AFL's promotion of defence force enlistment - are you concerned by it?

Does it concern you that the AFL is so close to military recuiting drives?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Smiling Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 17, 2007
Cultural Marxist Utopia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just tuned in for a bit of the prematch before Port vs Hawthorn. In time for a segment about a HFC trip down to Cerberus for some military-style training.

Cut to a montage of Hawthorn players working hard on an obstacle course, some clips from apparent Navy trainers (one guy, one girl) explaining the teamwork/camaraderie ethos these drills are intended to build, before finishing with none other than Josh Gibson glowing about the Navy, saying: 'if I was kicked out of footy I would come sign up here'. defencejobs.gov overlaying the last part of the segment.

Now this is blatant pro-military advertising (or, as it used to be known, propaganda). At a time when young peoples safety net is on the verge of being kyboshed, youth unemployment is one the rise, and some argue we are on the precipice of escalating worldwide conflicts.

Are you personally comfortable with the top administrator of the sport we all love having this kind of relationship with the defence force and its recruiting drives? If so, can you at least see why other people might not be? If not, would you be willing to join some kind of campaign against it or is yours more of a passive objection?

Over to you, bigfooty.

interesting way to structure your survey.

You ask a question in your title and have a different question in the survey?

I don't see any harm in the defense force advertising and they are aiming it at the right audience.

I think it's just well targeted advertising isn't it?

They want young men to sign up, preferably fit and active young men, the type who are known to watch football and have an interest in football.

Unless you're concerned that fully grown adult males are so dumb they'd join armed forces just because Josh Gibson told them to - I don't see the problem.

What exactly is wrong with promoting a job that offers equal pay, free medical and housing?

If I was unemployed it seems a logical choice so long as I could pass one of the fitness tests

Free housing??? I'd like to see that (no Virginia, you don't get free housing in the ADF)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, I was wrong. You pay either a subsidised rent, receive an allowance for rent or live on base and pay a small fee for both accommodation and/or food
Unfortunately that small fee isn't as small as it used to be - at one stage I was paying $22/fn for R&Q, was worth paying even if you lived out.

I think it's just well targeted advertising isn't it?

They want young men to sign up, preferably fit and active young men, the type who are known to watch football and have an interest in football.

Unless you're concerned that fully grown adult males are so dumb they'd join armed forces just because Josh Gibson told them to - I don't see the problem.
You'd be surprised.

Just tuned in for a bit of the prematch before Port vs Hawthorn. In time for a segment about a HFC trip down to Cerberus for some military-style training.

Cut to a montage of Hawthorn players working hard on an obstacle course, some clips from apparent Navy trainers (one guy, one girl) explaining the teamwork/camaraderie ethos these drills are intended to build, before finishing with none other than Josh Gibson glowing about the Navy, saying: 'if I was kicked out of footy I would come sign up here'. defencejobs.gov overlaying the last part of the segment.

Now this is blatant pro-military advertising (or, as it used to be known, propaganda). At a time when young peoples safety net is on the verge of being kyboshed, youth unemployment is one the rise, and some argue we are on the precipice of escalating worldwide conflicts.

Are you personally comfortable with the top administrator of the sport we all love having this kind of relationship with the defence force and its recruiting drives? If so, can you at least see why other people might not be? If not, would you be willing to join some kind of campaign against it or is yours more of a passive objection?

Over to you, bigfooty.

Mate of mine mentioned something like this a couple of weeks ago. He believes the new youth welfare policies and increase in military advertising are designed to drive up numbers of recruits. He seems to think some s**t's gonna go down soon and we need to boost our military muscle

Over to you, bigfooty.
Won't somebody think of the children!

How do you involve the AFL in endorsing those who advertise on footy telecasts ?

Are you also concerned by the anti tradie advertising promoting Bunnings & DIY thus robbing the trades of work - even worse they also sell lawnmowers that might drive Jims Mowing franchisees out of business/force them to sell the family home. Don't worry about Mr Abbotts daughter, an AFL Commissioner heads up the mob that owns Bunnings - its a dirty trick with the peanut gallery up to its neck in it.

Back