Training AFLW 2022 Preseason Thread - Inaugural leadership group announced!

Remove this Banner Ad

Full team:

1 CAITLIN SARGENT
2 GEORGIA GEE
3 DARIA BANNISTER
4 MADISON PRESPAKIS
6 DANIELLE MARSHALL
8 BONNIE TOOGOOD
9 JORJA BORG
10 JACQUI VOGT
11 ALANA BARBA
12 JOANNE DOONAN
15 OLIVIA BARTON
17 FEDERICA FREW
19 MIA VAN DYKE
20 STEPHANIE CAIN
21 JESS WUETSCHNER
22 AMELIA RADFORD
23 RENEE TIERNEY
24 SOPHIE ALEXANDER
25 ALEX MORCOM
28 MIA BUSCH
30 STEPHANIE WALES
32 PAIGE SCOTT
33 AMBER CLARKE
35 CAT PHILLIPS

Last edited by a moderator:

Woody shouting out to the players for being brave enough to go to a club where they don't necessarily know everyone or anyone, the staff that have come across from other parts of the club or elsewhere, the board that has invested in women's footy and the VFLW program before we even had a guarantee of an AFLW license, to the men's program for supporting this even while having their own programs to deal with. All 'being brave' enough to put skin in the game when you basically don't know what you're going to get back.

Mahoney, Rutten, Madden and a few others all present in the room as the camera pans around as well.

She also called back to the 150th anniversary events over the weekend that some of the players were able to attend, as well as the Essendon DNA on the wall (which is blurred out again haha) – so I guess building the AFLW program is going to tie in very much with some of those traits that are being built into the men's as well.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Nat just let it slip that Hawthorn are the round one opponent? Or is it just hypothetical?
Not sure, was wondering that myself.

Wouldn’t be the stupidest idea to face a rival who is legitimately a rival in this comp though, coming in at the same time with the same list concessions and a similar approach to building up VFLW and getting an experienced AFLW coach of one sort of another that has connections with the league and the playing group.

That and jumper numbers. Don’t know what to believe, need a reveal announcement or something.

They put up a gallery from last week (I feel like we've had a few sessions since then and no photos :( ) but oh well. Here's a few to put faces to names

#5: Georgia Nanscawen (pr. Nan-scorn), VFL Captain & MVP. Often wears long sleeves with her No. 5 :smirk:
ESS18.jpg

#4: Maddy Prespakis - Marquee player from Carlton, massive Essendon fan growing up, idolised Jobe, and now wears Jobe's number in the midfield.
ESS29.jpg

#8: Bonnie Toogood - Marquee Player from the Bulldogs, our key forward 💪
ESS27.jpg

#16: Jordan Zanchetta, known as JZ/JayZee from our VFL team, 1-2 punch in the midfield with Nanscawen. Also previously an AFL Lion.
ESS21.jpg

#11: Alana Barba, Barbs from our VFL team, also played for Gold Coast last year. Her pressure is amazing, expect strong tackles.
ESS37.jpg

#17: Federica Frew leading goal kicker from the VFL team, when the ball is near her she makes magic happen. aka Fede.
ESS6.jpg

#1: Caitlin Sargent from the Western Jets - the baby of the group until the draft next week, she turns 19 in December.
ESS24.jpg

#24: Sophie Alexander from Collingwood, had a Hird signed bombers cap as a kid, which she wore backwards.
ESS25.jpg

#3: Daria Bannister from Norf – another goal sneak
ESS7.jpg

We have been missing hat related updates on BigFooty so I especially appreciate this factoid.

I'm assuming this has been answered somewhere and I should google it, but will our home games be at Windy Hill?
They're supposed to be in the longer term but the place needs to be reconditioned and there's a whole bunch of issues around that.

On the plus side our VFL girls that have been upgraded already know how to play well at that ground 😛

They're supposed to be in the longer term but the place needs to be reconditioned and there's a whole bunch of issues around that.

On the plus side our VFL girls that have been upgraded already know how to play well at that ground 😛

I'd enjoy going down to Windy Hill over the summer to watch some games if they have them on.

I'd enjoy going down to Windy Hill over the summer to watch some games if they have them on.
The season will be done by Christmas, August start date, 10 rounds, top 8 system with 4 weeks of finals.

If we're playing in summer this year we'll be extraordinarily fortunate, as the only game that might be played in December is the granny 🤣

VFLW was good there last weekend though, first time I've been to Windy Hill to watch a game – the other VFL and VFLW games I've been to were away finals and obviously the AFL team doesn't play there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back