Alex Keath - would anyone take the chance?

Remove this Banner Ad

We rookied Corey Adamson in pretty similar circumstances - ex footy player with a bright looking future, chose another sport but wasn't dominant and eventually came back to AFL. Almost no risk/cost for us to grab him and he's been playing pretty well at EP reserves level, good investment that will hopefully result in senior games.

Keath looks to have proved more with his footy than Adamson did and is also a more attractive height you would think for some clubs. Every club that can take him should be giving him a fairly good offer at this point.

All he needs a few good T20 performances, then he can jump from country to country playing in the T20 leagues for $$$

Alex Keath is a long way further from making serious money than "a few good T20 performances." Thus far he has only played three T20 matches!

I wanted to see Keath succeed with his choice for cricket ahead of football, and still hope he might, but so far he has only managed 7 1st class games for a batting average of 17.4 and 4 wickets.

Get your hand off it. A contract for a senior, established domestic cricketer is comfortably over six figures. Not to mention there is the lucrative nature of domestic T20 leagues both here and abroad. And overseas pro's playing county cricket is not exactly slumming it either. Yes, there is more money for a greater proportion of professional footballers, but to say that you can't get wealthy playing cricket is ludicrous.

You are the one with your hand on it pal and reading things that aren't even there :rolleyes:

Here's the post you quoted. Point out where I said "you can't get wealthy playing cricket" >

It's a big call for an all-round talent like Keath to choose cricket over football these days.

There's oodles of money to be made in football and it is well spread with 18 AFL teams each with lists of 40 odd players.

If you can't consistently make the Australian cricket team you'll never get wealthy playing cricket.

Last edited:

He's been given every chance and couldn't even cement a spot in the Vic side, and from all reports he would have been a top 5 pick, I reckon he's better off going to footy.

In hindsight he would have been better off choosing cricket. But not sure how he'd fair if he crossed back over to football now?

You are the one with your hand on it pal and reading things that aren't even there :rolleyes:

Here's the post you quoted. Point out where I said "you can't get wealthy playing cricket" >

You said you can't get wealthy if you can't consistently make the Australian cricket team. Please point out exactly where in my post that I mentioned the Australian cricket team :drunk:.

Considering you didn't bother reading it the first time I will reiterate my point:

A contract for a senior, established domestic cricketer is comfortably over six figures. Not to mention there is the lucrative nature of domestic T20 leagues both here and abroad. And overseas pro's playing county cricket is not exactly slumming it either.

Clear?

He's been given every chance and couldn't even cement a spot in the Vic side, and from all reports he would have been a top 5 pick, I reckon he's better off going to footy.

Not sure he has been given enough chances to be honest. Hopefully with Rodgers and Hussey leaving, he'll get more opportunities to show what he can do.
I'd like to see the vids give him a full season in first class and odis to see how he goes

You imagined I said "you can't get wealthy playing cricket" as a blanket statement, and very clearly that's not what I said at all.

....but to say that you can't get wealthy playing cricket is ludicrous.

Read what people post before going off half cocked making blanket statements of your own that don't even fit the discussion ;)

Here's what I wrote. Read it again >

If you can't consistently make the Australian cricket team you'll never get wealthy playing cricket.

I'm not going to waste my time spelling it out for you again. It's there in black & white ;)

Last edited:
Not sure he has been given enough chances to be honest. Hopefully with Rodgers and Hussey leaving, he'll get more opportunities to show what he can do.
I'd like to see the vids give him a full season in first class and odis to see how he goes

Keath still has age on his side, and as players like Rogers, Hussey and perhaps White make way he may still be able to establish himself in The Vic side. But higher honours look beyond him based on what we've seen from him so far.

Keath still has age on his side, and as players like Rogers, Hussey and perhaps White make way he may still be able to establish himself in The Vic side. But higher honours look beyond him based on what we've seen from him so far.

True, but he's had little time to establish himself. Just like to see him become a good solid state player

True, but he's had little time to establish himself. Just like to see him become a good solid state player

True, and I don't think anyone wants to see him fail at cricket.

But the thread is raising the question would anyone (football club that is) take a chance on him now at 23?

Clubs seem more and more inclined to look outside the square. So you couldn't discount the possibility a club might be interested in Keath. But his own level of interest and how his body might cope with football would obviously also need to be factored in too.

True, and I don't think anyone wants to see him fail at cricket.

But the thread is raising the question would anyone (football club that is) take a chance on him now at 23?

Clubs seem more and more inclined to look outside the square. So you couldn't discount the possibility a club might be interested in Keath. But his own level of interest and how his body might cope with football would obviously also need to be factored in too.

True. Be interesting to see if a club takes a chance. You'd think he'll be fit, but probably not afl fit. He needs to really make a call now as he'll need the next four months to get fit to a level he can complete pre season.

In terms of his body, being 23 I reckon he'll be fine.

Someone posted his stats earlier and they weren't flattering at all for his 7 games. I wonder even if his first grade stats are any good, never seems to get runs or wickets when I look.

EDIT: Averages 30 with the bat and 19 with the ball, solid stats but not worthy of a promotion as a batsman.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone posted his stats earlier and they weren't flattering at all for his 7 games. I wonder even if his first grade stats are any good, never seems to get runs or wickets when I look.

EDIT: Averages 30 with the bat and 19 with the ball, solid stats but not worthy of a promotion as a batsman.

