Game Day AFL Round 6 - Collingwood vs Essendon Matchday Discussion (ANZAC DAY)

Remove this Banner Ad

I am interested to know ladies and gentlemen, I heard NOTHING about these late outs. How did all these come about? It is like they dropped half their team all of a sudden. That massive spiel I wrote earlier might not have been necessary after all! I am in the states, so could someone please fill me in :)

There should never be such confidence in ANZAC games. Essendon will lift, there is nothing more certain than that, whether it's enough to get over the line is the question. So I'm taking a different path on it.

The result sub 10 points either way if we get on top of their smalls up forward it's ours, but if they can get on top on the inside it's theirs to lose with how good they are on the outside.

You can never really pick the result of these games, no matter where each side is on the ladder it usually is a good contest (barring last year and '08). I reckon we'll kick a flurry of late goals and win by 24 points. Elliott to win the medal but I would love to see Pendles win his third.

There should never be such confidence in ANZAC games. Essendon will lift, there is nothing more certain than that, whether it's enough to get over the line is the question. So I'm taking a different path on it.

The result sub 10 points either way if we get on top of their smalls up forward it's ours, but if they can get on top on the inside it's theirs to lose with how good they are on the outside.
There's a bit of a myth that these games are always unpredictable and close.

If you take out the Blair and Zaharakis games there really hasn't been a close match since 2001.

Recent margins of 46, 30, 65 and 73 in the past 6 years show that there are blowouts in this game, and so there's actually more chance of it being a blowout than a close game.

And let's face it, if the improbable happens and they win, they aren't going to beat us by much, so I'll back our confidence in and call for a smashing to add to the recent list of smashings.

I am interested to know ladies and gentlemen, I heard NOTHING about these late outs. How did all these come about? It is like they dropped half their team all of a sudden. That massive spiel I wrote earlier might not have been necessary after all! I am in the states, so could someone please fill me in :)

Goddard has a groin injury that occurred 2 weeks ago against Freo and didn't play last week, so no great surprise on him being out. Myers has a hammy strain and Hocking with "soreness" so that's the bulk of their midfield gone. Bellchambers hasn't played at all yet this year due to preseason ankle injury and last week was his first game in the VFL so he's lacking match fitness. They've also dropped Jetta and brought in Winderlich, a third gamer in Merret and also Dempsey who was serving a month long club sanction for poor attitude. So all in all, Bombers not travelling too flash at the moment.

I'm quietly confident today, should be a solid win for the Pies.

Good call. In recent times we have shown our ability to both win when many are writing us off, but also lose games we are expected to win.

A good indicator of where we are at this season will be to not drop those games we should be winning. We absolutely SHOULD win today but I don't think it'll be the blowout that many are predicting.

lol Daniher.
neeeeeeeerd-o.gif

First ten minutes will be awful to watch but after that the first team to settle will be the winner of the game.

I wish we could have a full strength side playing today but with our outs it really evens the game a bit for Essendon with their outs as well.

Instead of losing by 75 points it will be just 8-9 goal win for Collingwood. God I am asking for it if we lose though hahaha.

It's such a great day to be involved in, growing up through school I didn't really know the significance of ANZAC Day but this match really taught me about the importance of the day and what it really means. I hope this fixture between the two big and great clubs in Collingwood and Essendon stays for a decade at least because it's not just a game.

This game would have educated a lot more kids growing up about what ANZAC Day is and what it means just like me. I have to admit Kevin Sheedy was a genius for creating this game and it's one game Collingwood and Essendon look forward to every year.

Lest we forget

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a bit of a myth that these games are always unpredictable and close.

If you take out the Blair and Zaharakis games there really hasn't been a close match since 2001.

Recent margins of 46, 30, 65 and 73 in the past 6 years show that there are blowouts in this game, and so there's actually more chance of it being a blowout than a close game.

And let's face it, if the improbable happens and they win, they aren't going to beat us by much, so I'll back our confidence in and call for a smashing to add to the recent list of smashings.

That's fair enough I worded my post pretty poorly looking over it as well :thumbsu:

This fixture quite often throws up unexpected results. 2011 aside many of those thrashings were expected to be much closer and with our recent inability to put teams away I just can't see the unexpected result being a blowout our way i.e. a 5-6 goal plus win.

Despite it gelling of late our defense is still light on for experience and quality small-medium types so it's something Essendon can exploit with Hardingham, Chapman, Winderlich and the likes of Zaharakis, Howlett or Melksham pushing forward.

At the end of the day I hope I'm dead wrong and we blow them out. I'm just not confident of it in comparison with others.

i really hope we win big today. if we can absorb essendon's initial pressure and then slowly control the game for the rest of the period there is no reason why we wont be able to run them off their feet. Just cant wait for the game to get started

Good call. In recent times we have shown our ability to both win when many are writing us off, but also lose games we are expected to win.

A good indicator of where we are at this season will be to not drop those games we should be winning. We absolutely SHOULD win today but I don't think it'll be the blowout that many are predicting.

Upon reflection it's the difference between the 2010-2011 team and today's line up. Our top end is no different, same goes with our bottom end and we have greater depth, IMO. Yet we just aren't capitalizing like we once did.

In a good season momentum is everything and we have built up quite a bit of late with four good performances on the trot, no change for two weeks running, players returning to the VFL in bunches (Williams, Seeedsman, Broomhead and Karnezis) etc. so I understand the confidence and if we capitalize on it that's fantastic, but the flip side if we don't is that the momentum can dissipate quickly so I wouldn't mind tempering things a touch.

Overall bring the effort and get the result as always :thumbsu:

Lest we forget

Hows the cockiness of majority on here!
I'm all for believing we can win, but people saying we will smash them is a big call!
Essendon are a far better side than what they've dished up in the past 2 weeks.

My tip is either side by under 15, Elliot for ANZAC award.

SEN REPORTING THAT JOBE WATSON COULD MISS TODAYS CLASH WITH GASTRO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back