Review AFL Round 5 - Geelong defeat Hawthorn by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

i agree with you, but im trying to think like the MC. i think its well known i dont see i place in the side for blitz, but i am trying to think through what the MC might do with him.

personally against port i think we need more defensive runners to negate their running attack. i am happy with the resting ruckman as the 2nd tall at present.

That's why Sherringham would be my choice and Varcoe sub next week, his attack on the ball and agility within the defensive group will assist our ball movement.
Burbury did enough and showed a little class at times, a bit like young Motlop when he was learning the ropes, I was a doubter.

Balme was talking about Walker and the ruck setup yesterday. And as he does, he was talking in riddles, but it came across like this.

"Walker will get a go soon, but today was a question of how tall can we go. We only started with 2 rucks this year because they both weren't fit" And it was almost like he wanted to say "they are making it impossible to drop one of them".

I would have subbed off Varcoe yesterday. I thought he was putrid.
He'll get another go though. Balme said Motlop will get 2 more VFL games "maybe only one more"

Maybe Larkins was right about Mackie?

And Sheringham did jack when he came on. So he is no walk up start.

If someone watches the replay can they have a look to see if Blitz was running with Hill and Smith all day?
It looked that way to me.

Balme was talking about Walker and the ruck setup yesterday. And as he does, he was talking in riddles, but it came across like this.

"Walker will get a go soon, but today was a question of how tall can we go. We only started with 2 rucks this year because they both weren't fit" And it was almost like he wanted to say "they are making it impossible to drop one of them".

I would have subbed off Varcoe yesterday. I thought he was putrid.
He'll get another go though. Balme said Motlop will get 2 more VFL games "maybe only one more"

Maybe Larkins was right about Mackie?

And Sheringham did jack when he came on. So he is no walk up start.

If someone watches the replay can they have a look to see if Blitz was running with Hill and Smith all day?

VC, you say Teddy did jack,.... no, didn't you see him hit it hard from a centre bounce and win the ball from the outset, something Varcoe who was standing by would never do.
I think he had a run with role and this accounted for the fact of his 2 possessions, I won't try to read anything into that and only 1 quarter, but I think it was the role more so.
I think he went to Mitchell.

I would sub Varcoe because when the game opened late he did pick up some late possessions, albeit a couple of dinky handpasses, but it gives him more likelihood of a late goal over the back or a final pass to a forward in a tight game.
But to give him 4 quarters atm is a travesty of justice to the others.

Think you might be right, but I kind of hope not.

Smith had 19 touches, Hill had 25.
Blicavs had 8.
Yeah I know they got a bit of it, maybe he was there to stall the run?
I'd need to see it again, but I don't remember those two cutting loose with the ball.

I am planning to do so. I seem to be a little outnumbered on the Varcoe front so i want to have a dispassionate look at his game. I will check also what Blicavs was up to because my initial feelings suggested he was missing yesterday. You could be right because Smith had a shocker IMO and his (Smiths)kicking reverted back to the very ordinary [mind you stats suggest he had a better day than Burbury Murdoch Varcoe Kelly and Horlin Smith and about the same as Selwood!]

Smith needs to be 10 m in the clear to hit a target and until yesterday he has had 20m. If Blitz did this it is important to know. Was it whole ground pressure or did Blitz shadow him.

Will post thoughts later

From the current team? Easy. Blicavs.

Can be Brown or Walker too. Some will pick Walker and crow about that, some will pick Brown. Both may make it, equally, both may not. But right now either are better choices than Blicavs.
He doesn't play in the back line,you want Brown down there you need to drop a backman.

congrats on the win guys -- while i dont think either team played particularly well, that is probably due to the pressure both teams are so good at applying

your defense was superb and big Tommy., well, he really can step it up on the big stage cant he...poor cheney is copping it from all angles on our board...but to be honest, i doubt many could have done much better one on one....

i was most impressed with young Guthrie...has been great all year...a real find there!!! loved it when he took that grab in front of Bartel....changing of the guard perhaps??...

anyway - hopefully another great contest later in the year when we are both at full strength

anyway - hopefully another great contest later in the year when we are both at full strength

you were missing sewell, shiels, spangher and whitecross..
we missed caddy, christensen, motlop and vardy.. and more.
infact our injury list is double yours, doesn't that mean 'such a powerhouse hawthorn' should be stronger and better than us? stop making excuses

Yeah I know they got a bit of it, maybe he was there to stall the run?
I'd need to see it again, but I don't remember those two cutting loose with the ball.

Hill was pretty good most of the day I thought. He provided the most run for them through the middle. Smith was quieter than he has been recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

infact our injury list is double yours, doesn't that mean 'such a powerhouse hawthorn' should be stronger and better than us? stop making excuses

Didn't he say, "when we BOTH are at full strength" ..?

yes- had a terrific mark, too. He is just so composed in the packs, isn't he? seems as if he's been playing for years at this level!
That play just inside the square near our def 50? That was huge. Was probably a 12 point play, they would have scored from it, had numbers at drop and an open 50 but we went to the other end and kicked one.

Didn't he say, "when we BOTH are at full strength" ..?
When we've got double the injury list and 95% of the AFL public backing Hawks up there really isn't any excuses for Hawks to be saying what I quoted he said. That was the point I was trying to make.

That play just inside the square near our def 50? That was huge. Was probably a 12 point play, they would have scored from it, had numbers at drop and an open 50 but we went to the other end and kicked one.
That mark made it into the AFL's top 10 plays of the round :) Might look there later to see if it's one of the 3 in Mark of the Week.

You could probably add Lake and Clangers as fairly important to them as well.

Interesting I thought we were a pretty good chance with a couple of breaks going our way. More talls, Hawk in form, the younglings with more games. Still we are just over the first hill in the marathon, but looking strong so far.

By the time the finals roll around, Simpson could be on 30 games, Murdoch could be around 40, and Guthrie could be over 60. :)

Yes I remember that at the Dome as well, very different to Burbs. Some of Burbs is game adjustment , some of it is just experience , some is not having yeas of football to call on. But he need to nail a couple soon. I don't want a Lewis Jetta type string of points to build up ..so to speak.

He is talented , he just needs in game awareness to match the talent.
You've nailed it TC! His first blockbuster at the G - 80,000 crowd + he's under 10 games. Sometimes I do wish he'd handball it to someone, but now I think it is terrific he goes for them, shows he has confidence, which others might call selfishness. I think he makes the classic kitten mistake of not taking the half a second to steady himself. He seems to rush himself, which is nerves. It is a mistake lots of our kittens make. Then you see someone like SJ yesterday, who just takes that split second to steady himself, you can see his mind clicking over. As you say, it's inexperience, game adjustment for Burbs. + he probably nails them all at practise lol I like his overall effort!

Apparently, Selwood, in response to an inane media question nominated Roughead as the hawk he would most like at Geelong.

Was Selwood trolling Roughie? Reverse psychology? I don't recall the commentators mentioning him during the entire match.
It was on the footy show, Hodge and Selwood were talking about the rivalry between the sides and Lyon asked them to nominate a player from the other side they would love to have, and not each other. Sel said Rough, Hodge said Taylor...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back