Mega Thread AFL uses Simonds Stadium for qualifying final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL...I'll have 10 chickens before the egg. We will smash Brisbane so hard they'll think the Geelong flyer got derailed.

We might finish 1st.:) We should demand to play Sydney down here if that happens!
Yeah. If we finish second we can get a home final but if we finish first we don't even though both scenarios are against interstate teams. How ridiculous is that.

Just heard Andrew Demetriou interviewed on 774, and he said that if Geelong plays Fremantle in the first week, then it is more likely than not that the game will be at Kardinia Park. This would be a one-off only because three other Vic teams with large memberships will play at MCG.

Factors in the decision include expected crowd of only 32,000+, the fact that the Cats finished 2nd and are therefore entitled to an advantage in choice of ground, and also the fact that it would bring $5 million into Geelong, which would help the region in tough economic times.

He stressed the AFL would take over the ground for the final, so ticket sales would be the same as for any other finals (ie Cats fans don't get their regular season's seats, Freo gets a decent allocation, etc). he also mentioned that Freo doesn't have any say in where this final should be, and that basically they'll just have to lump it!

If this happens I think it will be a great thing for the at Geelong club and region. So go Hawks this weekend ;)

Just heard Andrew Demetriou interviewed on 774, and he said that if Geelong plays Fremantle in the first week, then it is more likely than not that the game will be at Kardinia Park. This would be a one-off only because three other Vic teams with large memberships will play at MCG.

Factors in the decision include expected crowd of only 32,000+, the fact that the Cats finished 2nd and are therefore entitled to an advantage in choice of ground, and also the fact that it would bring $5 million into Geelong, which would help the region in tough economic times.

He stressed the AFL would take over the ground for the final, so ticket sales would be the same as for any other finals (ie Cats fans don't get their regular season's seats, Freo gets a decent allocation, etc). he also mentioned that Freo doesn't have any say in where this final should be, and that basically they'll just have to lump it!

If this happens I think it will be a great thing for the at Geelong club and region. So go Hawks this weekend ;)
The bolded is the bit that might just get this done,nothing like a bit of sucking up to a new government and being seen as a good corporate citizen.

hahaha, can't believe i'll actualyl be going for the hawks

Wow. Actually starting to believe this could happen.
Me too,this is one I baked earlier for a comment I made earlier to another poster.
bth_Humble-Pie.jpg

That all sounds good but, that last sentence ruined it for me.

I'd rather claim minor premiership and play at Etihad than hope Hawthorn win any game:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could backfire big time if we bring the heat like we did the last time. I think resting all these players is the best thing for us. :thumbsu:

Just to refresh memories. In 2010, Freo sent a WAFL reserves side to Tassie to play Hawthorn and were roundly condemned for it. They lost by 116 points.

2 weeks later in the first week of finals Freo with their full team back in, defeated Hawthorn by 5 goals. Incidently 42,719 attend that game at Subi. The following week Geelong defeated Freo by 69 points in front of 45,056 at the G.

This whole "We'll play anywhere" line needs to get the heave-ho as well (pun intended). Of course we will play anywhere, it goes without saying. But do you think Collingwood would say that in response to being shafted for finals scheduling? of course not. Eddie would indeed be everywhere in order to get the game moved to the MCG. We should be the same. CS saying in his presser that we would play at Newtown just makes us look weak. Stand up and say we want the final played at the MCG and if not there then KP is the ONLY other venue we want it played at. We earned it.

I loved what Scott said. To me it sends the exactly correct approach - that we're focused on how we play, not where we play. Because Scott says that in the press conference doesn't mean the club won't let the AFL know their true feelings - they absolutely will. But it shows the other actual teams we're playing against that they aren't going to be distracted by factors they can't control. That to me is a very positive thing.

Vinum Coupe...What do you reckon of them apples? You might have to get in the car and drive to Geelong. Shock horror!
Have not gone to a game at KP in nearly 20 years. Not about to start now.
I avoid the town as much as I can, it's a s**t hole.

How's them apples?

Sorry to intrude, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.
For me, I'm not bothered if Freo play you in Geelong as I do like the "anyone anywhere" mantra. It would be amazing if we managed to get up on your home turf, as unlikely as that may be. Plus I'm a believer of the higher on the ladder, the more of an advantage you deserve. If we start the way we started finals last year, the game has amazing potential.
I believe it will come down to the weather. Any chance if rain, I think the Afl will schedule the game at Ethiad, which would be fine.
I do understand the Freo board wanting the game at Ethiad, I personally know a fair few fellow freo members who are hoping to make the trip, so having it at a larger stadium would make sense. Plus you'd think they would be a touch concerned with your home ground advantage, although they wouldn't admit it.
All I'm hoping for is a very competitive final and no injuries to either team. We've been through enough with Menzel/Morabito. We should be well rested after giving 10 guys the break (traveling 2 weeks in a row takes it out of you) so cya in Melbourne/Geelong!

Do any of you realize that if we beat Brisbane, and Sydney beat Hawthorn, then Geelong is top of the ladder. We move from 2nd to 1st. If we end up top of the ladder, why shouldn't we have the option to choose where we play a final (a right I feel finishing 1st or 2nd should afford you)? Why should we be forced to play Etihad, and not the MCG, if we end up finishing top of the ladder.

Do any of you realize that if we beat Brisbane, and Sydney beat Hawthorn, then Geelong is top of the ladder. We move from 2nd to 1st. If we end up top of the ladder, why shouldn't we have the option to choose where we play a final (a right I feel finishing 1st or 2nd should afford you)? Why should we be forced to play Etihad, and not the MCG, if we end up finishing top of the ladder.

If we finish first we will play Sydney at the MCG. I don't think that has ever been questioned.

Because the AFL have already said it wont happen.
In that scenario I reckon we will get the MCG and the Hawks will get Etihad.

Or York park :D

Wouldn't think that anyone not a member would get a ticket if this was too happen... all tickets would be snapped up very quickly I'd imagine during the members release

10,000 is the number I have been told from our club for a venue like Etihad or MCG, so I'm not sure if that would be scaled back to 8000-9000 due to Skilled having a smaller capacity.

As it is an AFL ticketed game That would be around the number I would expect, maybe 10k to show some goodwill

As it is an AFL ticketed game That would be around the number I would expect, maybe 10k to show some goodwill

I assume as its a final they will be able to get as many tickets as they want until its sold out. Tickets will go on sale to both clubs members at 9.00am, why limit the amount to one club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back