Alistair Clarkson. Next Crows coach???

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly, big difference between saying "I won't coach the crows next year" and "they haven't spoken to me...".

Chances are we wouldn't have spoken directly to Clarkson, but we very well could have an agreement all worked with his management, with him only needing to sign on the dotted line one the Hawks season is up.

I don't think there's much chance of us getting Clarkson, but players and coaches are generally pretty good these days with the media. They get their spin doctor training.
Highly unlikely! The bottom line is Clarkson would first need to be open to leaving Hawks let alone move to Adelaide before we would entertain proceeding to the agreement worked out! We might make a framework offer but not the final agreement. Clarkson would need to be open to moving before we proceed that far.

Exactly, big difference between saying "I won't coach the crows next year" and "they haven't spoken to me...".

Chances are we wouldn't have spoken directly to Clarkson, but we very well could have an agreement all worked with his management, with him only needing to sign on the dotted line one the Hawks season is up.

I don't think there's much chance of us getting Clarkson, but players and coaches are generally pretty good these days with the media. They get their spin doctor training.
If there wasn't some sort of out clause, would he say "I'm contracted for 2 more years" rather than "they haven't spoken to me"? Possibly a strange choice of words.

Highly unlikely! The bottom line is Clarkson would first need to be open to leaving Hawks let alone move to Adelaide before we would entertain proceeding to the agreement worked out! We might make a framework offer but not the final agreement. Clarkson would need to be open to moving before we proceed that far.

Agreed, all I'm saying is you have to be careful of what coaches/players say. They often say I haven't spoken to such and such, which is true, but their manager very well could have on their behalf.

We haven't approached Clarkson yet, and of course we haven't spoken to him. He's preparing for a GF this weekend. Anyone who thinks he's also weighing up offers to coach another club in the midst of that is kidding themselves.

If we've got any nous whatsoever though, we've spoken to his manager and sounded him out. And if we have, his manager will probably talk to Clarkson about it after the GF next week and things will either stop or go from there.

So he's 100% right when he says we haven't asked him. That's why people have managers. So they don't have to deal with this kind of stuff and they can plausibly say at some stage down the line 'I never spoke to (insert club) until after the season ended'.

I could actually see this happening, There is no doubt he hasn't been approached yet, But I am 99% sure they would of spoken to his management, I am pretty sure i heard something on tv the other night about the news tonight talking about it.

There obviously is an out-clause in his contract or he would not of said "they haven't approached me yet" He would of said I have 2 years left.

It is a long shot though, the most likely person it will be is Stuart Dew, paying at $2.50 on sportsbet, While Clarkson is paying at $14. Wouldn't put it past the crows though Clarko will go for the right price.

I could actually see this happening, There is no doubt he hasn't been approached yet, But I am 99% sure they would of spoken to his management, I am pretty sure i heard something on tv the other night about the news tonight talking about it.

There obviously is an out-clause in his contract or he would not of said "they haven't approached me yet" He would of said I have 2 years left.

It is a long shot though, the most likely person it will be is Stuart Dew, paying at $2.50 on sportsbet, While Clarkson is paying at $14. Wouldn't put it past the crows though Clarko will go for the right price.
Put half a million on Clarko, then offer him the winnings.

Put it this way, the only way I'd barrack for Sydney this week is if I thought Clarko would prefer to move on from Hawks for a new challenge UNLESS he had a shot at a three-peat.

If a Hawks win actually meant we had a better chance, well then I'll never cheer louder for Mummy's Boy than this week!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back