Players weights to no longer be disclosed

Remove this Banner Ad

Well . . . that is the second time you have mentioned pictures of feet, fetish for you or something?
No thank you. I don't judge, and I respect your choices.

Also, I don't "suddenly accept this", I always knew it was rubbish. If you've ever met players IRL you notice over time their weight changed, but the stat in the footy record didn't.

It was always bulldust.

6 years ago he would have weighed in at 68kg.

Seriously, you tried telling me Hawkins was not 105kg when he most certainly is.
Hawkins' left leg would weigh 105kgs.

I was in LA last month watching the Warriors. And if anyone believes that Steph Curry weighs 84kgs then they are either blind, or a fool.

Have you ever wondered how Devon Booker could weighbthe same as Jrue Holliday?

Aside from combat sports, player weights have never been accurately reported and maintained.

As I said earlier, if AFL players lose 5kgs during a game, how relevant is their weight in January?? Even if clubs did provide accurate weights in January - WTF does that matter in July?

I reckon 'Disposals' is one of the most irrelevant stat in footy - but player 'Weight' is easily the most irrelevant. Even if it was accurate (which is clearly isn't), it offers no insight or value at all.

I am already finding this pretty annoying not seeing player weights listed next to their height.

It's harder to analyse team lists and disrespectful to the punters who like to analyse the game

Dare I say it this was a dumb 'woke' initiative that detracts from the game
You can say what you like but you'll have to describe exactly what you mean by 'woke' because it gets horrible misused these days and is often just meaningless.

Also, at least you're not now analysing the game based on incorrect information, as was often the case previously with player's weights.

You can say what you like but you'll have to describe exactly what you mean by 'woke' because it gets horrible misused these days and is often just meaningless.

Also, at least you're not now analysing the game based on incorrect information, as was often the case previously with player's weights.
I don't know I'm just stirring s*** with that but the point stands the weights at least give you a bit more of an idea about the type of player you're looking at.

The weights should be done correctly then. That doesn't detract from my point.

I don't know I'm just stirring s*** with that but the point stands the weights at least give you a bit more of an idea about the type of player you're looking at.

The weights should be done correctly then. That doesn't detract from my point.
It kinda does when you think of how much of a pain in the arse it would be for the AFL to have to go around ensuring player's listed weights were correct. I reckon they've got better things to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think everyone of relatively sane mind knows that player's weights are not only irrelevant to anything football related - they're also rarely if ever updated.

So not only are they irrelevant to anything to do with football as a stat in isolation - even if they were relevant, they are not accurate in the Football Record or any other data repository that fans have access to anyway. They never have been.

Sorry if you're dim enough to think that Tom Hawkins still weighs 105kgs, or that the Bont weighs 2kgs more than Christian Petracca, or that Max King has only gained 4 kgs in the past 3 years - but you've been wasting your time all these years trawling through the Player's Weight stat. They were always meaingless.

Has Hawkins gone past 105kg now?

It kinda does when you think of how much of a pain in the arse it would be for the AFL to have to go around ensuring player's listed weights were correct. I reckon they've got better things to do.
Huh? There's a day late in each preseason where each club measures their players weights and heights. These stats are then updated across the AFL media before season begins. This hasn't changed. They are still taking weight measurements, they are just no longer revealing them to the public.

This started in the women's competition back in 2017 and then migrated to the mens league when the AFL banned skin fold measurements of prospective draftees in an effort to protect their "mental health". This whole saga is ridiculous and is no doubt coming off the back of the whole 'fat acceptance' movement of recent times.

In my view height is a much more touchy subject with men, particularly in the context of women's preference of height in men. Not only that, but the AFL systematically discriminate based on height. If this is true, and it is also true that publishing player weights is problematic, then how can the AFL justify publishing player heights? Maybe Caleb Daniel doesn't want everyone knowing he's the shortest player in the league. Maybe he doesn't like how often his height is mentioned by commentators and footy fans. For the sake of him or any other player that may feel that way, height should also cease to be published. This is the kind of stupid jump in logic that can be made in relation to this weight issue because it isn't a jump at all.

