Age-appropriate shows of support

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Sat behind a guy today who was wearing one of those hats with long colored dreadlocks and waving an Essendon flag after each goal. I feel that when you're old enough to sport a beard, as he also was, you're maybe a bit old for the other stuff.

I also think face paint on an adult is a bit odd.

Is it just me, or do you also think there are age limits on appropriate ways to show your support? I remember we had a thread a while ago on when you should stop wearing a club jumper - age or size - but there are so many more options now.

Sat behind a guy today who was wearing one of those hats with long colored dreadlocks and waving an Essendon flag after each goal. I feel that when you're old enough to sport a beard, as he also was, you're maybe a bit old for the other stuff.

Is it just me, or do you also think there are age limits on appropriate ways to show your support? I remember we had a thread a while ago on when you should stop wearing a club jumper - age or size - but there are so many more options now.

Anyone still in a cheer squad after 22 scares me. Bit of scout leader about it...

Also not sure why someone in their middle years would don a gold coloured mesh jacket towards the end of the game. Then again, when you live in the high rise flats in Collingwood you obviously have very little else to celebrate.

I think it's great. Saw a guy in the MCC members wearing a suit made out of Essendon bedsheets. Colorful personalities are being eroded out of lots of sports, let the supporter personalities be whoever they want to be.

Never get a Number on your jumper after the age of 18. It's just weird when you are older than the players whose number it is.

Why would you care less what someone sitting near you at the footy was wearing ?

In the USA Adults and Kids wear NFL gear to games , NHL gear to games , NBA gear to games.

In the UK Adults and kids wear EPL gear to games.

No doubt supporters in Asia and Sth America do to their sporting events.

Aussies wear cricket tops to the cricket , even AFL jumpers.

Yet in Australia some people seem to be insecure about any adult wearing a footy jumper , because of how it makes them feel ?

Why cannot you let people be happy wearing what they want to the footy ?

Could not agree more.

live and let live guys... who cares what someone is wearing at the footy?

i do slightly agree with the notion of not wearing the number of someone younger than you... but really, if one of those team-themed jester hats that were released about 15 years ago would fit over my enormous bonse, i'd totally wear one.

a couple of weeks ago saw a couple who both had their faces painted.

they brought their young kids to the game - who did not have their faces painted.

carlton supporters....

Who cares what others wear to the footy?? If they're not hurting anyone, let them be. I love seeing people of all ages wearing Crows guernseys to games - and I think it's weird when the back of the guernsey is blank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would you care less what someone sitting near you at the footy was wearing ?

In the USA Adults and Kids wear NFL gear to games , NHL gear to games , NBA gear to games.

In the UK Adults and kids wear EPL gear to games.

No doubt supporters in Asia and Sth America do to their sporting events.

Aussies wear cricket tops to the cricket , even AFL jumpers.

Yet in Australia some people seem to be insecure about any adult wearing a footy jumper , because of how it makes them feel ?

Why cannot you let people be happy wearing what they want to the footy ?

Face paint and jumper wearer spotted.

Im 30. I wear a guernsey to the footy. And a scarf. And if im feeling real outlandish I may even sport a cap with my clubs logo on it. Apparently this makes me a nuffie.

Not sure what people want to be honest. Back to the old days of everyone wearing a suit or tweed jacket to the football? Gee thats fun.

Though I do agree that face paint on anyone that can drive a car is a bit naff.

I don't see why people should care what anyone thinks about them at the footy. They are just there to support their team. They can wear what they want for all i care.
I wear our guernsey, and it has 16 on the back (im not older than Griff :p), but I am over 18. I usually wear a scarf too.
I wouldn't wear one of those jester hats, or any of that sort of stuff, but I don't care if people do.

Is this thread for real?

Does the same apply to the thousands of European/South American soccer fans who do the same, likewise NFL in the US or Japanese baseball fans.

Australia is a shockingly drab and self conscious nation. A place where passion, or self expression is deemed disturbing and/or juvenile?

Face paint and jumper wearer spotted.

James Brayshaw has bleated on enough about every team should have clash jumpers , so that supporters can buy them so as to make revenue for the club.

All clubs sell more adult jumpers than kids.

I suggest you buy a few Nth Melbourne jumpers , and even wear one occasionally , Nth Melbourne needs your money. :thumbsu:

Your club sponsor will be happy that their brand is being shown making it worthwhile for them sponsoring Nth Melbourne FC

James Brayshaw has bleated on enough about every team should have clash jumpers , so that supporters can buy them so as to make revenue for the club.

All clubs sell more adult jumpers than kids.

I suggest you buy a few Nth Melbourne jumpers , and even wear one occasionally , Nth Melbourne needs your money. :thumbsu:

I think wearing a jumper to the footy is ok but face paint is a bit embarrassing.

I'm not sure why everyone is talking about jumpers when the OP was referring to face paint and those stupid hat things.

I think wearing a jumper to the footy is ok but face paint is a bit embarrassing.

I'm not sure why everyone is talking about jumpers when the OP was referring to face paint and those stupid hat things.

Catman , Geelong fan , face painter , son of Geelong Premiership player the late Roy West , Troy West.

Self made man , millionaire , seen his club win 3 flags in 5 years , top bloke.

More fans should show as much passion as he does.

Troy-West-5677782.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back