Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Mark “Mr Anzac” McGough

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

1018-Rowe_Brad.jpg

1162-Brown_Leigh.jpg

995-Damian_Monkhorst.jpg

I had Billy Pickens number as a kid, loved “Charlie” but my all time favourite cult player never played a senior game. Fatui Atata. He was an amazing athlete who was before his time. If he played these days he’d would have proper development coaching and been a star. Still I did enjoy the early starts watching the reserves.

I would have thought Swanny had a fair bit of cult status about him. Superstar, but was beating to a different sort of drum than the norm. Of the list though, James Manson for sure. Gave you a bit of a laugh every time he kicked it

I had Billy Pickens number as a kid, loved “Charlie” but my all time favourite cult player never played a senior game. Fatui Atata. He was an amazing athlete who was before his time. If he played these days he’d would have proper development coaching and been a star. Still I did enjoy the early starts watching the reserves.
Yess! I forgot all about Fatui. Gotta be the only Tongan to play the game surely? Had some wheels considering he was 6”5’ too.

Some great highlights of him here:

Yess! I forgot all about Fatui. Gotta be the only Tongan to play the game surely? Had some wheels considering he was 6”5’ too.

Israel Folau has Tongan heritage, and has represented the country at Rugby Union, so should qualify on that score. Whether or not you want to class him as a footballer may be another matter!!

As for Fatui Ataata, I've seen those highlights before. I'm staggered that someone with his size and speed couldn't manage even one senior game with us, and he wasn't picked up by another club when his time at Collingwood ended. He spent 5 seasons with the club (1981-85) playing U19's then Reserves, and wasn't given even a Night Series/Pre-Season game. Perhaps he made a few mistakes that balanced out some of the good things he did, as there had to be something that held him back?!

I was a big Ron Mckeon fan. Mobile tank with superb hands, an old school Captain Pugwash Pirate looking big boy.

He had a broken bone in his foot fixed with a screw and it woukd break the skin every time he played, constant infections meant he found consistency hard to sustain.

Missed the 1990 GF because lethal wanted to run Essendon to shreds ( and it worked) but the way the ball was coming in he would have kicked 7. Theres a sad shot lf him looking on during the game, happy for his mates but sad to miss out, and thoughtfully sneaking a bit of wax from his ear into thecside of his mouth with his finger.

Came on late vs St Kilda in 1992 final at Waverly and kicked 4? 5? in the last quarter to give them a scare. How we loved Ron.
I thought he missed the GF because Leigh wanted a taller opponent for Salmon in Christian? Ronnie would have given more run than him.

Definitely has some things you can’t teach.

I thought he missed the GF because Leigh wanted a taller opponent for Salmon in Christian? Ronnie would have given more run than him.
Ron would have been full forward, replacing the hate filled Brian Taylor. We dominated the midfield so hard but Terry and Tony Danihar did their best (Terry also snotted Brownie, an uncharacteristic act) and marked a heap of high balls.

Had Taylor or Mckeon played they'd have had a field day. Even with bung knees BT had trap hands, and Ronnie could sprint and leap and kick them from 50.

We still blew them away and the endless run was a factor, so Lethal was right, but had we known Essendon were so leg weary going in we could have pulled off a 10 goal hiding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cult hero for sure and fondly remembered. Jeepers those highlights, he ran hard and fast, his hands werent terrible, what happened?

IMG_3201.jpeg
A couple of cult heroes of sorts....... yourboy Fatui Ataata and his mate John Bourke who celebrated his birthday last weekend

I voted for the Anvil because he needs more love and to give any potetial Trumps just enough ammo to hang
themselves.

Clearly it's between Wilbur and Dids.
Anvil chronically underrated.

Back