stats Max Gawn and Jarrod Witts are the exact same height and weight;

iu

iu

it does determine stength though....if 2 players have the same abilities in the contest or in a one on one marking contest and one of the players is 10kg lighter, they're stronger per kg of weight and have a higher strength ceiling.

if 2 players have the same endurance running capacity and one is 10kg heavier, the heavier one has a higher running capcity ceiling.

etc. etc.

My dad is heavier than me, and I could beat him in a marking contest or a one on one contest. Easily.

As I said prior, weight is about 5th or 6th in line in terms of importance in marking contests and/or one on one contests.

Yes so distant behind the other factors that it's virtually irrelevant.

I saw Peter Daicos outmark Danny Frawley one on one about 5 times once in a game out at Waverley.

More recently, that medium defender from St Kilda led the comp for winning 'one on ones' didn't he?

The height doesn't always fluctuate up.... Jayden Laverde grows and shrinks every season or two.

The old rule of them is height in cm - 100 = approximate playing weight. Some players are obviously heavy for their height (Hawkins, Wines, Neale) whilst some would be light for their height (Whitfield, Cameron, pretty much any young ruckman). If you start from there you'll get a pretty good approximation of weight anyway.

According to their official team stats Max Gawn and Jarrod Witts are the exact same height and weight;

iu

iu

Jayden Laverde grows and shrinks by how much? 1 cm or 2cm? it's more accurate than just guessing.

if the old height - 100 = weight is roughly correct, then just publish the weight.

having low expectations of the AFL's data isn't a reason to scrap the data.

Jayden Laverde grows and shrinks by how much? 1 cm or 2cm? it's more accurate than just guessing.

if the old height - 100 = weight is roughly correct, then just publish the weight.

having low expectations of the AFL's data isn't a reason to scrap the data.

Feels like a storm in a teacup to me. Weight fluctuates even more than Jayden Laverde's height does.

Knowing a players weight has offered pretty much nothing to my football experience. Not knowing it will remove about the same as it's given.

I suspect you'll find a similar outcome to your football experience.

if you can't think of a rebuttal just stay silent, no need for the unreadable gen z terms.
There still have been no rebuttals, no evidence of ongoing harm, just a bunch of sad numerophobes acting out and scoldily trying to tell us what we should and shouldn't be interested in and how to consume football, I've never seen a collective meltdown like it, and meanwhile you can still get weights off the AFL website so all good

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kornes just said that AFL are banning the disclosure of players weights.

So commentators or spectators will no longer be able to tell the difference in weight between say a Jefferson and a Curnow anymore.

Would AFL be the first sport globally to come up with this soft s**t?
History tells me that the AFL are expecting some news on a player or players weight that don't suit their agenda.
Something to hide AFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

iu

iu
Forget about weight, what LENGTH is Max referring to there?

Feels like a storm in a teacup to me. Weight fluctuates even more than Jayden Laverde's height does.

Knowing a players weight has offered pretty much nothing to my football experience. Not knowing it will remove about the same as it's given.

not really, because i have basic common sense that enables me to know that someones weight is important in a contact sport.

why do you think they have weight classes in fighting...

There still have been no rebuttals, no evidence of ongoing harm, just a bunch of sad numerophobes acting out and scoldily trying to tell us what we should and shouldn't be interested in and how to consume football, I've never seen a collective meltdown like it, and meanwhile you can still get weights off the AFL website so all good

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app
pissing on my black kettle much, you're melting down in support of not disclosing player weights.

yes, some people like to be in the ball park of a players metrics in a contact sport istead of guesstimating.

and...? it's a contact sport! the same princples apply with other types of contact.

So you can punch someone in the face in AFL footy?

Don't confuse combat sports with contact sports.

Basketball is a contact sport. Do you reckon anyone cares whether Ja Morant weighs more than Draymond Green? It's irrelevant.

Last edited:

You could do away with most of the thousands of stats available and it wouldn't make any noticeable difference. That doesn't mean it's the correct way to go

History tells me that the AFL are expecting some news on a player or players weight that don't suit their agenda.
Something to hide AFL?
Could potentially be a now former AFLW player not happy with past commentary and now seeks a financial settlement?

Your handlers need to cut your internet time in half, what an absolute waffling load of shite that post is. I'm begging you to get off USA political twitter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back