All-Australian team (Franklin, Kennedy, Smith, Malceski in)

Remove this Banner Ad

Always hard to get 5 in, and you normally have to have 1 good season before an AA spot, so Parker should get one next year. So happy for Nick Smith! The team is a lot more balanced, at least they didn't chuck Heppell on the HB flank or some other mid on the HFF. No Harvey is good lol

It's kind of funny when you consider that in 2007, Geelong won 18 games and got 9 players in in, and we won 17 this year and got 4. But that's more a reflection of incompetency in the 2007 selectors than this year's.

Really happy for all the players obviously, none moreso than Smith and Franklin. Franklin as it gives immediate reinforcement that his move to Sydney was not a mistake for his career. And Smith for obvious reasons. To be honest I never thought he'd receive outside recognition but I'm glad that he did. Negating players like Rioli, Betts, Ballantyne and Wingard is very important these days. Unfortunately he was toweled up by Bruest and hopefully he has a better game if we meet Hawks in the GF lol.

Franklin, Goodes, O'Keefe*, Kennedy, Hannebrey, Jack, Mcveigh, Richards, Malceski, Smith. Off the top of my head I believe that is the most All-Australians of any club in the AFL. Mcglynn, Tippett and Parker could easily be AA next year too if they have improved years - so It's a bright future. To think that we were once considered a blue collar team of role players.

Last edited:

I like the decision to pick players in position for the most part. I'd much rather see players like Smith and Balantyne getting recognition than another 3 or 4 mids stuffed into the side.

Great result for the club. Especially for Smith.

Parker unlucky. A bit like Jetta in 2012. Just got lost in the roles towards the end of the season and did his job without the flair required to get the AA selectors' attentions perhaps?

Yep, I'm not the only one to agree ... great player that Pendlebury is, his AA spot it a token gesture ... no way in the world he was better than Parker.

I agree to a degree. People forget how good Pendles was in the first 12-15 games. That is what they have picked him off. If he was like Ablett and stopped playing after round 15 people wouldn't question his inclusion. Had a ripper of a start to the year. Poor end though. I would have had Parker in over Ballentyne or Rockliff (who isn't that damaging yet)

I agree to a degree. People forget how good Pendles was in the first 12-15 games. That is what they have picked him off. If he was like Ablett and stopped playing after round 15 people wouldn't question his inclusion. Had a ripper of a start to the year. Poor end though. I would have had Parker in over Ballentyne or Rockliff (who isn't that damaging yet)

Definitely true that people who finish strong get viewed favourably by the selectors. Also on Rockliff, I was tossing up whether or not to put him in the team but eventually pulled the trigger on account of his underrated 9 tackles a game stat. That is a phenomenal amount of pressure to put on the opposition when you consider that many teams in the AFL only average 55-60 a game. If he wants to be an automatic selection next year though, I think he'll have to try and kick a few more goals for his team and it'd also help if he played in big games more often. That's kind of how Heppel got in and how Jones did not.

Definitely true that people who finish strong get viewed favourably by the selectors. Also on Rockliff, I was tossing up whether or not to put him in the team but eventually pulled the trigger on account of his underrated 9 tackles a game stat. That is a phenomenal amount of pressure to put on the opposition when you consider that many teams in the AFL only average 55-60 a game. If he wants to be an automatic selection next year though, I think he'll have to try and kick a few more goals for his team and it'd also help if he played in big games more often. That's kind of how Heppel got in and how Jones did not.

Yes look at the end of the day, I feel this is the best balanced side they have named, period. None of this naming rovers in the forward line (i.e. Dane Swan). I wouldn't have picked Rockliff but I knew they would. I just have an issue that every time a tagger plays Brisbane they don't bother about Rockliff (Hanley cops the tag). Yes he tackles...so does Ben Howlett, lets give him an AA spot while we are at it. If we were giving a spot on pure disposals, Priddis deserved it more. Heppell was massive while Watson was away but honestly was a 50/50 call for mine. I would have had Lewis starting personally but that is a minor point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back