AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Most Union fans in Australia also support league. Outside of the South Africans and Frechies
Can sort of confirm about the South Africans. We have several in our family group. A common comment from them was "Never heard of Rugby League until arriving in Australia. A small sample we know but there it is.

I feel like almost all of the problems of both rugbies would be solved if they somehow merged back into the same game again. The money and international competition of union with the club competition and support base of league combined would make it a serious threat to Aussie Rules. Thankfully, that'll never happen.

Na Seedsfan said it wasn’t happening. I got my fundings crossed. I only just found that to back up what I was saying. However radio and press in Brisbane has been constant and adamant that it is gathering the most momentum. Including the link with the NS Bears.
PNG is third world country and Port Moresby is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Do you really think that 50 players/coaches/administrators are going to move there with their families?

Albo suggested that his government would support this financially, but that was simply a statement of goodwill. No one actually thinks that this bid will ever happen. Everything about it is not viable.

PNG is third world country and Port Moresby is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Do you really think that 50 players/coaches/administrators are going to move there with their families?

Albo suggested that his government would support this financially, but that was simply a statement of goodwill. No one actually thinks that this bid will ever happen. Everything about it is not viable.
Also need bipartisan support. Otherwise they are out of the comp as soon as government changes hands

Most Union fans in Australia also support league.

They tend to follow one or the other , usually RU first and RU has a team.
The conditions have changed - the big influx of "Eastern-staters" has gone.
Those that have remained, well, their kids would have little interest.

Outside of the South Africans and Frechies

And Australians.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the topic of RU - SA should also get a Super Rugby team. Bring on the Black Falcons
You're the first person I've ever seen suggest South Australia should get a Super Rugby team. Just because you can take your game national, doesn't mean you should. There's a reason the NRL don't currently have teams in SA or WA.

On topic. The main concern for the AFL right now would be the Suns seemingly still being uncompetitive while the NRL has introduced a new expansion team in south east Queensland that appears to be an instant success. You need successful franchises if you want to compete in emerging markets, that's growth logic 101.

Just under 4 million people live in SEQ these days and it's growing very quickly so this is a market the AFL would be taking very seriously moving forward. Plus, Queensland is going to overtake Victoria in terms of population at some point over the next two decades and the AFL rightly wants a nicely portioned piece of the pie.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the AFL step in soon and instil a proven premiership winning coach ala Leigh Matthew with Brisbane in 1998 and Ron Barassi in 1993. They're losing too much ground to the NRL to not be having these discussions. Damien Hardwick and/or Chris Scott look like prime candidates if things don't improve for Richmond/Geelong this season.

On the topic of RU - SA should also get a Super Rugby team. Bring on the Black Falcons

They SHOULD have had one back in 2003 when the ARU was flush with money from the world cup. And it should have gone hand in hand with a full fledged Australian Rugby Union comp along the lines of Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, 2 x NSW, 2x QLD and an ACT side. Hitching themselves to Super Rugby has done them no favours locally.

Im still amazed that the NRL didnt approach Forrest and take the Force to Rugby league when they got booted from Super Rugby.

Now the ARU simply cant afford it and their fortunes are tied to private investment and at the mercy of NZ.

They SHOULD have had one back in 2003 when the ARU was flush with money from the world cup. And it should have gone hand in hand with a full fledged Australian Rugby Union comp along the lines of Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, 2 x NSW, 2x QLD and an ACT side. Hitching themselves to Super Rugby has done them no favours locally.

Im still amazed that the NRL didnt approach Forrest and take the Force to Rugby league when they got booted from Super Rugby.

Now the ARU simply cant afford it and their fortunes are tied to private investment and at the mercy of NZ.
Even then they couldn’t afford it. Also before the GFC the income the comp got from the TV rights in South Africa was huge

You're the first person I've ever seen suggest South Australia should get a Super Rugby team. Just because you can take your game national, doesn't mean you should. There's a reason the NRL don't currently have teams in SA or WA.

On topic. The main concern for the AFL right now would be the Suns seemingly still being uncompetitive while the NRL has introduced a new expansion team in south east Queensland that appears to be an instant success. You need successful franchises if you want to compete in emerging markets, that's growth logic 101.

Just under 4 million people live in SEQ these days and it's growing very quickly so this is a market the AFL would be taking very seriously moving forward. Plus, Queensland is going to overtake Victoria in terms of population at some point over the next two decades and the AFL rightly wants a nicely portioned piece of the pie.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the AFL step in soon and instil a proven premiership winning coach ala Leigh Matthew with Brisbane in 1998 and Ron Barassi in 1993. They're losing too much ground to the NRL to not be having these discussions. Damien Hardwick and/or Chris Scott look like prime candidates if things don't improve for Richmond/Geelong this season.
Victoria is actually growing at a faster rate than either NSW or Qld - which is no longer expected to overtake Vic at any stage in the future. If anything, Vic will pass NSW one day.

From this month’s financial review…

NSW’s population was 8.1 million on June 30, 2021, and will rise to 9.1 million by 2032-33; over the same period Victoria will increase from 6.5 million to 7.8 million, while Queensland will grow from 5.2 million to 6.1 million.

Victoria is actually growing at a faster rate than either NSW or Qld - which is no longer expected to overtake Vic at any stage in the future. If anything, Vic will pass NSW one day.

From this month’s financial review…

NSW’s population was 8.1 million on June 30, 2021, and will rise to 9.1 million by 2032-33; over the same period Victoria will increase from 6.5 million to 7.8 million, while Queensland will grow from 5.2 million to 6.1 million.

Melbourne passed Sydney as the biggest city a couple of days ago, because Melton was newly included as now a part of Melbourne.

Melton? Really? That is just moving statistics around. Moving boundaries distorts actual population trends.

I think it was a national body not Victorian that made this decision. Thinking of it logically, a city probably finishes as soon as you have got houses ending and farmland beginning in any direction. Or where the train stations end on the metro line.

Central Coast is part of Sydney. It wouldn’t surprise me if Geelong is included in Melbourne in the next 15 years.

Greater suburban area

Last edited:
Dolphins hype has faded a bit now they are losing games. 20 years from now there'll be enough population for a second brisbane team. Would prefer to see Canberra first.

Dolphins hype has faded a bit now they are losing games. 20 years from now there'll be enough population for a second brisbane team. Would prefer to see Canberra first.

I don't think you can call an expansion side a success until a few years in, when the novelty wears off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back