Averaging 19 with the ball is pretty damned good!

If he hasn't played footy for a while, I think he'd qualify as a Cat-B rookie...bypass the draft and doesn't even take up a spot on the list, so his first year would be pretty 'cheap'.

You imagined I said "you can't get wealthy playing cricket" as a blanket statement, and very clearly that's not what I said at all.

Read what people post before going off half cocked making blanket statements of your own that don't even fit the discussion ;)

Here's what I wrote. Read it again >

I'm not going to waste my time spelling it out for you again. It's there in black & white ;)
And he showed how you CAN make money without consistent Australian performances. FFS!

And he showed how you CAN make money without consistent Australian performances. FFS!

Another one not reading what I wrote properly :rolleyes:

"Get wealthy playing cricket" was what I said. Not "make money." Most of us make money. Getting wealthy is something entirely different, and it's done by very few cricketers in this country who haven't played regularly for Australia, particularly when compared to 18 x 42 = 756 making good towards outrageous money playing AFL football.

Only the elite in cricket get rich. The spread of riches is far and away greater in football, and that is an undeniable fact.

That was my original point. The one he didn't read properly and you also seem to be having trouble with ;)

Last edited:
True. Be interesting to see if a club takes a chance. You'd think he'll be fit, but probably not afl fit. He needs to really make a call now as he'll need the next four months to get fit to a level he can complete pre season.

In terms of his body, being 23 I reckon he'll be fine.

It will be interesting to see what transpires from hereon :thumbsu:

Another one not reading what I wrote properly :rolleyes:

"Get wealthy playing cricket" was what I said. Not "make money." Most of us make money. Getting wealthy is something entirely different, and it's done by very few cricketers in this country who haven't played regularly for Australia, particularly when compared to 18 x 42 = 756 making good towards outrageous money playing AFL football.

Only the elite in cricket get rich. The spread of riches is far and away greater in football, and that is an undeniable fact.

That was my original point. The one he didn't read properly and you also seem to be having trouble with ;)

756 players making outrageous money? Again, take your hand off it. Rookie list players earn significantly less than six figures. I am a first year engineering graduate and I daresay what the majority of us get is as much if not more than they are on. First round draftees may be on six figure packages, but the rest of the draftees generally aren't. Unquestionably the contracts that come once you're a proven, established AFL level footballer exceed cricketers of a similar level in domestic cricket, but you reckon Mark Cosgrove, Aiden Blizzard, Travis Birt, Michael Hogan, Steve Magoffin, Dirk Nannes, Kane Richardson aren't doing bloody well for themselves? Whilst guys like Adam Voges, Andrew McDonald, James Hopes and Brad Hodge at various stages held CA central contracts, to use your words none were consistent fixtures in Australian squads.

You can live a very comfortable lifestyle built upon a career in domestic cricket.

If he hasn't played footy for a while, I think he'd qualify as a Cat-B rookie...bypass the draft and doesn't even take up a spot on the list, so his first year would be pretty 'cheap'.

Absolutely, but he was being picked in the middle order for Victoria as I remember, sounds like he could have nearly been picked as a bowler. But if you're weighing up a spot between him and Ian Holland well surely it's Dutchy every day of the week.

Not that great at grade level tbf.

756 players making outrageous money? Again, take your hand off it. Rookie list players earn significantly less than six figures. I am a first year engineering graduate and I daresay what the majority of us get is as much if not more than they are on. First round draftees may be on six figure packages, but the rest of the draftees generally aren't. Unquestionably the contracts that come once you're a proven, established AFL level footballer exceed cricketers of a similar level in domestic cricket, but you reckon Mark Cosgrove, Aiden Blizzard, Travis Birt, Michael Hogan, Steve Magoffin, Dirk Nannes, Kane Richardson aren't doing bloody well for themselves? Whilst guys like Adam Voges, Andrew McDonald, James Hopes and Brad Hodge at various stages held CA central contracts, to use your words none were consistent fixtures in Australian squads.

You can live a very comfortable lifestyle built upon a career in domestic cricket.
So you've named 13 players on top of the 25 with a central contract. When you consider the top half of AFL listed players earn in excess of 200k, that makes around 400 dudes. It is about 10 times as many and with a smaller gene pool.

756 players making outrageous money? Again, take your hand off it. .

Take a better read of the post you quoted >

Another one not reading what I wrote properly.

Getting wealthy is something entirely different, and it's done by very few cricketers in this country who haven't played regularly for Australia, particularly when compared to 18 x 42 = 756 making good towards outrageous money playing AFL football.

You seem totally incapable of reading what's actually posted :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Absolutely, but he was being picked in the middle order for Victoria as I remember, sounds like he could have nearly been picked as a bowler. But if you're weighing up a spot between him and Ian Holland well surely it's Dutchy every day of the week.

Victoria has an almost embarrassing depth of talent at the moment. As demonstrated by us winning the Sheffield Shield this season.

Alex Keath may even be better off heading interstate in order to secure more regular opportunities.

So you've named 13 players on top of the 25 with a central contract. When you consider the top half of AFL listed players earn in excess of 200k, that makes around 400 dudes. It is about 10 times as many and with a smaller gene pool.

It is an irrefutable fact there is a far and away wider spread of wealth in AFL football than cricket :thumbsu:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back