AFLW AFLW List Management 2023-24

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It’s the unfortunate time of year where a few girls will have to get their marching orders 😔

Erin Phillips is obviously retired now, but I think Jade De Melo and Lily Johnson probably get cut, and as much as I don’t like it…my girl Jade Halfpenny probably can’t and won’t survive 😔

Yaz Duursma probably gets the flick on name alone too unfortunately.

Both Cockatoo-Motlap girls appear on the outer of the squad as well so wouldn't be surprised if they made way.

Agree re Duursma. She hasn't done a lot but has been picked most weeks so Arnell obviously likes her. Unfortunately I'm almost certain that Richardson, Davies and Hinkley will get involved and make sure she gets cut due to her family being enemies of the regime.

Was really hoping Yorston would come back after a year off, was just such an incredible defensive midfielder that provided great balance for our ball-getters, the tagging roles she did were the best I've seen. Basically our female Willem Drew. Pretty sad about that one.

Halfpenny and Laquoiya I guess just haven't developed as we had hoped, so its sad to see them go but understandable. Hopefully Halfpenny doesn't come back to bite us because I still think there is a chance she needs a few more years. MacLachlan and De Melo to me just seemed like the type that you need to play a role as a new side, but probably lacked the weapons to ever play in a premiership for us so we need higher ceiling players.

Maggie MacLachlan was definitely worth keeping for her lethal right boot alone, and Lily Johnson was impressive in her few games last year but I’m surprised she survived.
Maggie had her body let her down. So hard to keep her on. I was surprised Lily Johnson didnt get a couple more opportunities. I always thought she could have done as much as Dursma or Boag, given some of their performances were average at times

Lauren Young signed with Port Adelaide last night. As part of the NGA was taken outside the draft and apparently would have been number 1 pick. Lauren is a natural footballer, strong body, excellent kicking skills and contested mark.
LFG, if true

Lauren Young signed with Port Adelaide last night. As part of the NGA was taken outside the draft and apparently would have been number 1 pick. Lauren is a natural footballer, strong body, excellent kicking skills and contested mark.
Aren't Port likely to get pick 2 outside of the draft as well? Or have we been restricted to only signing one of them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So why couldn't Port do the same thing for previous 2 drafts from its NGA as well as the crows from their NGA???

A few of us looked around for the NGA rules last year, with Lauren in mind for future drafts, and we couldn't find anything that confirmed Port had access to their NGA players outside the draft.

My understanding is they get three picks outside the draft, all have to be from NGA. I believe Shineah Goody and Molly Brooksby will also be signed
So when did these rules come into force?? They weren't there before the 2022 AFLW draft.

Is this part of the concessions the 4 expansion clubs got after Season 7??

These were the list concessions for the 4 expansion AFLW clubs announced in February 2023. I can now see why Sydney made a big improvement this season. The Essendon and Hawks concessions are in the link but Port and Sydney got more than them.

Along with the official release, clubs and players were contacted in regards to the ‘Priority Signing Period’ (PSP) conditions, as well as the dates for both the PSP and Sign and Trade Period. Both periods will run across the first three weeks of March ahead of the touted AFL Women’s Overage Draft in April.

KEY DATES

• Priority Signing (PS): March 1 (9am) until March 8 (2pm)
  • Sign and Trade Period: March 10 (9am) until March 20 (3pm)

What is a PSP player?

A PSP Player is a player who has completed three or more AFL Women’s seasons. That means that players who were on an AFL Women’s list for each of the the 2021 (Season 5), 2022A (Season 6) and 2022B (Season 7) seasons or earlier, are eligible to be move clubs during the PSP.

Port Adelaide

• Will receive TWO (2) additional list spots for Season Eight
  • Eligible to sign up to THREE (3) players during the PSP and can offer them a Secondary Relocation Reimbursement/Payment
  • Permitted to sign one (ONE) underage player during the PSP
It is an exciting time for Port Adelaide fans, who have the unique option to sign an underage player for Season 8. It means there will be one 2005-born player eligible to play next season, but they must be a school-leaver. On top of signing the one underage player for Season 8, Port Adelaide can also sign up to three PSP players, and in doing so, receive two additional list spots for net season.

Sydney

• Will receive THREE (3) additional list spots for Season 8
  • Eligible to sign up to FIVE (5) players during the PSP and can offer them a Secondary Relocation Reimbursement/Payment
  • Permitted to offer an additional two seasons on top of the Season Eight current maximum contract for TWO (2) players
  • Permitted to offer an additional one season on top of the Season Eight current maximum contract for three (THREE) players
The Swans concessions are a little more complicated, but ultimately they can ‘poach’ five players from other clubs, and will receive three extra list spots in the process, taking their total list size to 33. Additionally, they have been given the ability to sign players to long-term deals that none of the other 17 clubs are able to do. Ultimately it means more security for those signings, with three players able to sign for one more year than anywhere else in the league, and two players can sign for two more years than anywhere in the league.

Getting those three players outside of the draft and then taking Piper Window with our first pick would be pretty massive. Essentially bringing in 4 top 10 players in one draft. 3 top 5 players.

Getting those three players outside of the draft and then taking Piper Window with our first pick would be pretty massive. Essentially bringing in 4 top 10 players in one draft. 3 top 5 players.
You didn't read closely enough. They were the February 2023 announced concessions before the April 2023 AFLW Supplementary Draft to mainly help the expansion sides.

These conditions do not apply to the December 2023 AFLW Draft.

The club 20 minutes ago announced Lauren's signing. This is how they explained it. There must have been another set of concessions different to the ones above.

PORT ADELAIDE has signed talented tall Lauren Young as part of the Expansion U18 Talent Pathway Pre-Signing Period.

The teams included in the most recent wave of NAB AFLW expansion – Port Adelaide, Sydney, Hawthorn and Essendon – have the option to pre-sign up to three players who have come through each respective club’s academy, prior to the NAB AFLW Draft in December.

So why couldn't Port do the same thing for previous 2 drafts from its NGA as well as the crows from their NGA???

A few of us looked around for the NGA rules last year, with Lauren in mind for future drafts, and we couldn't find anything that confirmed Port had access to their NGA players outside the draft.
Heres the article that (sort of) explains things

This is the Rookie Me top 10 rankings

Power-Rankings-AFLW-U18s-WP-Oct.jpg

Young, Goody, Brooksby can all join via NGA. I think Window can choose to stay in SA which means we can grab her with our first pick. Then there are other SA girls hovering around the top 15 that we are a chance for with our second pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back