This was a woke decision the AFL made because it serves no real purpose and it will not change anything for the better but it was made to appease the tiny fraction of players who may have an issue with it and (most importantly) to make the league appear righteous and progressive publicly.

You may not care and I'm sure most people don't. But for me, this has just taken away another small part of the game I enjoyed. I've always been interested in the weight and height of players and how that relates to their position and performance. for several years I did a post on our board in preseason looking at how these stats had changed year on year for our younger players and what it might mean for their season ahead. like r_boy mentioned, weight is important for player match ups and position. Just a couple of things we can no longer look into.

Anyway, excuse me for hitting you with this rant but I had to get it out.

What take an accurate weight once a season.

You think that's asking too much in elite sport?
No of course not, but having someone ensure that the published weights are accurate and up to date would be a waste of resources imo. Maybe they should just invent some weights for everyone to keep the whingers happy. How is anyone going to know the difference?

Huh? There's a day late in each preseason where each club measures their players weights and heights. These stats are then updated across the AFL media before season begins. This hasn't changed. They are still taking weight measurements, they are just no longer revealing them to the public.

This started in the women's competition back in 2017 and then migrated to the mens league when the AFL banned skin fold measurements of prospective draftees in an effort to protect their "mental health". This whole saga is ridiculous and is no doubt coming off the back of the whole 'fat acceptance' movement of recent times.

In my view height is a much more touchy subject with men, particularly in the context of women's preference of height in men. Not only that, but the AFL systematically discriminate based on height. If this is true, and it is also true that publishing player weights is problematic, then how can the AFL justify publishing player heights? Maybe Caleb Daniel doesn't want everyone knowing he's the shortest player in the league. Maybe he doesn't like how often his height is mentioned by commentators and footy fans. For the sake of him or any other player that may feel that way, height should also cease to be published. This is the kind of stupid jump in logic that can be made in relation to this weight issue because it isn't a jump at all.

This was a woke decision the AFL made because it serves no real purpose and it will not change anything for the better but it was made to appease the tiny fraction of players who may have an issue with it and (most importantly) to make the league appear righteous and progressive publicly.

You may not care and I'm sure most people don't. But for me, this has just taken away another small part of the game I enjoyed. I've always been interested in the weight and height of players and how that relates to their position and performance. for several years I did a post on our board in preseason looking at how these stats had changed year on year for our younger players and what it might mean for their season ahead. like r_boy mentioned, weight is important for player match ups and position. Just a couple of things we can no longer look into.

Anyway, excuse me for hitting you with this rant but I had to get it out.
Firstly, can you please explain what you mean by 'woke decision by the AFL', because people tend to use that word to mean anything they don't like that they can't be bothered explaining.

Also, players have stated that their weight as listed has gone years without being updated, so they were never fully accurate to begin with. As for your point about height, well you called it a stupid leap in logic so we are at least in agreement about that.

All posters on Big Footy need to disclose their weight.
View attachment 1928687
And species…..

Work From Home Dog GIF
Cat Working GIF
Computer Working GIF
Working Kermit The Frog GIF

If weight is considered a measurement to indicate a players body type and strength

What if we changed the measurement from “weight” to “bench press”?

We know that clubs update that regularly. That would be more interesting, and far more insightful on a player.

I am already finding this pretty annoying not seeing player weights listed next to their height.

It's harder to analyse team lists and disrespectful to the punters who like to analyse the game

Dare I say it this was a dumb 'woke' initiative that detracts from the game
Agree, perfect example is prior to the Carlton game, I wanted to get a sense of how much height and weight Gibcus and Young were giving away to Curnow and Mackay.

Sure you can guess with your eyes on gameday but it's not the same.

So what would the impact be again if there weights were listed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back