Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez how good are these teams, I went in thinking QLD would smash them but came out thinking what a gr8 game that would be.

Our AFLW State of Origin: Queensland and the Allies

Refreshing that someone took a look at the out of (Vic) staters first.
I think the Qsld team is overstocked in talls, would drop a couple of them for more mids/flanker types. I mean seriously, they named a forward line, all bar one could play CHF, and they named the Brisbane back line, except they dropped the only running half back for a Collingwood KPD. And the IC has at least 2 more KPP. Seriously, there are at least 10 players that could play CHF or CHB in the team.

Not sure how Fredericks makes the team, output has been so so for several years. And Gibson? Mediocre output for several years, and most of last year injured. What is the basis for including her, even as depth.

I think the Qsld team is overstocked in talls, would drop a couple of them for more mids/flanker types. I mean seriously, they named a forward line, all bar one could play CHF, and they named the Brisbane back line, except they dropped the only running half back for a Collingwood KPD. And the IC has at least 2 more KPP. Seriously, there are at least 10 players that could play CHF or CHB in the team.
Not sure how Fredericks makes the team, output has been so so for several years. And Gibson? Mediocre output for several years, and most of last year injured. What is the basis for including her, even as depth.
Team balance and recent form doesn't matter, except apparently in the case of Tasmania's best-ever player.

**** off AFL
Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Maybe I'm missing something in that article, but this line was confusing:

"The AFLW's list committee will determine any relevant compensation, which could include draft picks ahead of AFLW Season Nine in 2024."

So, teams could/will lose players ahead of the 2023 season, but there's no compensation until 12 months time - that seems a bit off

"The AFLW's list committee will determine any relevant compensation, which could include draft picks ahead of AFLW Season Nine in 2024."

So, teams could/will lose players ahead of the 2023 season, but there's no compensation until 12 months time - that seems a bit off
Draft picks mean literally nothing to Brisbane.

What other compensation could they possibly offer.

Remember it's only an over age draft this year.

Remember it's only an over age draft this year.

Could that be a contributing factor to why some teams have been quieter in regards to list changes as there's not going to be the opportunity to replenish/being in some new youth

There's no under-age draft this year. That's why there's no compo

This is huge for the hawks though. Really strong group of young players, and potentially some massive signings to fill the gaps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players that wanted to join Hawthorn etc were going to do it one way or another, be it via a lopsided trade or nominating for the open age draft.

Today's announcement means clubs losing those players have a chance of getting fair compensation, which they otherwise wouldn't have had due to the nature of this year's draft.

i still reckon not many would want to go to the expansion clubs

They were able to walk for free last year, so if those that didn’t 12 months ago not much would have convinced them to move now
Maybe not the others, but part of the dingley build is a women's facility.
The girls are pumped for it

I'd be spewing if i supported a top 4 club.

Any Idea who/what clubs PA will target?

If the player agrees is it a forced trade to the club or can the club hold them to contract?

I'd be spewing if i supported a top 4 club.

If the player agrees is it a forced trade to the club or can the club hold them to contract?

In the past and heavily implied in this case is that players are able to break contracts to move to expansion clubs.

I suspect Port Adelaide will be hitting the phones hard to see who may be open to moving as they build around a young SA core.

i still reckon not many would want to go to the expansion clubs

They were able to walk for free last year, so if those that didn’t 12 months ago not much would have convinced them to move now
I tend to agree but hopefully the Swans in particular are able to get some much needed talent through the door.

I mean, presumably the entire Crows side, as well as any SA players playing in other states. But as was said before, players could have moved last year if they wanted to, and I doubt they saw much on-field last season that would convince them to move now if they weren't keen before.

If I'm Port, I'm targeting fringe players in the Crows line-up. Players like Montana McKinnon, who inexplicably got dropped twice last season despite performing well, or Zoe Prowse, or Brooke Tonon, etc who can clearly play but haven't nailed down a guaranteed spot yet.

Edit: Oh, Prowse and Tonon have only played for two seasons so are not eligible. They could go for the likes of Whiteley/Dowrick/Ward who can play but are likely to miss out on a starting spot at the Crows.

Last edited:
Based on the article on the AFLW website, the compo picks can't be traded in the pre-s8 trade and draft period

I think the article is saying that players are moving as Free Agents with No TRADES at all occurring during the priority signing period.

Unless otherwise explicitly stated I would expect that any resulting compo picks (made up by the AFL) and other regular draft picks would be allowed to be traded during the trade period.

I mean, presumably the entire Crows side, as well as any SA players playing in other states. But as was said before, players could have moved last year if they wanted to, and I doubt they saw much on-field last season that would convince them to move now if they weren't keen before.

If I'm Port, I'm targeting fringe players in the Crows line-up. Players like Montana McKinnon, who inexplicably got dropped twice last season despite performing well, or Zoe Prowse, or Brooke Tonon, etc who can clearly play but haven't nailed down a guaranteed spot yet.

Edit: Oh, Tonon has only played for two seasons so is not eligible. They could go for the likes of Whiteley/Dowrick/Ward who can play but are likely to miss out on a starting spot at the Crows.
One report several weeks ago was that Ponter "could be on the move".

In the past and heavily implied in this case is that players are able to break contracts to move to expansion clubs.

I suspect Port Adelaide will be hitting the phones hard to see who may be open to moving as they build around a young SA core.

Edit: Oh, Tonon has only played for two seasons so is not eligible. They could go for the likes of Whiteley/Dowrick/Ward who can play but are likely to miss out on a starting spot at the Crows.
Thanks for the information!

It will make what would have been a pretty boring draft/trade period very interesting to watch! This is a huge benifit to the 4 expansion clubs and massive detriment to the top 4 imo. I'm surprised the AFLW made a huge call to try and equalise the competition.

I'm still learning the players from all teams as i never use to watch AFLW until PA scored a team and have managed to go to to most games we've played. I'll be watching closely to see who we get!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back