AFLW AFLW List Management 2023-24

Remove this Banner Ad

Re trying to draft Piper Window, Rookie Me Centeral says

SEPTEMBER RANKING: #3

DRAFT LOOK:

The SANFLW best and fairest winner could end up the first ‘live’ pick in the draft, and considering her CV in 2023, it would hard to deny she is up there with the best. If a state-based draft she will likely head to Port, but in a first round national-based draft then it opens up the possibilities. The fact she is a Crows-linked NGA player is likely to get Adelaide proactive in securing her.

STATE RANKING:

Lol how could they get in front of us?

Only happens with some back room shenanigans.

The crows would have to secure the 1st pick of one of the 3 teams picking before us, and those teams would be giving up access to the best player in their state.

In the case of the dogs they would slide way back in the vic draft. Wouldn’t they go from picking the best vic player to the 10th vic player? If I understand correctly.

West coast and gws give up the best player from their state.

What could the crows give up to entice those clubs to do that?

Window has a choice whether to nominate for the draft as a SA player or a national player. If she nominates for SA she'll end up here, but if she nominates for the national she could end up anywhere. That is how Adelaide could get her, but they'll have to trade into a position to take her.

If she nominated for the open draft the crows would still need to trade into the top 3 picks just the same.

Would take a significant amount of collusion to achieve that no?

Because even if Adelaide trade up, unless they trade up to pick #1 then everyone else with a pick above them in the national draft could still take her? Or trade out that pick to a team like Port that could grab it and her?

Surely they'd be better off going the Sarah Goodwin path - let her come to Port but get in her ear?
It will be hard for them and highly risky for her if she wants to stay in SA. Reckon she ends up here. 💯 Adelaide will get in her ear.

Lol how could they get in front of us?

Only happens with some back room shenanigans.

The crows would have to secure the 1st pick of one of the 3 teams picking before us, and those teams would be giving up access to the best player in their state.

In the case of the dogs they would slide way back in the vic draft. Wouldn’t they go from picking the best vic player to the 10th vic player? If I understand correctly.

West coast and gws give up the best player from their state.

What could the crows give up to entice those clubs to do that?
"Give us the pick and let's just say we'll provide a certain goal umpire for key moments in the men's competition if needed"

We are going to get Piper Window.

I watched/listened a 20 minute interview with her with a wanna be AFL draft and trading reporter last night during the cricket. The interview went up yesterday.

She has spoken to a lot of clubs but she has nominated for the SA draft not the national draft.

Her best mate and mates is Matilda Scholz and her two sisters who also played/play with Glenelg. She is also friends with Ella Boag, another Glenelg product. She talks a lot about Matilda and how excited she was when Port signed her and watching her play AFLW.

She isn't a crows fan as I assumed. She said in the men's she is a Collingwood fan and Pendlebury is her favourite player. She doesn't support a specific AFLW team, but follows certain individuals. Its clear her idol is Ebony Marinoff - tries to model her game on her. Marinoff played for Glenelg in their 2021 premiership with a then 16 year old Piper, before the 2021 AFLW season started.

I checked the AFLW ladder to see who has picks before us and the crows would have very little to be able to give WCE and GWS in a trade and WB wont give away the chance to get the best Vic player.

We are going to get Piper Window.

I watched/listened a 20 minute interview with her with a wanna be AFL draft and trading reporter last night during the cricket. The interview went up yesterday.

She has spoken to a lot of clubs but she has nominated for the SA draft not the national draft.

Her best mate and mates is Matilda Scholz and her two sisters who also played/play with Glenelg. She is also friends with Ella Boag, another Glenelg product. She talks a lot about Matilda and how excited she was when Port signed her and watching her play AFLW.

She isn't a crows fan as I assumed. She said in the men's she is a Collingwood fan and Pendlebury is her favourite player. She doesn't support a specific AFLW team, but follows certain individuals. Its clear her idol is Ebony Marinoff - tries to model her game on her. Marinoff played for Glenelg in their 2021 premiership with a then 16 year old Piper, before the 2021 AFLW season started.

I checked the AFLW ladder to see who has picks before us and the crows would have very little to be able to give WCE and GWS in a trade and WB wont give away the chance to get the best Vic player.

