Preview AFL Round 4 - Geelong v West Coast, Simonds Stadium, 7:40PM Saturday 12 April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why do some people freak out so much every Thursday evening when the teams are announced? It's like certain posters look forward to a good Thursday teams day rant regardless of the teams.

We're 3-0, no stars were dropped, it's going to be all right.
Let's face it, we have stuff al else to look forward to.

Need to increase lists to 80 and play twice a week :)

He won't play at chf too much, as I said earlier in the week, Murdoch, Blicavs, Taylor, Bartel they'll all play there at various times.

I don't see a problem, Brown was hardly playing as a traditional chf was he?

You're probably gonna be proved right with that assessment bulletproof - *but* a part of me would be interested to see how Blicavs would go holding down CHF on his own for the best part of 4 quarters - his major asset is obviously his elite endurance, but strangely, having been named sub in the 3 games to date, he hasn't really had a chance (or need) to draw upon that 'tank' of his.

In theory he should be able to run up and down the F50 and beyond all game long, exhausting his opponents a la Nick Riewoldt.

Whether or not he can capitalize on that advantage is another thing; it's all well and good to be a superior runner, but if you're not running to the right spots and presenting as a genuine target then it's all a bit pointless and he'd be a decoy at best. If he does learn how to run to the right spots and present as a genuine target, then he could become an all-day hit-up option; very handy - depends on his nous and to a slightly lesser extent his marking ability (which is adequate imo - if his positioning and leading patterns are good enough then he could conceivably find himself taking a nice amount of uncontested marks).

On the flip side, bad luck for Brown; not sure how long the ankle injury will keep him out for but his position was already somewhat precarious in the eyes of some.

I'd have happily continued on with him at CHF for a few more games regardless of consistency of output; get some continuity and confidence into him and see if he can grow into the role at senior level.

But I'd venture to speculate that the MC have never been entirely sold on Mitch Brown, going into the season he was arguably their 2nd choice at CHF behind Vardy, possibly even 3rd choice if a fit Shane Kersten was an option - probably somewhere alongside Josh Walker.
Now the possibly-versatile Blicavs bobs up as an option ..

It's a long season though, and Brown does have the advantage of being fairly versatile himself; if he isn't brought straight back into the seniors post-ankle injury, then he becomes a handy 'stand-by' player for pretty much any key position.

I read recently that he's been working at HB in the VFL, so thought I'd ask if he'd be a chance to have a run in the seniors there- not the whole game but a part thereof :)

I can see him as a defender eventually with his tank, he covers a lot of ground off the ball. Always moving.

But not at AFL, yet. Has to show he can kick in the forward line before being promoted to defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see him as a defender eventually with his tank, he covers a lot of ground off the ball. Always moving.

But not at AFL, yet. Has to show he can kick in the forward line before being promoted to defence.
Who?

You're probably gonna be proved right with that assessment bulletproof - *but* a part of me would be interested to see how Blicavs would go holding down CHF on his own for the best part of 4 quarters - his major asset is obviously his elite endurance, but strangely, having been named sub in the 3 games to date, he hasn't really had a chance (or need) to draw upon that 'tank' of his.

In theory he should be able to run up and down the F50 and beyond all game long, exhausting his opponents a la Nick Riewoldt.

Whether or not he can capitalize on that advantage is another thing; it's all well and good to be a superior runner, but if you're not running to the right spots and presenting as a genuine target then it's all a bit pointless and he'd be a decoy at best. If he does learn how to run to the right spots and present as a genuine target, then he could become an all-day hit-up option; very handy - depends on his nous and to a slightly lesser extent his marking ability (which is adequate imo - if his positioning and leading patterns are good enough then he could conceivably find himself taking a nice amount of uncontested marks).

Pretty much as a I see it. A defender will only follow a forward if he shows he is worth following. Blitz runs around like chook with its head cut off , an smart defender will will just let him go and back his own judgement.

I just wonder how much influence his grand father has on some of us as to Josh becoming a defender.

I just wonder how much influence his grand father has on some of us as to Josh becoming a defender.

Of course, grandad wasn't just an outstanding defender, he was also a very good centreman.
He just didn't get to play there much, because he was so good at CHB.
Also there were some stumbling blocks named Lord, Marshall and Closter.
So perhaps Josh could take Blitz's place on the wing when he moves to CHF.

Not sure if defence is the promotion or the pathway to being a defensive forward- as a few forwards seem to be learning the ropes in defence before moving back to the forward line (I'm thinking Brown, Murdoch, Smedts, here)

Pretty much as a I see it. A defender will only follow a forward if he shows he is worth following. Blitz runs around like chook with its head cut off , an smart defender will will just let him go and back his own judgement.
It's a more complicated dynamic that that though, surely.

For example, if no defender follows him then he will be open for his team-mates. If they use him then he becomes dangerous.

This assumes of course, that runs to within range of the kicker which shouldn't be too hard to get right most of the time. I think he is a bright guy and will be able to learn decent running patterns without too much concern.

Not sure if defence is the promotion or the pathway to being a defensive forward- as a few forwards seem to be learning the ropes in defence before moving back to the forward line (I'm thinking Brown, Murdoch, Smedts, here)

Of course it is a promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back