Preview AFL Round 4 - Geelong v West Coast, Simonds Stadium, 7:40PM Saturday 12 April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given it is true Enright is over his injury - this is the team I expected. Whether Brown was dropped or injured I am not sure. But this team looks about right.

Yes Bartel will also play CHF as we rotate some players thru this position but Blitz will get his turn as the named CHF. If its not a marking day all we really need at CHF is tall, strong, big bodied contester who will not be out marked and brings the ball to ground.

I preferred Walker to Brown before the season started when Vardy went down. Only because both Brown and Walker will only ever be so-so CHFs this season. They are both inexperienced and lack a few things to be decent CHFs. But I wanted a contest at CHF - where the CHB does not out mark the CHF - that ball went to ground. And someone who could run most of the day led up and then back and then again. A bigger more aggressive body. Walker for me fills that bill better than Brown.

Brown is a better kick and so could be more damaging with his possessions so he was worthy of a trail. But people expect too much of both players IMO. There are arguments for either to be trialled out at CHF. In fact I expect Brown to come back into the team. But this wet weekend we have to go a bit smaller and I reckon Brown was likely to be rested and Blitz play CHF.

I will be interested if Blitz can be a decent contesting player at CHF . He has a lot to learn but he may just be a good contesting player as Brown in the conditions and take a few of the throw ins in the forward line as well. This will allow us to set up better if the ball comes out.

We cannot go in too tall and need quite a few nippy players around the ball drop. THunt will be ok as at least he will be runner and another hard body around the contest. Enright back should help sure up our current weakness - the small opposition forward who gets of the leash and kicks a few goals.

We just need to win and walk away 4-0 and get no injuries or suspensions. If we can get a semi decent CHF and Motlop and Bundy back in the team - we look ok on paper to me. The back end of the season was always looking better than our first part of the season.

As the injuries we have slowly pass we gain depth and some younger guys get some decent experience at senior level. A taste of what could be if they work hard enough and re good enough. Then we become a much more dangerous side.

PS. Hope GHS has a good one as Caddy has been down a bit and if he could become a genuine hard inside mid with Selwood and Caddy - we have a half decent midfield.

Can someone please fill in this for me. Size for size.
Leave pocket and flanks

GEE FB: Rivers - Lonergan - Pocket
WCE FF: ????? - ??????? - Pocket
HB: Flank - Taylor - Flank
WCE HF: Flank - ??????? - Flank

Then you could add Mackie.
Does one team have an extra tall?
WC B Butler brown bennell
Hb ellis mckenzie schofield
Hf: darling kennedy yeo
F: cripps naitanui hill
Plus cox or lycett when not rucking
Hf: kennedy

They are quite tall,3 rucks and good tall forwards

It's a more complicated dynamic that that though, surely.

For example, if no defender follows him then he will be open for his team-mates. If they use him then he becomes dangerous.

This assumes of course, that runs to within range of the kicker which shouldn't be too hard to get right most of the time. I think he is a bright guy and will be able to learn decent running patterns without too much concern.

No not really. Blitz gos out and takes marks , becomes involves with goal chains and he will demand respect. Run around with any effective play and a good defend will play as the sweeper. Imagine Scarlett on him , no way he would be draw up to the wing without Scarlo wanting to go there

So the question remains over Enright. If he doesn't play then Walker must surely get a gig as the CHF. Surprised to see Brown has an injury, I guess that puts all the angst of this afternoon on the forum to rest. :p

In the wet bartel is the perfect chf,dont think we need walker

Cannot see Walker playing. We do not need another tall - and an inexperienced one in the wet. They will use Blitz and Bartel at CHF - alternating - is my best guess.

Of course, you are right. As always.
Saying a player has a tiny percentage of the talent of another, fairly modestly talented, player is actually a ringing endorsement.

Nice effort at completely changing the argument. As you've already forgotten, here's what I wrote:

You find me a single post where I've said Walker definitely will not make it, or is a list clogger, or is a hack or a spud.

Still waiting...what you put up doesn't come close.

Nice bit of humour not eagles board

I think there is too much pessimism here. Time for a little positivity....I am absolutely positive that with these changes we are in for the mother of all hidings.

... and take a few of the throw ins in the forward line as well. This will allow us to set up better if the ball comes out.

good point.

It's a more complicated dynamic that that though, surely.

For example, if no defender follows him then he will be open for his team-mates. If they use him then he becomes dangerous.

This assumes of course, that runs to within range of the kicker which shouldn't be too hard to get right most of the time. I think he is a bright guy and will be able to learn decent running patterns without too much concern.

it's an interesting argument; you're right, if he does the hard running and gets loose then we've got to actually recognize that and use him (if he's in a useful position) - either way, it'll be a steep learning curve for him.

good point.

it's an interesting argument; you're right, if he does the hard running and gets loose then we've got to actually recognize that and use him (if he's in a useful position) - either way, it'll be a steep learning curve for him.
It's probably more wishful thinking on my part, but I have recently noticed a real improvement in his marking.
If he can add set shot kicking to his list of competencies then he will definitely give us an option forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whether the they like it or not doesn't change the fact, Blitz is as hard as a cats head. He's bigger this year and was thrown some pretty big assignments last year, I reckon he'll be up for the fight.

really hope he gets reward for effort this week. His kicking technique is almost spot on and he could be one of those blokes just needs to nail the first 3-4 shots and his confidence begins to sky rocket whenever he starts marking infront of goal.
He certainly doesn't stop working out there and is also starting to take one grabs marks, clunking them like Taylor does instead of 1, 2, 3 bites of the cherry as he was doing last season.

Yeah what Ammo said and we flogged the last West Australian side to come here,oops!:oops:
Wasn't it a great win. 11.19 to 7.2. Gotta love the home and away season:p

To be serious. Anything can happen in a two horse race as we nearly found out to our cost against Brisbane. However, as I suggested you'd think with the conditions in our favour and with the Weagles being understrength and playing at SS for the first time in yonks we should get the choccies.

Wasn't it a great win. 11.19 to 7.2. Gotta love the home and away season:p

To be serious. Anything can happen in a two horse race as we nearly found out to our cost against Brisbane. However, as I suggested you'd think with the conditions in our favour and with the Weagles being understrength and playing at SS for the first time in yonks we should get the choccies.
I think I read yesterday that they last came over in 2010. Surely- and in all fairness (a concept that the AFL has no idea about)- we should alternate venues?

It's all about ratings and dollars. Fairness went out the door ages ago.

And despite their occasional political noises to the contrary, each and every club administrator loves it, because it means there are more of them, and they get paid more.

In the wet bartel is the perfect chf,dont think we need walker
Fair statement PO if it's wet,but Jimmy was average here in Brisbane in those conditions, maybe still suffering a bit of Nadia lag,:DIf the club are looking at this game in isolation I agree entirely with you on walker how ever if they are looking at the season or more importantly to next week they will look at getting a game into Walks and tune the forward structure IMO.

Really think we should put wc to the sword. They have so many outs in their back line and mid. They still have a good fwd line with darling and Kennedy and obviously their rucks are impressive but I won't be happy with anything less than a 5 goal win. Hoping it blows out to 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back