He was the Scoop before Sam McClure was the Scoop. He's also done an interview with Shineah Goody:

The first year ended up being more frustrating than disappointing because we had no real key forward after Gemma Houghton got injured in the Rd 3 game and missed the next 7 and Erin was still severely hampered by her knee operation.

The young players tried but made some bad mistakes, as well as a few shocking umpiring decisions meant we lost 4 games by a kick or two and a draw that you'd think with Gemma playing, Erin in closer to her 2017-2020 form, and 3 or 4 more experienced players we win most of those games and maybe sneak into the finals.

2023 season I was very disappointed because Gemma was there for all 10 games and Erin was a lot closer to her best form than in 2022 and I had hopes that our young players would improve, but too many stagnated or went backwards. Plus we signed Woodland to help Houghton.

If we end up with 4 of the best 10 U/18 players in 2023 draft pool, we should improve, and baring injuries and move up the ladder, but might not make the huge leap Sydney made this year. But 2025 we have to make a serious go for the top of the ladder positions.

Last edited:
I always thought Piper's granddad had a soft spot for Port from his Sunday Footy Show appearances. Certainly respected Port Adelaide and Jack Cahill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always thought Piper's granddad had a soft spot for Port from his Sunday Footy Show appearances. Certainly respected Port Adelaide and Jack Cahill.
Gary always spoke well of Jack, be it on the Sunday Footy Show, and other TV and radio shows.

Ok jumping ahead to 2024 draft for a minute, this story came out on Friday announcing the next intake for the AFLW Academy Squad. A couple of players we will look at very closely to draft.

THE PLAYER of this year's under-18 national championships, Queensland's Havana Harris, headlines the intake for the 2024 AFLW national academy. Ruck/forward Harris was also awarded the best on ground medal in this year's QAFLW Grand Final, playing for Bond University.

She's one of seven academy selections who were also named in the under-18 All-Australian team this year: Vic Country's Ash Centra (forward/mid) and Sara Howley (midfielder), Vic Metro's Emma McDonald (key forward), South Australia's India Rasheed (midfielder [selected at HFF]) and Poppy Scholz (tall utility [selected at CHB]) and West Australian Molly O'Hehir (defender).

Rasheed is the daughter of respected international tennis coach Roger. ....... also in the academy, as is Scholz, the sister of Port Adelaide's Matilda [ and good mate of Piper Window].

All players selected are born in 2006, and thus eligible for the 2024 AFLW Draft.

I have tried to reconcile our list given the February 2023 concessions said we only have 2 extra players on the list for;

Port Adelaide
  • Will receive TWO (2) additional list spots for Season Eight ( ie 2023 season)
I can't find anything saying that has been extended for 2024.

I have us at 30 players on the list. The draft isn't until 17th December and given we will go after Piper Window and probably one other highly rated junior player, I assume we have to cut 2 more players.

If I'm wrong then please list which other players we have cut. The key dates are as per listed in this thread on the draft, trading and free agency board.

1700369724955.png

Trade period from December 7th to 14th.
Draft taking place on December 18th.

I think will need some more midfield experience to take the next step and push for finals.

Really hope Piper ends up at Port. I can vouch first hand that she is an absolute ripper. I've trained with her and the speed she has on ridiculous. I'm not slow but was made to look like a 100 year old turtle flipped on their back chasing after her. Only queries were her disposal due to the speed she generated once she had the ball but watching her since this has improved dramatically. Finger crossed she is in a Port guernsey after the draft!

I think it is better for the tingles that Window nominates South Australia no?

Because if she did go national, Adelaide still probably wouldn't get her, an interstate club would cut their lunch, then Port would take the second best South Australian.

As it stands Port get Window and Adelaide get the second best South Australian.

I think it is better for the tingles that Window nominates South Australia no?

Because if she did go national, Adelaide still probably wouldn't get her, an interstate club would cut their lunch, then Port would take the second best South Australian.

As it stands Port get Window and Adelaide get the second best South Australian.

They would be getting the fifth best South Australian - we would've cleaned up the best four ;)

Assuming Croms dont trade up and both nominate SA; which one of Grigg and Boileau do you think we will get at our 2nd pick?

I'm genuinely excited to see what all the young talent can produce in the coming years. Hopefully multiple premierships!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back